Classic 60's Tele or Baja?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sbpark, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

i know these are very different guitars as far as neck radius, frets and pickups, but as far as built quality and overall 'solid' guitar which would you prefer? the baja seems like a 'modernized' tele with the increased switching options and pickups, but just as an overall good quality guitar what is your recommendation? from what i have been reading on here the baja is a great guitar, but you have to weed through a bunch of them to find a really nice one. as far as the 60's Classic Teles go it seems like these are more consistent, and have even read that several people think this is the best production tele made currently. so just going on your experience which of these do you think is the better guitar overall regarding quiality?

2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Both are good guitars = good quality. Pick the one that feels right for you. Can't go wrong with either model if you find one you like. You may be seeing more good stuff on '60s Classics because they are rarer. Seen Bajas in stores here & there, '60s Classics are rare in the same joints.

What I'm saying is: choose by tone, feel, how it grabs you. I owned a '60s & it was great, played Bajas & they weren't for me because of the neck profile. Many guys here love the Baja cuz it works for them. Your choice.

3. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

They're both made in the same factory, so the quality should be the same.

You'll find over one hundred fifty people that will probably disagree with that.

People usually think the one they own is the best currently made.;) Hang around the Baja owners, and you'll hear it's the best current model. Hang around the 50s Classic owners, and you'll hear it's the best current model.

I own 4 Classic Series MIM Fenders, and I couldn't say any one of them is flawed, just different.

If your interested in the two models that you mentioned, it comes down to whether you can live with a skinny neck or a fat neck.

FWIW, I'd take a Baja.

4. Broken Light

Broken Light Tele-Meister

Neither. I have both and I honestly can't choose between them. Depending on the week, I'll swear by one or the other. The necks are the biggest difference, but I'm quite comfortable with both. If you don't have any strong preferences as to the differences, you'll probably be happy with either.

5. CrazySocks

CrazySocks Tele-Meister

Personally I prefer the classic 60's pups. The baja neck was actually more comfortable than I expected but in the big picture the classic 60 wins for me, great tone and love the neck. I didn't find the s-1 switching interisting either, I felt like I couldn't get any convincing tones. It's just a pitty that the classic 60 is not made in 3 color suburst with double bound, that would be perfection for me.

6. david fernley

david fernley Tele-Meister

A close one , play them see which one you like best, I love my Baja but would buy a 60s 2, but i would just give to Baja, for the price good quality both of them, well for the most part

7. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

the problem is i've never been able to play either of these because they are never in stock at the stores around me. i got a $100 off coupon emailed to me from GC the other day and it expires today. they both seem like wonderful guitars, basically it comes down to neck preference. tone/sound can be got with tweaking from either. had a MIA tele and liked the 9.5 radius neck, but have also played a few '52RI's and really liked those necks, but hear that the 60's is a 7.5" radius like the 52RI, buts its a 'C' shape, and the 52RI is a 'U' shape. i also have to work a 12 hour shift today so there's no chance of getting out and hunting one down, and no GC's within 100 miles of me have them in stock anyway. i know i can return either of them if i'm not happy. had a CVC tele and really liked the guitar, just thought the neck was way to thin for my taste. like the reviews the 60's Classic is receiving but also like the fact that the Baja has a fat chunky neck. fret size isnt an issue for me, and like i said i can get a nice sound out of either one i am sure.

8. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I've got a CVC & had the '60s. The '60s neck is IMO a nice "C" shape, it is not thin like the CVC at all. But the '60s is not a 'chunky' neck by any stretch & if you're choosing between the Baja & '60s w. a chunky neck preference, I'd say "Baja".

9. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

just ordered a Baja solely for the chunky neck...

10. dinmentor

dinmentor TDPRI Member

Good job, I've had my baja like 2-3 weeks and love it!

11. Arjen

Arjen TDPRI Member

oops, to late!

I wanted to share my experience with both (my considerations were the same as yours) but as you already ordered one..Well perhaps just for future reference..

The Baja has a couple of important features. There are the CS pickups, the chunky 9.5 radius maple neck with medium frets and brass vintage saddles. The classic sixties has simple alnico pu's, C shape 7.5 radius rosewood neck with vintage frets and threaded saddles.

So the Baja seems more interesting..However, I really liked the color options and the rosewood neck of the Classic Sixties. So I ordered a Candy Apple Red one. I wasn't able to test the CS beforehand, but I did got my hands on a Baja. Interestingly when I received the guitar, the neck wasn't as thin as I expected, but had a very classic feeling, like the MIJ Squiers and Fenders I was used to. The frets were also not as "vintage" as expeted, but a bit more medium feeling. Al which I consider to be an advantage. The pickups however were disappointing. They didn't sound too bad, but the bridge PU didn't have a metal base plate, so it missed a bith of oemph for my taste. I swapped these out for a set of Tonerider Hot Classics. Great improvement. The bridge assembly itself is worthless. Cheap, thin sheet metal, absolutely unworthy of even a Squier. So I changed that too for a Wilkinson with compensated brass saddles. Now I think it's a great playing and sounding instrument, with good hardware and great overall specs. If you sell the original pickups, you need to invest about €50 (=$60) for the new pickups and the bridge, and with that upgrade it's much more comparable to the Baja in terms of quality. And it is one of the few available and affordable tele's with a rosewood neck. They are in essence two different beasts looking at the specs, but after the upgrade, the Classic Sixties and the Baja both have a great tele mojo!

12. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

You may have ordered it for the neck, but you are going to love the tone you'll get out of those Baja pickups. Excellent choice.

13. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Just got a Baja, love the chunky neck, but I actually prefer the 7.25" radius on my 52 RI. The Baja has a wider range of sounds, most of them good. Fit and finish on the Baja is not as good as the 52 RI, but it is not bad at all....

14. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

the baja is also less than half the cost of a 52RI. i paid $699 for the Baja...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.