Classic 30 Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by orange_crush, Jun 17, 2019.

1. orange_crush

orange_crush TDPRI Member

Hey everyone, a while ago I posted saying I would be upgrading the speaker in my Peavey C30, that I was focused on Celestion but was there anything else I should have a look at.

I've done my fair share of research and I think I'm an Eminence guy now. I have four choice in mind:
    Private Jack
    Red White and Blues
    Texas Heat
    The Governor

I want something fairly warm with medium headroom and isn't going to sound too twangy in the highs like the Blue Marvel. Any help to narrow down my selection?

Also, anyone know if either: the red white and blues comes in 16 ohms, or can I put an 8 ohm speaker in the c30?

2. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

If you're an eminence guy I'd say try the gb128, but don't think they make 16ohm.
    Wgs et-65 is also nice.

orange_crush likes this.
  3. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a C30 with an Emi Cannibus Rex in it. Fantastic. I love a hemp coned speaker.

orange_crush likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Had billions in mine at one time or other
    You might try an ET65..tad warmer than
    most.
    THere are thousands in the celestion, weber, emi, and Jensen camp.
    But I will skip those for now.

orange_crush likes this.
  5. orange_crush

I like that a lot. Damn, I just have to pick one and go with it :D

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd steer clear of the British flavoured ones. Despite the EL84 tubes it's an American style amp.

orange_crush likes this.
  7. orange_crush

Yeah I feel that. If the red white and blues came in 16 ohm I'd have one ordered.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There's a 16 ohm Legend I think - the Sheffield speaker option in some of these was pretty fair too. But the CR is popular although I have no experience of it personally.

9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I never had one, but the texas heat is a well liked speaker that is supposedly a bit dark. And thats what u r gonna need to cut down on the twang. Personally tho, i think thats never a good thing. Best IMO to use a speaker that is NOT dark or bright but more neutral, then cut brightness in other ways like tubes. JJs are pretty dark tubes and it might be a good idea to try one in V1, then if that doesn;'t do it put one in V2, then V3 if it still needs less twang. Then JJs in the power section will take it even futher in that direction.

As for impedance, you CAN use an 8 in the C30 by switching the transformer to 8 ohms. But unlike most amps there is no impedence switch. What they do is make the speaker jack a switching jack so when you plug an extrenal 16 ohm cab in, the tranny is switched to 8 ohms via the switching jacks contacts. Since an external 16 ohm cab along with the internal 16 ohm speaker are then in parallel which makes for a 8 ohm load. So to switch it to 8 ohms just insert a dummy plug into the extention speaker jack. A angle plug will work well since it won't stick out. This would be ideal... http://store.haveinc.com/p-62619-fl...MIp4-g1dvw4gIVh7fACh1HRwLCEAQYBCABEgJQd_D_BwE

10. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

You can special order the GB12 in 16 ohm. There is a small upcharge for doing so and it takes 2 or 3 weeks to get, but it can be had.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.