Clarence Tutorial Videos - post here!

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by ChrisLarcombe, Mar 28, 2020.

1. ChrisLarcombe

ChrisLarcombe TDPRI Member

Hey guys.
    I've started making Bender/Clarence video tutorials for youtube, so i thought I'd make this thread for those of you who don't have a youtube account, and so can't access subscriptions, etc.
    If anyone else see's a great tutorial for Clarence stuff, feel free to post here!
    Happy bending :)

Chris

ps: here's the first clarence vid :)

2. BladeStratford

BladeStratford Tele-Meister

Great job Chris! I love the comparisons with the actual Clarence recordings. Thanks for posting this one and Keep it Bent!

Greggorios and ChrisLarcombe like this.
  3. ChrisLarcombe

4. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Thanks man. Don't have a bender but will try these nonetheless.

5. ChrisLarcombe

One for you non-benders out there!

Greggorios and muudcat like this.
  6. kram29

kram29 TDPRI Member

Wonderful, great playing. Now I should quit.

7. ChrisLarcombe

haha, thanks. Noo! dont you dare!

8. ChrisLarcombe

New phone = New camera quality! New Song! New vid!

Shango66 and muudcat like this.
  9. ChrisLarcombe

Nashville West!

Shango66, bobk, muudcat and 2 others like this.
  10. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Chris, that's fine work.

I've tagged a few fellow players (below) who may have missed your post. I'm not sure how to do this correctly, so it's messy. Pretty sure it'll turn up in their alerts, though.

Cheers

Matt

Greggorios and ChrisLarcombe like this.
  11. ChrisLarcombe

Thank you Matt, appreciate that!! :)

12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

No worries at all. At least one of those fellows knew Clarence, and I think they'll all be impressed by your playing. As a side note, have you considered introducing yourself to Gene Parsons in Mendocina? He was in at the beginning of the B-Bender, and I think he'd get a kick out of your playing too.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. ChrisLarcombe

Would be a honor to hear what they think, any of em'! I've definitely heard off T Prior before, very knowledgable fellow, see his responses all over the B-bender forum, so it was a pleasure to hear off him!
    I haven't considered it no, I kinda felt like I would pushing it reaching out to Gene, as he's a such a legendary figure, and obviously one of my heros. Do you think I should?

muudcat and T Prior like this.
  14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Nice job. One note - at 1:45, in the tab did I see the open (and lowered to "D") raised and lowered "open" - i.e. using behind the nut bends, which is the way Clarence *usually* played it, but you actually using the B-bender instead?

I watched several times and it sure seems that way. But I admit to finding the playing extremely hard to follow since you're a "lefty". No offense, but most "righties" find it hard to follow left-handed players.

I had about a dozen beginner guitar and mandolin students over the decades and convinced each one to learn the instrument right-handed.

It made learning easier (and teaching if the player ever became an instructor), but also opened up an exponentially larger number of instruments to play and modifications to implement. Not all b-bender makers make lefty versions - and just try to find a left-handed pedal steel...and then add/modify changes on it! Or an original lefty prewar Martin guitar or Gibson 5-string banjo or a mandolin that's .

This is no knock on Chris, who did a nice job - just a caution for any beginners considering learning guitar...or inexperienced players who want to learn B-bender. For the latter I'd suggest biting the bullet and struggling through converting yourself to a right handed player before it's too late!

And Chris, you're young enough that if you are planning on becoming a professional player and not a "weekend warrior" I'd seriously consider switching to right handed playing right away. Yeah, it'll seem weird but every player I know that switched to "rightie" at a young age didn't understand why they ever started playing left-handed.

15. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I think he'd be tickled to hear from you in general, and to see how well you're playing the instrument he helped invent. None of us are getting any younger, either. So, yes, I'd email him. If you were ever thinking of getting a long-throw clevis from him, this would probably be a good time as well. I've got one set aside here for whenever I get around to it. Nice to have some original DNA in the guitar.

16. ChrisLarcombe

I addressed this in the description in youtube: 'This song utilises Clarence’s clever use of behind the nut bends (pushing the string down behind the nut, to get a bend in an open position. In bars 12 and 20, these bends are notated as Clarence would have played them pre-bender, as I figured I wanted to make this basically as non-bender friendly as possible. Attached with the main tab PDF on my website, there will be a small bar towards the bottom of the file with the alternate way to playing these bars, with the bender. I play it like this in the video for fear of breaking my string! It’s simpler with the bender, so why not challenge yourself anyway by following the ‘standard’ TAB.'

Obviously I appreciate your reply Sliverface, but I am a fully left handed player and from literally the first day I picked up a guitar, I have known that. I vividly remember my teaching really, really wanting me to say I'd go with right handed, and I tried, but my picking hand had 0 rhythmic element in it in a right handed position, whereas my picking hand in a left handed position felt extremely natural. Trust me when I say I have been through hell trying to get certain guitars and also straight up NOT being able to get certain models. So whilst I heavily encourage any starting lefties out there to try your luck right handed (you'd be an idiot to not!), if you know it's not going to work, you'll know. There is no doubt in my mind that I wouldn't be studying at the RNCM, and half the player I am now (apologies for how terribly arrogant that sounds, I really don't mean it like 'I'm really good so listen' haha), if I had forced myself to play right handed. Besides, I actually don't think it's that much of a deal if lefties/righties have a slightly harder time following someone of the opposite hand-orientation. Bottom line is that, if someone really wants to learn the guitar, they're going to learn it. Having to follow someone as if you're looking at a mirror, as opposed to the normal set up, is really hyped up in my experience as a major issue. I've taught a few kids over the years and none have ever said it was an issue, infact most didn't even notice. Obviously my experience is limited, but it's experience nonetheless.

muudcat, Silverface and Matt G like this.
  17. ChrisLarcombe

I will maybe drop him an email then! Would I just use the stringbender email? I would love, love to receive a Bender from gene at some point, it's 100% on my bucket list. I would've got one to start with, but I am a student so money is tight! More than happy with Forrest's wonderful work however!

18. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Have sent a DM with an email address for Gene. Forrest posts here from time to time; I hope you've shared a clip or two with him as well.

How in the devil does a twenty-something music student in Manchester UK end up knowing of Clarence White, much less playing his music? I mean, I could understand it if you were twenty-one, but. . . . ;-)

19. ChrisLarcombe

Yeah, just recieved, thank you :) I shared one a few weeks in I think, of my first attempt at hummingbyrd.

Honestly, I don't really know either. I never grew up listening to country or bluegrass whatsoever. I first heard 'sweetheart of the rodeo' back in September 2018, but arriving at music college, the few seeds that were planted by it got buried beneath the influx of new musicians i was meeting, and the music they were all sharing with me suddenly. But then summer 2019, I ended up listening to sweetheart again, and from there it was like an explosion!

Greggorios, muudcat and Matt G like this.
  20. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

That's great.

On the off chance that you hadn't already spotted it, here's one post from the Adios Lounge blog. It's just one of a long, detailed series about Clarence and his various bands and gigs. I've found a huge amount of good (but largely unknown) music out of those links. Pretty sure I've posted about this a dozen times by now . . . but it bears repeating all the same.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.