Classic 60s series

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by consumnfire1229, Jan 3, 2017.

1. consumnfire1229

consumnfire1229 TDPRI Member

i have the opportunity to purchase an early 2000s Fender telecaster classic 60s series in mint condition. I'm a bit hesitant due to the neck radius...little too skinny for my taste. I feel like it's a good deal, but wanted everyone's opinion and what I should expect to pay in the used market? I spoke with a Fender rep regarding the production and their popularity. I was given a long spill about the other options in the same new price range that buyers tend to gravitate towards...in other words it isn't the most popular. I also know that they discontinued the black paint scheme this past year.

2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Do a search right in this subforum on the subject. They are very nice guitars. I had one and especially loved the neck, but the whole thing was well done and had nice meaty pickups for a Telecaster. I play vintage radius Fenders anyway so didn't notice anything about the neck that was negative. I only sold mine when I bought an AV62RI, but probably just shoulda hung on to it.

Not sure of current prices used but guessing $500-$650 range? On the lower end of that they are a screaming deal to me, but it's all about what works for you.

3. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well I think the neck, including width, frets, radius and vintage tuners is the best feature of that model, but only if it works for you. Sounds like it might not.

I upgraded the pickups in mine but sold it to a friend in a weaker moment. @Stubee is probably right on price range though I'd assume low end for a private sale, and expect good original condition, etc.

Owenmoney likes this.
  4. consumnfire1229

I think I'm getting a descent deal. Meeting up over the weekend. I'll post some pictures!

5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

If you're near me, the guy is asking $400 for it. Good deal at that price, better if you make a lower offer.

6. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Delete.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If it is nice, don't blow it. $ 400 these days is really not a bad deal. I love to suggest guys offer less but not so much this case.

8. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Around $500-$600, $400 is a deal if it's in great shape, even better if you can get a case and talk him a bit lower.

I play a 60s tele and it's a great player, the pickups are sweet. I personally love the small radius; got rid of a Baja because of that baseball bat.

9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

IMO it's a deal at most any price within reason. I feel the MIM classics are the best deal by far for vintage stylke teles, and the rosewood neck 60's is IMO one of if not THE best electric guitar designs ever made and a great and versatile sound. (unlike some i hear a HUGE difference between rosewood and maple necks) Furthermore, i am a total believer in age and literally every fender i have bought thats around 8 or so years old (sometimes even newer) always sounds better then the new ones I've bought. So buying one that old is IMO a huge benefit. In fact i have been looking and once i find an older one i intend to buy that exact model. But they are very hard to find locally new and i won't buy online.

In any case, BUY IT ! Those classic 60's are just the perfect balance of design and woods and can't be beat. I would change the pickups tho, as i have A/B'd the stock pups in the classic series many times and i have no doubt that while they seem pretty good, once you swap a good USA fender in there the difference will be quite notable. That is, given you get the RIGHT pickup for you and your tastes/needs.

10. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I've always wondered if I could improve upon the sound of my classic 60s with a pickup upgrade. The stock ones sound pretty good, but I can't get rid of the upgrade bug.

11. fender4life

Then just do it ! Look at it this way....if you were to pick a woman to be your wife till you die, you you thin the first one that walks by is likely to be your favorite? It's not remotely possible for the manufacturer to put the best pickup in a given guitar because no one wants the exact same tone. So what is the chance they put the right one in there for you? I won't say i can pick the right one for you, but i will say if you wanna give it a try, give the fender 62 custom bridge pickup a try. I say that because it's one of best bridge pickups i have found in that it's got a sound that seems to work in any tele i put it in which is rare. I also think it's a pickup the majority of people will like to some degree and probably nearly everyone would like more then the stock classic series bridge. $40 is pretty darn cheap too. I think you will be quite happy you did. In fact i recently took the 62 custom out and put my stock bridge pickup back in my classic 50's just for a reality check. Sounded ok, but within 5 minutes i was hearing a lot of flaws in it compared to the 62, with which i can find no flaws. A lot of people here like them too. In any case, it doesn't have to be the 62 but whatever you get, give it a shot. Worse case scenario it will stop you from thinking about it regularly which in itself is worth it ! neck pups are a bit more subjective, but a lot of people here including myself love the dimarzio twang king. You can make the stock one sound a lot clearer tho if thats your goal as it is for many just by removing the cover.

heffus likes this.
  12. consumnfire1229

Picked it up tonight. Great feel and it's super light! Not in "mint" condition as described, but the guard is! Yes, pun intended. The issues are minor. Typical buckle rash and a couple other places from setting the guitar up against things. Only odd thing is a gash on the neck pickup? Took a few pics to celebrate. Lighting in the house isn't great, but I tried to capture the aged tint on the neck and headstock. Nice rich color. All in all, I feel like I got a great deal. A nice guitar, hard shell case, strap locks and a strap. Who knows? This may be my new #1. Time will tell on swapping out the pups...I appreciate all the feedback! Rock on! IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0213.JPG IMG_0215.JPG

13. fender4life

Good on ya. I bet it DOES become #1. I felt mine was maybe the best sounding electric i've owned of probably 100 since about '72. Made abig mistake selling it but i quickly decided to look for another, hopefully a early 2000's. They're just the perfect blend of design aspects and wood that give a sound that can't be beat IMO. Have fun !

14. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Nice! Don't worry about a mark on the neck pup. I had an otherwise pristine AV52 that had gouges there & I just figured the previous guy had done the 'adjust neck while it's on Tele' deal ham-handedly. Sounded like heaven anyway.

Enjoy that guitar.

15. consumnfire1229

The guitar is a real joy to play. The neck has such a great feel. My initial fears have been overcome. However, the pups are just a bit too breezy and kind of thin sounding to my ears. I think I'm going to replace the pups and all other internals. I need this baby to sing. So long as I can maintain the 60s feel, I'm good!

16. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nice Classic 60s you have there.

Classy color combo.

Congrats!

consumnfire1229 likes this.
  17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I recommend the Fender USA Custom '62s as a replacement.
    I have them in two 60s style Teles and they are ideal in all regards.

consumnfire1229 likes this.
  18. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

I got a 50s Classic 60s CAR Strat for $475.00, shipped with Tweed case from Reverb. Finished in nitro, it's sweet.

19. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Black is the rarer color for the 60s Classic. $400 is a very good deal. I sold a mint one for $620 as
    I had 2 and decided only need 1.

20. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Buy it, its a no brainer at the price. You can get used to the feel later.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.