1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clarence bridge clone ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by WaylonFan76, Jun 16, 2012.

1. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Not gonna beat around the bush. Saw Marty Stuart live last night, sat in the third row, so I received a heavy dose of Clarence's twang. Looking for the best clone available. Any suggestions ?

2. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

The affordable DiMarzio Twang King would be a good place to start your search; I'm totally sold on this under-priced, under-rated P/U. If you want to spend more money, consider Lindy Fralin or Lollar's '52 bridge. Good luck!

3. WaylonFan76

Thanks for your response. I already had a Fralin Blues Special in the guitar I want that pup in. I liked it but it lacked a little something in my opinion. I'm really looking for a specific clone of Clarence's pickup more than a run-of-the-mill blackguard pup.

4. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

You're gonna need more metal in the guitar:
    [​IMG]

Unpot the Fralin.:cool:

5. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Marty seems to have a darker twang when he plays Clarence IMO. Maybe an OC Duff Plankster or something with A3 mags?

6. Kingtone

Kingtone Tele-Holic

I'll seconded OC Duff. I've had Owen wind several sets for me over the years, just contact him and tell him what you're looking for and he'll deliver the goods.

7. WaylonFan76

:D

8. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

I believe over at the Clarence White Forum, there was some discussion that the pickup that was in the guitar when Marty got it was not the same one that Clarence used for years. He may have swapped it out soon before he passed. I'm sure someone will chime in who has more knowledge on the subject. FWIW, I've been playing a P/W Bender since 1976 (#30). I've had every pickup imaginable in my guitar, and the Fralin Stock Staggered has worked out the best for clear classic Tele twang. The pickup in Marty's guitar is staggered, as well, if that makes a difference.

9. WaylonFan76

Thanks for the info ! I appreciate it. I've reading on here and the Clarence White forum this morning and I'm getting all kinda knowledge. :p

10. tele53

tele53 Tele-Meister

I can't give you a definitive suggestion(though Twang Kings will work) for the reason that for me, Clarence's tone was different on every song. He always matched it perfectly to the music. I have listened to his studio recordings probably more than anything else from the day they came out and his range of Telecaster tones is mind boggling. LP's like "Ballad of Easy Rider" and Byrdmaniax" are two of my favorites. I also have virtually all of his obscure recordings.

I have never been a big fan of his live tone which baffles me why so many people seem to think that was his trademark sound. In those days even according to them, they got high, and just went out there and winged it. It in no way resembles any of his vast studio work.

But to speak of the sound Marty gets out of "Clarence" live, I agree it is a great tone and really at least to me, I see it as a straight ahead Clarence studio sound. But it in no way resembles Clarence's live sound thankfully.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.