Classic Players Jazzmaster value seems to have gone up a lot...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by chris m., Jul 13, 2021.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I checked the serial number on my Classic Player's Jazzmaster and it was built in 2008-2009. It's a great guitar, but I was actually toying with the idea of letting it go. I checked on Reverb and the lowest sale price posted is $799. I'm kind of surprised seeing I got it for about half that, although that was in probably around 2012. Anybody got an idea of what these are actually going for?

If I'm looking at doubling my money that's a decent return, although I'm sure the S&P500 delivered even better than that over the same time frame. Yup, quick look at SPDRs shows it went from about $134 to $436 in that time frame....an increase of around 325%.

upload_2021-7-13_11-33-39.png

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I seem to remember them being around $800 new when I first took a shine to JM's 4 or 5 years ago, so if anything I'd think you got a good deal and they've just held their value.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. chris m.

Yeah, but I'm talking used prices. It seems that the rosewood is one factor keeping the price higher since you can't readily get rosewood fingerboards these days.

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

I paid $700 no sale tax cash money for a cp jaguar after haggling at a local store ten years ago.

5. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah $800+ is what they're going for these days. My nephew just bought one. I have one from like 2010-2011. Anyway, like seemingly all used guitars these days, prices have climbed.

6. chris m.

With a J Mascis at $499 new and their very solid reviews, I'm actually toying with the idea of selling my CP and getting the J Mascis. I like jumbo frets and my guitar is getting close to needing a fret leveling....

I would actually come out ahead financially and still have a really nice JM with pretty much the same features. The only reason to stick with what I have are 1) dealing with picky buyers that try to return an "as is" sale; and 2) having Fender on the headstock instead of Squier. And having an older, more "vintage" guitar, which is kind of cool, I guess.

7. superbadj

I'd say it's not old enough to matter in terms of being "vintage" at all.

I don't think the JM Jazzy offers anything different than what you have except for the frets, but that's not nothin. But you're definitely going from a more valuable to a less valuable guitar. So make sure the frets are worth the difference in market value. You could probably refret your guitar or change necks and come out ahead.

8. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I bought these Squier Jazzmasters used off craigslist in 2013, $550 for the pair.

[​IMG]

Squier J. Mascis & Vintage Modified Jazzmasters.

richiek65 and sotob like this.
  9. chris m.

Which do you like better, and why? Or maybe you like the J Mascis for these attributes and you like the VM for these other features. But please do tell. One thing I wouldn't like about the quasi-Mustang bridge on the VM- my understanding is that it doesn't properly rock when you use the tremolo. Instead it moves to a new spot but doesn't rock back to the original spot. Seems like this would result in unstable intonation. I once owned an actual Mustang and that's why I sold it-- I couldn't keep the intonation stable.

10. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

I bought my CP back in 2008 for $650. I was thinking of selling as well last year, but it feels and sound great. It now sports a 4 way switch ala Johnny Marr.

4way.jpeg I

11. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

It's hard to say my favourite: I prefer the VMJM's closeness to the original Jazzmaster (though the Bridge pickup is way too hot, I later replaced them with vintage-voiced pickups, as well as upgrading the entire harness). The Masics' sound is its own thing, it works well for heavier music. The Vintage Modified gets closer to those classic Jazzmaster tones that my original '62 had.

The JMJM's neck feels very comfortable, I think I like it better.

I prefer the VMJM's rocking bridge over the Tune-o-matic style on the J. Mascis model, although the threaded saddles are a bit fiddly. Shimming the neck helped on it with getting a better break angle.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  12. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I bought mine for $450 2 years ago.

13. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Try it with flatwounds. I was gonna sell mine until I put a set of Thomastick-Infelds onit.

62 Jazzmaster likes this.
  14. superbadj

yeah flats sound great on a Jazzy. Done that many times.

15. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

For what it's worth I second this. I tried both and loves the JMJM but wanted a more traditional JM so I went with the VM. I replaced the pickups with Novaks which can be prcey but they were having a nice sale :D

I also wound up with a Mastery bridge. The original is fine (if fiddly, like @62 Jazzmaster said), but I wanted to use 10's on it (not that that's impossible with the original bridge, but it take a lot of dialing in and you may or may not get there depending on what you want from the guitar). Shimming did help a lot, though.

16. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member

pre-COVID I bought a used JM version with a rosewood board in excellent condition with the following upgrades for about $500.

Complete rewire with cloth pushback
    Seymour Duncan Antiquity I Bridge
    Antiquity II Neck

All parts 3 way toggle
    Alpha 1 meg pots in normal circuit
    Tone cap is vintage PIO
    Switchcraft Jack
    (Bass circuit untouched)

Prices really have gone nuts lately.

17. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Take Reverbs word. I noticed that people were asking over $1000 for Squier Jazzmaster Antigua Baritones and selling them. I paid $249 for mine 7 years ago so I threw it up on Reverb for $900 plus shipping and sold it in 2 days. Never played it anyways. Why anyone would pay that is beyond me but they did! I guess some famous metal guy was using them and they were discontinued.

richiek65 likes this.
  18. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Had my JMJM about a month.

Squier punches well above its price point (mine was ~$430 new, shipped). Not the Squier of decades past.

Puts Fender in a bind when the consumer wonders “why pay more $ when the cheaper stuff is so good?”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.