Clapton's '54 Strat fails to get a single bid at auction.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by stratisfied, Dec 9, 2020.

1. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

you better dig a little deeper on gibson.. that guy is something else.

2. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

Man, if you look at what he said.... I would hope it is always bad timing to have that opinion. Hope he’s changed in the last 40+ years.

drlucky and TeleinTX like this.
  3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I'm sure that there are many, many things that are "Clapton-owned".

Like a golf club...

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I saw the quote and I don't care - I can't get worked up over that. Even if he still has that opinion, it's his opinion. Lots of us have opinions that would offend others but we keep them to ourselves because we're afraid of offending others. For the sake of publicity he should have kept it to himself, but who knows how much cocaine or other substances were in his system at the time.

I don't agree with his opinion, but it's his right to think whatever he wants, and that applies to all of us. Speaking them out loud is a matter of good/bad judgment and of course there are consequences. We all know what we should or should not say in public, but man... if others could hear our thoughts, we'd all be in trouble. Especially the most self-righteous of us.

The older I get, the more I understand that passing judgement on others is opening ourselves up to charges of hypocrisy.

bgmacaw, black_doug and Fiesta Red like this.
  5. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

Well, I’ve never experienced drugs giving me an opinion I didn’t have already...

As to the rest, sure, we can all have opinions. And my opinion is that anyone who says those things is a garbage human, and I hope he’s changed.

I don’t think there’s ever good timing for that sort of thing. But, you know, that’s just my opinion.

6. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

In the past, he's sold some of his gear and the proceeds went to his Alcohol/Drug Addiction Recovery Center in the Caribbean....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackie_(guitar)

Adds a whole new spin to what he named this Strat....

[​IMG]

Clapton with "Blackie" performing in 1978

Rowdyman and Wally like this.
  7. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

And Joe Bonamassa. He buys everything...

1.5m for that was recklessly optimistic. 1) Slide guitar that damn few really saw him play and no one associates with him. 2) 3-4th at best in order of significance of "Clapton guitars". Realistically much further down the list 3) Clapton "TODAY" simply isn't the draw he was 10 years ago let alone 90's and before.. 4) Clapton has sold so many guitars, the exclusivity of it is lost. 5) That musiciswin guy touched it. 6) Hardtail

Piotr likes this.
  8. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

Clapton's past controversies aside, I think 1 mil is a bit of a stretch. A 1954 hardtail strat is rare, and one owned by Clapton is, well, rarer, but it's not one of his iconic guitars, and the first two factors don't warrant that price tag. That price is completely out of touch with reality.

TeleinTX likes this.
  9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Yea, there's some bad stuff there. I might see some of it as reactionary to rejected by Hollywood, rejected by his female ex's, etc. Retaliatory, but over the top. From what I read of ECs situation, there was no interaction that could have even wildly be considered provocation, or reason for revealing vitriol. This whole thing is bringing me down, I'm letting this die now. Back to 1M asking prices for 90k guitars - huh?

TeleinTX likes this.
  10. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Come on. Are we really trying to say that the ‘76 rant might have been because drugs gave him thoughts that weren’t his own? That would be silly.

bricksnbeatles likes this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

yeah exactly. I don’t have a taste for Clapton, but I do love James brown and lord knows he was piece of trash human being. I’m not going to throw his music out, but I’m not going to give his estate money. Same thing with jimmy page - we don’t have to throw out led zep, but putting out signature guitars of a guy who kept teen slaves locked in hotel rooms is not a good look for a company that’s trying to to appeal to women...or for anyone.

It goes both ways. I don’t have to respect opinions or actions like that or give them money. There is a big difference between being legally penalized and people saying “F this.” I don’t know why there is this idea that I tacitly have to put up with anything. Seems like that idea always comes from people who don’t tolerate anything themselves.

12. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

I'd also like to add, in terms of Blackie, all of those people who bid on it (and guitar center, but that is an entity, not a person) were basically bidding on a barely playable instrument. According to Clapton's tech, who's been doing the job since '79, one of the reasons (among others) that Clapton decided to auction off the instrument is because he literally played the neck to death. It had gone through so much playing wear, refrets, and fretboard levelings, that the fret slots barely held frets, and high and low e's would fret out constantly.

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Drugs and alcohol don't give you an opinion, but they do take away your inhibitions, making you more likely to express an opinion.

Calling another person "human garbage" because of their opinion says more about you than it does about that person. We don't know what thoughts reside in your head, but one thing I can assure you is that you're no angel. None of us are.

14. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I’m a bonafide jerk, sure, but not all flavors of unsavory opinion taste the same.

15. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

I can’t believe I am being attacked over expressing my opinion.;)

As for calling an individual a garbage person for saying what he said? I will stand by that. That rant was indefensible.

Like I said, it was a long time ago, and I hope he’s changed.

Edit to add: I’m probably going to get this thread closed. So I apologize for getting riled up. I will let this go.

kookaburra and drewg like this.
  16. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Holic

You're apparently not on their email list:)

17. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I am 100% certain that I’ve never had any thoughts remotely like what Clapton said regardless of my mental state and I try to keep company that doesn’t either. Everyone has insensitive viewpoints and missteps, it’s impossible not to. My older relatives have said “insensitive” stuff. But what he said is the type of dangerous nativist garbage that I have zero tolerance for. He shouted a fascist slogan at the worst possible time in the UK. Big difference.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  18. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

iirc he was being sort of coxed by the leaders of some "movement".

19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

There are other timing issues. I think lots of people who could drop a million on whatever they feel like might not be in the mood. They may feel the need to give money to good causes. Their portfolios may have taken a big hit. They may feel cooped up like the rest of us. Maybe they had a relative die. I wouldn't be surprised if the auction scene has been cool in general, lately. This article in the NYT talks about having to go on line has put a bit of a crimp into auctions-- but that sale prices are a mixed bag-- sometimes really high, but sometimes lower than hoped.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/10/your-money/auctions-wealth-coronavirus.html

kookaburra likes this.
  20. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Same. If I ever go strat hunting again it will likely be for a hardtail.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.