Clark Beaufort with intermitant volume

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by muudcat, Oct 5, 2019.

1. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic

I have a Clark 5E3 clone and just love it and have played the heck out of it for quite a while but last night at a jam I turned it on and began to play. After about 15 mins the volume dropped very low and then finally nothing. Shut it off for a few minutes, turned it back on and full volume then nothing. This repeated a few times and I went home. Tried it today in the house and same symptom . I know I'll have to take it in but am wondering if this could just be a tube thing. I'm far from a tech head but just maybe I could save myself a repair bill with just changing out the tubes, which it probably needs anyway

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

On an amp this recent I'd try tubes first. Actually it could be a a little dirt in a tube socket. So you might try pulling them out and reinstalling them, maybe ones not fully seated too. Then try your spare tubes.

If this was an original 5e3 I'd have other questions before saying try tubes.

muudcat likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Does the amp go completely silent or can you hear white noise from the speaker when the signal is not being processed?If there is white noise, the output section is working. +1 on dirty tube socket/bad connection as Bobby suggests.
    At any rate, when the amp loses signal, are the heater filaments still glowing in all tubes? If so, then sub a known good 12a-7 in V1. If that doesn’t cure the problem, sub a tube in V2. If those two tubes are not the problem, I might suspect the rectifier tube....the 5Y3. If that doesn’t cure the situation, it is tech time. Or....last thought.....when the amp goes silent, jiggle the speaker lead. There could be a problem there.

muudcat and BobbyZ like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.