Classic Player Jazzmaster tone? Real or fake JM?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Thenewguy11, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Thenewguy11

Thenewguy11 TDPRI Member

Hi there

I’m just wondering how much different the CPJM which has p90 like pickups is to a traditional Jazzmaster in terms of sound and tone?

I’ve read different opinions ranging from “it’s not a real Jazzmaster, it’s a different guitar encased in a Jazzmaster’s body” to “it still sounds like a Jazzmaster but with more mid end and less treble.

I guess I just want to ask if you guys reckon the CPJM pickups still give any resemblance tonally of a Jazzmaster or if the CP is in fact a completely different guitar that bears zero to a qualities of a Jazzmaster.

kindly

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

If they are similar to the j mascis jazzmaster pickups then they are just p-90’s, completely different Pickup

Nothing really jangles like real jazzmaster pickups

The Seymour Duncan antiquity series are pretty good

I don’t like the trem placement on the classic players either, completely different animal, although a pickup change is close enough to a “real” jazzmaster if it’s all you can afford

The bridge being different isn’t really a big deal to me as I like both the original and tune o’ matic bridges

You may get it and dig the pickups the way they are, they’re not bad just different

3. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I have a CP Jazzmaster. I've played traditional Jazzmasters. I also have a Curtis Novak Jazzmaster pickup that I used to have installed in a Telecaster.

Here's my take: there's a difference, yes, but the overall sound is still pretty JM-like. No it's not identical, as the CP has pickups that are more P90-style (though not quite exactly like a P90). But the scale length, body shape/weight, pickup location, the floating trem (even though on the CP it's moved), and the bridge all play a role in developing the sound of a guitar. And the CP has those JM traits.

It'll sound somewhat different than a pure JM for sure. But it's in the family.

4. superbadj

Put it this way: I've always planned to put that Novak pickup in my CP JM, but haven't because I like the sound of the pickups in there. I'll do it someday, and it'll probably be a slight upgrade and a nudge towards a traditional JM sound. But the stock pickups sound good, and not just like a typical P90 guitar.

5. Thenewguy11

Thenewguy11 TDPRI Member

That’s what I’m after in this thread:

just to know if the guitar is still considered as part of the JM family in terms of tone (still retains some Jazzmaster qualities tonally), or if it’s just a Jazzmaster by shape only (ie Jim Root JM or HH blacktop JMs)

6. superbadj

Yep, I'd consider it part of the family, personally.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.