Classic '60s And Baja '60 Neck Sizes (Thickness)?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by colchar, Dec 29, 2015.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Can anyone please give me an idea of the thickness of the necks on the Classic '60s and Baja '60s Teles? I'd particularly like to hear from those who own these guitars and have measured the necks, especially at the 1st and the 12th frets.

Thanks in advance.

2. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

I haven't measured it, but my 60s Baja has a Medium C neck, which works out fine for me, since I don't like thin necks.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Is it the '50s Baja that has the soft V then? I played one of the Vegas Gold Bajas a few months back and it had a soft V, which to me felt huge. Absolutely hated it.

4. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Yes, the 50s Baja has the soft V neck. The 60s Baja has a completely different neck profile, but it is NOT a Modern C profile neck. While it is not a baseball bat neck, it is a bit thicker than a Modern C.

5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

6. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Thanks.

I am trying to compare those to the neck size on my Muddy (Width - 1.71", Depth at 1st fret - .855" using Vernier calipers so there is some margin of error) as the arthritis in my hands is acting up when playing that and I might have to part with it. I don't want to, but health issues might dictate that I do. Thicker necks work better for me these days and, I am assuming, will be required going forward.

I like '60s style Teles with rosewood fretboards and would prefer to get either the Classic '60s or Baja '60s as a replacement. But they are tough to find around here so I cannot go into a store to compare which is why I asked for measurements. If I absolutely have to I will consider the '50s Classic and the Baja '50s but, as I said, I would prefer a '60s style with rosewood fretboard.

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My 2005 60's Classic:

[email protected] nut: 1.653" (4.2 cm)

Depth @ 1st fret: 0.866"

Depth @ 12th fret: 0.953"

Profile: Classic, rounded "C".

8. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

I must try the 60s model. I bought a used 50s Baja and loved it apart from the chunky neck. I like thicker necks than the USA Standards or any Squiers but the Baja was a bit too much for me. It now has the neck from a MIM Cab and is great. Sounds like the 60s may be similar to that.

9. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

That seems pretty chunky, no wonder you love it.

10. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah - only slightly thinner than my (sold) 2004 '52RI. But of course less shoulders.

11. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I've found the 60s Baja necks to be frustratingly thin. I've never tried a Classic 60s.

You might consider just getting one of Warmoth's "Web special" replacement necks for about $160. It won't say Fender on it, but you can fool yourself into thinking it's still the same guitar.

A vastly more expensive option is the 64 re-issue. There are several threads extolling its merits here.

12. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I had considered a new neck but don't really want to go the Partscaster route.

13. tele_jas

tele_jas Tele-Afflicted

See, I was the exact opposite.. I immediately fell in love with the neck and now all my other Tele's feel like they have super thin necks.

If I were ordering a replacement neck, I'd choose the same profile as my Baja Vegas Gold, or the Wolfgang profile... I LOVE my Wolfgang, it's probably my favorite playing guitar, but it only sounds good for rock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.