1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic Player 60s fretboard radius?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by phydeaux99, Oct 17, 2007.

1. phydeaux99

phydeaux99 TDPRI Member

Every spec I've seen on these notes a 12" radius. I picked up a CP 60s in Guitar Center today and the red pick guard sticker clearly says "Modern 9.5" fretboard radius". What gives?

Does anyone know if any of these were produced with the 9.5" radius instead of the advertised 12"?

[​IMG]

2. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

It is 12" radius. They all have the sticker with the wrong radius printed on it. Fender's attention to detail leaves a lot to be desired.
    Out of interest, are the pickups signed by Abigail and dated on your model or do they just have plain grey bobbins ?

3. phydeaux99

phydeaux99 TDPRI Member

Sorry I should have clarified. I picked up and played but didn't purchase.

I do suspect the sticker to be correct though because, in terms of playability, the neck was not even close to the other CP 60s I've played. At first I thought this was due to GC's unspoken "no setup" policy but after a side-by-side "eyeball" comparison with the 12" SRV it definitely didn't appear to be the same radius.

4. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

I can assure you, if it is a 60's CP, it will be 12" radius. It is part of the masterbuild design as is the 9.5" radius of the 50's C.P.
    All the stickers were printed with 9.5" radius on them which is correct for the 50's but wrong for the 60's.

5. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Whatever the radius, I bought one last weekend and I think it's a great Strat. I haven't looked at the pickups, Scotland, but from what I've read elsewhere they only have the grey bobbins. Maybe because I've been in the Gibson zone for the past couple years but they sound a little bright to me but have a lot of character. My last Strat was a John Mayer and this one feels as well made and I prefer the tone over the JM.

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

They are 12" radius. The sticker is a typo the 50's CP has the 9.5.

There really isnt THAT much difference in the feel of the 9.5 and 12" radius.

So its easy to believe its a 9.5.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The neck can feel different from another 12 inch radius Strat and still be 12. Everyone but the guy at Fender who ordered the stickers knows the specifications.
    There's alway the remote possibility it is a mismatched neck, not unheard of but not likely either. I did (try to) play a blonde early NOS MIM Baja at a GC in El Toro I think, which allegedly came from Ensenada with a traditional three way setup. And one my my four MIM Nashvilles, at 2006 came from GC new with the domed 50's Classic Tele/Esquire knobs on it, tho that is easily switched. (Yes, of course I like it.)
    Every single 60's Classic Player sticker has the wrong info; I remember trying to convince myself it might be 9.5, the first time I played one a while back.

Bubbanov

8. odiemann

odiemann Tele-Afflicted

12" I think

I bought one, it feels like a little flatter than 9.5 to me. It took a little adjustment for me but was comfortable after a while. Plus my son really liked it.

+1 on the John Meyer model, this one sounded better to me, and I played two JM's in a week. I also liked it better for tone over the Eric Johnson model.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.