Classic 50s lacquer vs. Road Worn 50s Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Loobs, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

To be fair, it's by far the best Baja I've ever played.

2. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

The Classic 50s Esquire is a great guitar. Mine wasn't super heavy or anything. If I would've swapped the bridge pup I'd prob still have it.
    I recently went through this similar decision.
    I ended up with the road worn. It was priced a little high but I was able to swap my MIM Thinline and a pedal for it.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1419705321.615103.jpg

3. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

I just couldn't get on with the small frets on it. The pickup is super bright too, maybe a little too bright.

4. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Does anyone have the skinny on the pickup in the Baja? The Broadcaster? Alnico V?

I'm not keen on the neck pickup, too Stratty.

5. ludakrishayes

ludakrishayes TDPRI Member

It's a Twisted Tele. And I absolutely agree, it sounds like a weak Strat pickup.

I recently purchased a Baja like yourself, and I'm actually thinking about exchanging it for a Road Worn now and giving that a shot. Just not digging all the upgraded electronics - I only use the 3 standard Tele positions, and the Baja options have actually made the playing experience a bit unenjoyable for me.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

One of the hidden strengths of the Twisted Tele is the way it facilitates the mixing of these pickups in so many divers ways.

I look at it this way: I use the neck pickup alone much less, but now I have 2 other settings at least that are really nice - it is a trade off.

++

++

Hey, Loobs! Is that used Esquire still at that shop at the same price (in Euros)? Given the change in the exchange rates, someone needs to grab that unless it is a dud.

7. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Those 50s Esquires are sweet if you find a light one.
    I'm still loving my 08' RW50s. I recently put sons Budz pups in as well as new CTS pots and a CRL switch. I also had the control plate flipped around. I'm loving it. Just waiting to find a deal on a Bakelite guard.

8. adamjs69

adamjs69 Tele-Holic

I've had both of these guitars, an 08 RW and currently have a 50s classic lacquer. IMO, the Classic is a far better guitar except for the pups, but then again the stock pickups aren't great in either model. Even after a professional setup with fret level, crown and polish from a top notch luthier, I couldn't bond with the RW no matter how hard I tried. Aside from being a gorgeous guitar, the Classic just feels more solid and comfortable to me. Mine is medium weight, just under 8 pounds, but then again I'm not a weight weenie.

9. ludakrishayes

ludakrishayes TDPRI Member

I just went for a new 50's RW - able to get a good deal at the big box guys. I ended up bringing a Baja back, just couldn't bond with that one no matter what. I liked the neck fine, though I wasnt a huge fan of the lacquer, but just couldn't get with the modern player electronics.

Jim603 likes this.
  10. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Funny, I have never felt the Baja neck pickup was remotely stratty. Of course, my ears seem to perceive pickups completely differently than the popular wisdom. It's nice to have so many choices in pickups.

Then I get the feeling that the only people who hear differences are the musicians themselves.

11. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I find myself a lot reading and even sometimes saying a particular Tele neck pup is "stratty" sounding. It's just something stuck in my head. It's VERY rare that I play one (a T neck pup) and actually think to myself it sounds like anything remotely akin to a Strat pup. And usually when I hear that I don't like it.
    I have the Budz Stylemaster in the neck pos of my road worn Tele and it just sounds pretty much like a classic Tele neck pup, just better. Maybe fatter and clearer is what I mean by better but I really can't say. I just like it a lot right now, lol. I could hate it next week, but I doubt it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.