Class-action Lawsuit against Fender

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
This is mainly for UK customers, they would have to opt-out to not be included in the action. Anyone outside the UK has to opt-in at this website

The FAQ explains everything.

This is a really stupid practice on Fender's part. They didn't manipulate their own pricing, retailers still paid the normal wholesale price, so Fender's revenue wasn't affected. I think the only benefit they get from it is an increase in their image as a premium brand. A higher price gives the impression of a better product. But when they do that, other brands follow their lead by actually raising their wholesale price, and everyone pays more.
There was a company called Fender Australia till about 2000 (IIRC). Who were not Fender USA only a distributor and boy did they rip us off and the dealers. I think Fender ended up refusing to deal with them.

chezdeluxe

Doctor of Teleocity
There was a company called Fender Australia till about 2000 (IIRC). Who were not Fender USA only a distributor and boy did they rip us off and the dealers. I think Fender ended up refusing to deal with them.
In those days Fender Australia would not have one of the best stores in this city as a distributor.

That store used to go on shopping trips in USA and come back to Brisbane with great secondhand Fenders at fair prices.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
In those days Fender Australia would not have one of the best stores in this city as a distributor.

That store used to go on shopping trips in USA and come back to Brisbane with great secondhand Fenders at fair prices.
Stories of case candy being resold?

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I want my 18 cents! :lol:

On another page I visit, a guy there said he always responds when he receives any sort of class action legal notice.

He said once it netted him around $500, and there were some other couple-to-few hundred scenarios. He also said there were plenty that were $1.38 or so haha

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted
MAP policy, maximum advertised price, is illegal in the UK. It is perfectly legal in the US, and is used by many industries, including guitars, tools, cameras, fly rods, guns, etc. In some instances, you have to sign an agreement to not violate the MAP prices to be a dealer.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Of course the net result is that prices in the UK will double and triple, someone has to pay for the lawyers. Fender, like any other retailer, is just going to pass the cost of doing business there along to the buyers. Either that or close that market. Business 101, make profit or close your doors.

trandy9850

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
I hate to be so blunt….but as a company…Fender sucks.

They’ve become a faceless, monolithic Goliath who couldn’t care less about their customers…much less their dealers.

Do I like some of their products? Yes I do…but their corporate culture leaves me cold.

Matt G

Tele-Afflicted
Pretty sure they're still going 'strong'. Am trying to get some warranty work done by them, and Fender.com.au have proved to be very, very slow. I'm actually considering paying someone to do the work out of fear I won't get my instrument back (or won't get it back this year).

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Pretty sure they're still going 'strong'. Am trying to get some warranty work done by them, and Fender.com.au have proved to be very, very slow. I'm actually considering paying someone to do the work out of fear I won't get my instrument back (or won't get it back this year).
Margaret O’Loughlin sold in 2016.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
I may qualify for compensation! Woo! Yay! Hoopla!
I'm not signing up to see because I do not wish to be associated in any way, shape or form recognisable in this dimension or the next, with such self-pity party entitled nonsense.
Caveat Emptor. Don't like the price?, don't buy.
Retailers won't benefit. Consumers won't benefit. FMIC may retaliate and become more 'Authentic', which benefits no-one aside from the legal teams, whose costs add to the price the consumer pays.
I do not wish to add energy to the suespiral storm.
I'd prefer price maintenance to remain if it enabled small retailers to remain in business. An extra £sum atop a purchase price amortised over 10 years of ownership is nothing. A local, knowledgeable retailer is an asset to a town, and they're vanishing.

Ill formed, poorly thought out, reflexive rant over. move along, nothing to see here.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
my '91 strat has this on it.

91 strat sticker.jpg

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Can anyone explain to me what exactly happened at Fender between 2013 and 2019 that caused buyers to pay over the odds and be entitled to damages?

Price fixing essentially, which stops consumers shopping around for the best deal... because it's the same price everywhere.

It falls foul of anti-competition laws and all sorts of business law areas I know nothing about. ... but that's essentially it.

They've been found guilty and fined already.

Status
Not open for further replies.