Classic hardware store trips.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 13, 2019.

How often does your trip to the hardware store become 2 trips, 3 or a project?

1. Rarely.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. 25% of the time.

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. 50% of the time.

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  4. Most of the time.

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

How often does your 1 trip to the hardware store become 2 - 3? I'm sure this is common based on my experience and seeing same

Yesterday's classic made me think of this.

gwjensen likes this.
  2. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I was in the hardware business for 15 years so I pretty much know what I need for a project. So for me rarely.

3. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

I visualize projects very well and get everything I need in 1 trip.

Then I go a second time because I realize half way that I want my project to be bigger and better than imagined.

gwjensen and imwjl like this.
  4. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Plumbing is the worst. I purposely overbuy so it is only one trip back to return what I didn't use.

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't go to the hardware store because they don't have anything useful, exept for hand drills and a drill stand, both of which I have. They don't have bandsaw blades, and they think you're coming from another planet if you even ask for bandsaws. They don't even have any decent plywood or MDF for making a body, maybe some substandard MDF.

Electronic stores, on the other hand, I go 3 or 4 times because I forget some resistors or something. But then again, they don't have axial electrolytics or decent pots or jacks, so sometimes have to make multiple net orders because I forget something.

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

About 25% of the time. I'm usually good at thinking a project through from beginning to end, so the 25% is for unforeseen issues.

Tommy Biggs and gwjensen like this.
  7. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

No matter how small the project, it always seems to be two trips...

Obsessed likes this.
  8. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

Remodeling my boy's room. Did the bathroom last summer. Daughter's room before that. Home Depot and Lowe's knew my face, I promise you that. And I overbought and returned. Returned and overbought. Again and again.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m a 50%-er.
    I often make an error or 3.
    Doh!

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That kicked off the chain reaction this week. I misjudged size - thought I'd just stop on my way home. Then when I had the right toilet connector fastening to the old valve mechanism started a leak. Of course before it all started I did remind myself the stuff might be as old as the 1981 house and I should do a whole toilet guts replacement.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a regular at the local hardware store. I'm in there a few times a week.
    Mostly for hardware, sometimes just for the BBQ Sausage and onion on bread.

Obsessed likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Inevitably when I go to town (20 mile round trip), I stop at the hardware store. I think they have named the nuts and bolts isle after me. I'm an inventor of sorts and do some of my inventing in the hardware store. I play poker with the owner and one of the sales people is a working bass player, so I'll grab some popcorn and visit too.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I overbuy for sure, but I still wind up going back.

I also wind up going to 2 or 3 stores pretty often looking for what I want in the first place.

14. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

When my neighbor and I were both building our houses, and living in them at the same time, we developed this formula: Estimated time for a project X 2, and taken to the next order of magnitude. Thus, a project you estimate will take 2 hours will actually take 4 days. A significant part of this is repeated trips to the hardware/lumber store.

15. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nearly every time, most recently yesterday. :lol:

Often the extra trip is because I can't find something I need, that I know I have around here somewhere.

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

For the kinds of stuff I buy in Home Depot or Ace, one trip usually suffices unless something I bought turns out to be the wrong item. But I rarely buy anything more than fill in's and supplies there. I never do a major home project out of a hardware store. I buy lumber from a lumber yard and buy fasteners and any tools I'll need while I'm there. I buy paint, brushes, rollers, and such from a real paint store and electrical fixtures from an electrical supply store. I buy plants and garden tools from a real garden center. What's most important to me is doing a job right and doing it once. In the long run I'm better off buying quality from the specialty retailer than Chinese made junk from Home Depot. I get better advice from the specialty retailer and almost never need to return anything because I'm dissatisfied with it.

17. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I am a native of Oakland CA but I have been living in the Netherlands for 20 years. Whenever I get back to the States for a visit, one of my favorite things to do is visit a proper hardware store. And I usually go back 3 or 4 times. I don't buy much, I just enjoy the experience.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  18. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I live 45 miles from one so I buy in bulk even on Amazon.
    In the little town I was born in, the Hardware also had the boose store .
    I gotta go to town for (bolts , nails,hinges) had a whole different meaning:lol::twisted:

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My cousin has been a mechanic all his life. He claims 3 trips to the auto parts store is generally necessary for any job done in his home garage (he just recently retired from the city)

He's just recently taken up baking, and claims the same rule is relevant for trips to the grocery

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Most of the time, I get everything in one trip. I'm good at making a parts list and thinking about what I'll need. But not always.Maybe every three or four trips will require an extra.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.