Classic 50's (mim) trade value

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rockbreaker, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Hi all, I know this is for the most part a subjective question but I have a chance to trade my 2003 BSB classic 50's tele with upgraded pickups to twisted tele/broadcaster combo for a Jimmy Vaughn strat in similar condition as my tele. I think they're are comparable in value but I wanted to ask the opinion of members of this forum. Thanks for your input in advance.

Ed

2. casey2910

casey2910 Tele-Meister

The only reason I would consider trading a telecaster for a strat, is because I didn't have one. I have 2 telecasters and 1 strat. I want another Tele, but only have the need of the one strat. I would trade the strat for another Tele, but it was a gift from my wife. It would be a personal preference and want for yourself, JIMO.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

howardlo likes this.
  3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

$500 if average. Give or take $100 based on condition, and on which way the wind is blowing the day that you sell.

Dismalhead and Electric Warrior like this.
  4. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

You're right, but I already have about 15 tele's including a 2012 AVRI BSB I purchased new (last year of the AVRI's) and I never play it. Looks exactly like the one I want to trade. I do have a few Strats but I'm a big fan of the Vaughn brothers and already own an SRB STRAT that gets played more than the Classic 50' I just didn't want the trade to be too heavy one way or the other value wise. Thanks for your answers

5. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

You're in the ballpark based on the prices I've seen. I agree with EsquireOK's assessment.

6. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

*SRV.
    Hey Esquire OK, 500 for my tele? That's about the same for the J Vaughn strat no?

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Yes, for your Tele. I don’t know anything about Jimmy Vaugn Strats.

8. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I have always sort of been in the market for JV's. I've seen the JV's locally, on GC, other sites in the $450-650 range. The people trying to sell them for $750+ are out to lunch as far as I'm concerned. I would just buy it new with 15% knocked off.

So a nice Classic 50s Telecaster seems like a fair trade if both parties like what they get out of it.

9. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

That's what I was thinking. Thanks all

Ed

10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

that's about right. I sold a JV Strat to a friend for $500 and everybody felt good about it -- except now I wish I hadn't sold it. Really a great-playing instrument and I liked the pickups. I'd go for that trade.

11. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

If you're good on Tele's, to me that sounds like a good trade too. Those Jimmy Vaughan Strats are nice.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, the trade value of the two guitars is close to the same.

I was not entirely happy with the bridge pickup in the MIM 50s Classic T and E. By comparison, I bought four of those MIM Jimmie Vaughans with the intention of upgrading the pickups on three of them. And. I just added a base plate to the S "Tex Mex" bridge pickup (from Fralin) and just a few mods and I'm happy with all 4 as is.

The Jimmie has the very same saddles, bridge plate, block, trem claw and arm as a FCS '60 Time Machine might have (where the 50s Tele has saddles I upgrade to slant compensated) and the Jimmie has Gotoh splits tuning machines (while the MIM 50s Tele has Ping splits). But the Jimmie has a many pieces/veneer body that's not that beautifully shaped while the 50s Tele is normally some pretty nice ash.

Really, about as fair as any trade we've talked about here for a while. If I saw one of each and could have only one, I'd choose the one with the nicer fret job.

13. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

When you say many pieces and veneer body, you probably mean like a 5 piece body, does it also have veneer caps? I'm doing the trade, everybody involved seems to be pretty ok with it. BTW, the only "upgrades I did to the tele are; twisted tele/broadcaster US pickups and I reversed the control plate which the guy says he loves. Thanks again for your insightful opinions and knowledge.

I am more than good on Tele's I own a Ron Kirn, a US G&L, a 1973 Fender "Std.", a 1978 Custom (both original), a 2012 AVRI, a 2000 AVRI Special with gold hardware only made by Fender for two years, two 2TSB Texas Hwy1's, hell I even have a nice early eighties Fernandes tele. and a couple of really nice high end partscasters that get gigged quite a bit.
    Also a black AVRI Hot Rod, with the firebird pick up, one of my favorites.
    Ed

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ed, I have seen images of veneer "blanks" we believe represent what a Jimmie Vaughan starts as. Yeah, there's a veneer or skin over all that, so the seam lines don't telegraph through and so less paint can be used and still have a smooth looking result. USA Fenders used to be done basically this way, only maybe fewer pieces.

But bear in mind, Ensenada quit doing this on MIM Standards sometime roughly around 2012, and so I would think at some point FMIC Ensenada did or will run out of these old style Jimmie Vaughan body blanks. My newest is a 2009. Possible that any one minted in the last 5 years has fewer pieces. I just like the way Ensenada put all the money into everything but the body.

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I was just looking at a used Jimmy Vaughan Strat last week on Craigslist; thinking it was pretty cool. It was $575. Didn't pull the trigger though.

I'd say it's comparable. It's got Tex Mex pickups, which I like. I've got a set in a Strat I made a few years back and it's one of my main players.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. Bluesidae

Bluesidae TDPRI Member

A fews years ago I played a few JV strats. Awesome guitar. Ultimately I got a CP 50's strat. I think the trade sounds fair.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.