Clapton woman tone on a tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jacob Ullberger, May 21, 2019.

1. Jacob Ullberger

Jacob Ullberger TDPRI Member

I would like to have one of the position on my 5-way super switch to do a Claptonish woman tone sound.
    I've got an '52 RI with stock pickups.

Any suggestions for a wiring to achieve that?

I have a few ideas:

1. Sending the highs to ground through a capacitor - but should I use the neck or bridge pickup or both in series? And what value for the cap? Somewhere I read 15nF would be a good start.
    2. Same as 1 but add a High Pass Cap in series to remove som muddy lows. Will too much gain be lost that way?
    3. Neck pickup with a cap to ground and adding a just a little blend from the bridge pickup to get some bite. (Or the other way around)
    Please give me your thoughts on this before I start to experiment.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

3. Jacob Ullberger

Thanks, Dacious!
    I'm currently using Bill Lawrence Half-Out-of-Phase (with two selectable cap values) and I like them a lot. I have not tried his Pos. #5 - neck pick up in series with a cap to reduce low-end. Maybe that's an idea for my empty slot in the superswitch if I don't manage to get the Woman-Tone.
    /Jacob

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Appreciate you are likely intent on the wiring change approach.
    His "woman tone" essentially a steep mid db boost with the tone rolled back on the guitar through a cranked tube amp. This could be achieved with just a Boss GE-7 or similar without pulling apart the '52 RI. That's my own solution when I need something similar.

5. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Good luck, but I'm with rze99 on this. With a Gibson you can get there changing the .022 cap to .015 on the neck pu and backing off the tone. I use an old .039 cap on some of my Tele's to get a mellower sound backing off the tone but single coils don't respond as well as humbuckers. A pedal might work better.

6. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

Lovepedal English Woman and leave the guitar alone

neilybob100, Deeve and nojazzhere like this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I can get right in the neighborhood of Woman Tone using the neck pickup with the tone rolled off and a Mooer Rumble Drive. No guitar mods necessary!

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Turn your amp way up. Guitar volume full. Guitar tone low. Stand nearish amp.

LocoTex and brookdalebill like this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Blues Driver

( which I normally use as an 'always ON ' boost, at moderate Level/ Gain into clean Fender amp)

But for a good singing Fuzz tone:

BD-2 Gain and Tone knobs cranked!
    Level- wherever I need it ( unlike some real fuzzes, you don't need to crank pedal Volume to generate strong fuzz; this is much more controllable/well behaved)

Tele or Strat neck PU, with Tone control OFF, sounds strong, with great sustain

* One versatile pedal IMO

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Jim W and ftbtx like this.
  10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

EQ pedals go a long way to achieving grail tones. A wah set 'just so' and then left in position can yield some fun results. Amp tone controls/presence controls exist to be tweaked.

Neck pickup ( or both ), guitar tone rolled off halfway, overdrive set to mainly clean boost with a little grit and careful setting of the TMB controls get toward -my- interpretation.

11. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

I've got a sort-of-tele with a five way switch. The wiring is complex, but all five tones sound good, different from each other, and about the same loudness. Here they are from thin to fat:

Bridge through a capacitor to filter out the sub-bass
    Bridge
    Neck
    Neck/ bridge in series through a capacitor and a volume adjustment trimpot
    Neck/bridge in series with a volume adjustment trimpot

Depending on which amp I am playing through, one of the last three choices with the tone turned down will give the best "woman tone". Usually it is one of the series choices. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they sound like a humbucker, but they sound less like a single coil.

It took many hours playing the guitar with the control cavity open, a fistfull of alligator clip test wires and organized boxes of resistors and capacitors to work out the controls. I love this guitar but will probably never do another one this complicated.

12. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I use a wah pedal cranked almost all the way down, there's a sweet resonant spot near the heel down position. That and a good bit of overdrive. A little echo or verb doesn't hurt either. It almost doesn't matter what pickup I use, but generally the neck. Since the wah is in my GT-100, the heel position is programmable. My Clapton woman tone patch can also be used to take the wah solos for songs like White Room by switching to bridge pickup. I also have the smart harmonizer on a footswitch, so I can play a three note harmony for the beginning of White Room, although it has an almost out of this world, Steve Vai kind of vibe to it.

13. Jacob Ullberger

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and suggestions.

Seems like both pickups in series and a .015 Cap is worth a try. Maybe through a cap to filter out the sub bass as philosofriend describes.
    I've been using tone caps of .050 and .033 and with the tone control all the way down I get a unusable muddy mess. But maybe a High Pass Cap can sort that out.

Philosofriend, I've got a few questions for you:
    • Have you got singe coils?
    • What cap values do you use for the Bridge and Bridge/Neck in series configurations?
    • Do you use the trimpots to get the series wiring in balance with the other positions?

14. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Just get a TC MojoMojo and roll off the tone on your guitar

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I neither a modder nor a pedal guy. I've never tried my hand at rewiring my teles or changing capacitors or whatever. And I have just one pedal, a BOSS ME-70 multi-fx, but I don't use it much at home and never at gigs. So all of my attempts at getting "woman tone" from my teles have been amp settings and Tone knob on my guitars. I don't really get there with the traditional style tele neck pickup (I have Wilkinson, DiMarzio Twang King and Bill Lawrence Keystone neck pickups in my teles). I do have a tele with a Wilkinson P-90. With the right settings on the amp and the Tone rolled off almost completely on the guitar, I get close with that tele.

But my best attempts at woman tone via amp and guitar controls are from my Logan Custom Challenger, loaded with two PAF style humbuckers. That sounds the most authentic to my ears. So that's how this plug-straight-in/no-modding simpleton goes about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.