1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic Professional Wrestling

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Feb 25, 2021.

1. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

Baron Mikel Scicluna of the island of Malta was one of my favorites.
    He always lost but would put up a good fight..

I grew up right between DC and Baltimore so got to watch it at 11 and 4 on Saturdays..

Scicluna250.jpg

MisterZ and uriah1 like this.
  2. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I saw a TV documentary on pro wrestling camp and tryouts. I gained a whole new appreciation for the athletic abilities of pro wrestlers. There were some guys who thought they were in pretty good shape until arriving and participating in the camp. It was very grueling and a lot of participants didn't make it past the first day. I think it was a couple weeks in length.

Make no mistake, these guys are true, high level, professional athletes. And they work extremely hard at their chosen sport occupation. Even though it's highly choreographed you still have to be in top physical condition to participate in an hour of non-stop, choreographed wrestling. Not to mention the daily gym time it requires. After watching the documentary I came away with a new appreciation for these athletes and their dedication.

3. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When a kid my favorite heels were the Masked Medics, famous for using the “foreign object”, from Dothan, AL with Gordon Solie. We got a snowy reception in Albany GA where I spent the elementary years.

Fast forward to my late thirties enjoying a few years in a bluegrass band. I got to meet one of the Medics who led a bluegrass band himself.

I turned into a complete fanboy, I just could not help it.

Sorry, I can’t reveal his name. Kayfabe.

privatesalt, MisterZ and tery like this.
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

if any of you guys have ever stepped in a wrestling ring.. the mat is so much less forgiving than you expect. It absolutely knocked the wind out of me. It's no wonder these guys end up hooked on all sorts of pain meds. I can't imagine going off a top rope to this mat. It wasn't much more forgiving that a garage floor, to be honest.

And a huge percentage throw their health away, and never make it to the big stages.

OlRedNeckHippy, scook and tery like this.
  5. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

One of my favorite aspects of it all was the good guy/bad guy announcer shticks.

Jessie The Body Ventura, especially when paired with good guy announcer Gorilla Monsoon, was a great one at the snarky put-downs of good guy wrestlers.

Of The Country Boys (Uncle Elmer, Hillbilly Jim, Cousin Luke, and Cousin Junior): "How'dya like them to do your taxes?"

Of the British Bulldogs, as they were gap-toothedly receiving cheers for a victory: "Looks like those boys floss with rope."

When a bad guy wrestler would be cheating--say, with a foreign object--Jessie would say, "Whaddaya mean, he's cheatin'? He's just bein' resourceful. You got somethin' against America now, Gorilla?"

When a bound-to-lose wrestler was being announced as "From parts unknown, weight unknown," Jessie said: "Parts unknown. The only place in the world without a scale."

drlucky likes this.
  6. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Anybody see The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke? I highly recommend it - especially if you grew up watching pro wrestling.

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

The Lumberjacks - Stan Kowalski and Tiny Mills (AWA Tag Team Champions)

[​IMG]

Engine Swap likes this.
  8. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

Edgar “Special Delievery” Jones.
    “The Unpredictable ” Johnny Rodz.

Face and Heel jobbers. Probably two of the best.

Diamond Dallas Page and his “Diamond Cutter”. Sort of a poor mans DDT.

I’ve met Manny Fernandez, Al Snow and actually hung out with Mick Foley, who is one of the koolest guys on the planet.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  9. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Saturday mornings it would be on the local station, taped from the Philadelphia Arena. I'd go to my neighbors house where three generations would watch. The grandfather took it seriously which was almost as entertaining as the show. Bruno, Chief Jay, Haystacks, Andre, George Steele, Toru Tanaka, Mr. Fuji etc. and managers Lou Albano, The Grand Wizard and Fred Blassie. We went to the Spectrum to see steel cage matches and the like, they were great shows. I lost interest when Hulk Hogan came on the scene though. Great times while it lasted.

electrichead, drlucky and elihu like this.
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I still don't know if that wresting match with the dude from Taxi was legit.

nickmsmith likes this.
  11. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In addition to those mentioned, I liked Blackjack Mulligan. I wasn't a huge fan of wrestling but watched fairly often.

A friend of mine once made the distinction that wrestling was what they did in the Olympics, but wrasslin' was what we watched on TV.

drlucky likes this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

A little story.

Us kids were invited to watch a match by our wrestling neighbor. We got to meet a lot of wrestlers (Rock 'n Roll Buck Zumoff, Jim the Leg, etc.) and our neighbor was in the feature (Baron Von Raski)....he got the hell beat of him and was carried off covered in blood. We were young kids and cried all the way home thinking our neighbor was killed.

My Father took us over to his house to show that our neighbor was fine. Raski came to the door, greeted us and I asked if he was okay since we saw him get killed. He laughed it off and said the only thing that hurt was a cut he sustained on his nose because the other wrestler had long fingernails...."Stings in the shower".

drlucky and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  13. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Now the best name I ever heard for a wrestler was the legendary "Mongolian Stomper".

Hard to beat that kind of name for viual imagery. The dude looked like just one big fist.

elihu likes this.
  14. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

The stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' and dealin' son of a gun. Woooo!

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

By random chance, I found this picture from Gary X in Indiana. It's Bruiser's headstone.

DTB grave marker, by Gary X in Indiana.jpg

Milspec and tery like this.
  16. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I was a big Rasslin fan in my tween or early teen years. Maybe 11 or 12 to 14 or 15.

We got the Central States "All Star Wrestling" out of Kansas City on TV.

Back in the territory dayz, before WWF/WWE took over, wrestlers moved around between promotions quite a bit.

And villains/heels were king, because you could generate heat by showing up and insulting then challenging the local hero.

The promoters agreed to share their talent, because they were all in it together. Many of them owned parts of different promotional territories.

So Kansas City and St. Louis shared a lot of talent. And St. Louis, in part because of its location, was the center of the pro wrestling universe. so we got people from all over the country.

I got to see many of the wrestlers named so far on TV.
    Andre the Giant (as a youngster, that man was amazing--he could jump from the floor over the top rope into the ring);
    The Iron Sheik (he never really caught on as a villain in Kansas City);
    Bobo Brazil (he and Rufus R Jones were a very popular tag team, but I don't think they ever won the title);
    Haystacks Calhoun (that guy was HUGE);
    Bulldog Bob Brown (I remember him as a villain/heel; I think he turned face at some point);
    Baron Von Raschke (always a villain/heel; we still hated the Germans);
    Bob Geigel (very popular even as he aged);
    The Stomper (aka the Mongolian Stomper; I'm pretty sure he was actually Canadian).

We also got Roger Kirby, all of the Funks, Jim Brunzell, Bob Orton (the grandfather of the current wrestling Orton), and I'm forgetting many names.

And it seemed like the tag team champs were almost always Japanese wrestlers, who threw salt in the faces of their American opponents, thereby getting disqualified, but keeping the title.

The biggest stars in that time and place were Rufus R Jones as the face/hero and Harley Race as the heel/villian.
    They were MAGIC in the ring together.
    "This is a no disqualification match. This match can only be stopped by a doctor."
    Well, guess what?
    Later on, Rufus helped make Ric Flair famous.

I realize in retrospect that I lost interest about the same time that Rufus and Harley relocated.

Harley Race became an international star and moved to Florida, where he booked that promotion and got more national/international exposure.

About the same time, Rufus started wrestling more in the Carolinas (Mid-South I think it was called) and Georgia promotions.

I would pay big bucks still today to see some of those matches.

Milspec likes this.
  17. Chooglin59

Chooglin59 Tele-Meister

Used to go see it back in the '70s at the Municipal Auditorium in Shreveport, La. (the Louisiana Hayride venue)...
    Dusty Rhodes the American Dream
    Dirty Dick Murdock
    Killer Karl Kox
    Buckley Christopher George Robley III (Nobody Calls me Yellow)
    Danny Hodge
    Grizzly Smith
    Skandor Akbar
    Cowboy Bill Watts
    The Assassins
    Dr. X

Back when wrestling was real, ;-)

Chester P Squier and drlucky like this.
  18. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Oh man...

I started watching in the old WWWF days, when Bruno Sammartino was the invincible champ, and Pedro Morales was the #1 face contender. Top heels were Stan Stasiak, Killer Kowalski, Larry "The Ax" Hennig.

Suddenly I found some other weird wrestling on one of the Spanish-language stations; turns out it was NWA from Los Angeles. When I started reading the fanzines (Inside Wrestlinh et. al.) I learned all about Jack Brisco, the Gagnes (AWA), and people I'd never seen before.

Then I saw The Sheik.

He threw fire.

He used a pencil to carve up his opponents' foreheads.

I had nightmares for days after that. (I was probably only 10 or 11.)

Workrate may be up nowadays, but it was way more fun back then

19. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

They all had their territories back then. I was in the Mid Atlantic territory, so among the biggies in the 70's you had Ric Flair, Greg Valentine, Ole and Gene Anderson (Minnesota Wrecking Crew), Blackjack Mulligan, Wahoo McDaniels, Paul Jones, Nikita Koloff, and Johnny Weaver. Guys from the other territories like Dusty Rhodes, the Brisco brothers, Terry Funk, etc. would come through too.

elihu likes this.
  20. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.