1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clapton, Winwood - Had To Cry Today

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

From the Blind Faith album over 50 years ago. Two old friends jamming together making the magic. Both have favored Strats throughout their careers. I have much respect for both musicians.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Is there any instrument Winwood can't play? I seem to forget just how good he is, then you get a reminder.

3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

That guitar duet - thrilling!

Greggorios likes this.
  4. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

oldfish and Greggorios like this.
  5. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

With all due respect to Tele's, nothin' does chuckin' like a Stratocaster.

Fretting out and Dan R like this.
  6. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love that clip! I was actually at the Hollywood Bowl stop on that tour. What a great concert!

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've been on a Winwood/Traffic/Blind Faith kick for a while now. I recently read Tragic Magic, a biography of Chris Wood (Traffic) and just started Roll With It, a biography of Steve. I've been a fan of Winwood since the Spencer Davis Group came out in '66. I've seen him live with Traffic and more recently with his solo group which "kind of" emulates the Traffic line-up. It is simply amazing how good he still is......and of course, how well most of his older music has held up. ;)

8. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow. Winwood's voice still has range and flexibility. We're lucky.

9. Maicobmw

Maicobmw TDPRI Member

Fantastic stuff, haven't seen that before.

10. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

Blind Faith is one of my favorite albums and I've watched that video countless times over the years.
    I remember reading a quote by Clapton where he said, "I really had to bring my A game to the studio because Stevie can really play." And that song on the album is one of the best guitar duels I've ever heard (and damned good on that live performance). I thought for years that both parts were Clapton and overdubs but found out it was Winwood. It just cooks!

11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I clicked through that first video and after that they had them playing Dear Mr. Fantasy from the same night, and then Presence of the Lord from a couple year earlier, with Winwood on keys. They're such a great pairing. Although it's a Traffic song, not Blind Faith, I think the playing on Dear Mr. Fantasy may have topped this one, particularly Winwood's leads. Just incredible stuff for the majority of us who were a little young to see the during Blind Faith's limited lifespan. I did see a reconstituted Traffic once, opening for the Dead in the 'early/mid 90s. Steve sounded incredible in that show as well.

-Ray

Greggorios likes this.
  12. I got blisters

I got blisters TDPRI Member

Outstanding!

13. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They're so great together. I read somewhere that Clapton said that he had always thought of Stevie as guitar player rather than a keyboard guy. When I first listened to the Live at Madison Square Garden recording I was also struck by how similar their singing voices are.

nojazzhere and black_doug like this.
  14. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This recording is excellent, and well recorded. It covers the BF, Traffic, and the SW/ EC solo catalogue nicely. I’ve been enjoying it.

Greggorios likes this.
  15. David C

David C TDPRI Member

I think Steve is really a great musician and I didn't realize until just recently how many songs of his that I liked back in the 60s and 70s. I think it was hard to follow Clapton after Cream and I never heard of Steve Winwood way back then. If it wasn't Top 40, it was hard to know different groups unless you were really connected and had availability of great albums. But these days I have rediscovered Steve's music and really appreciate what he and Clapton put together.

16. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

Here's a cool alternate studio version of Blind Faith -- Can't Find My Way Home:

17. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

Big Traffic fan. Also Chris Wood. Saw Traffic at Academy of Music in 1974, IIRC. Dave Mason joined them for the encore. Here's an interesting video of Chris Wood and his wife with Ginger Baker's Air Force:

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting. So, that's Jeannette on the right? I can see (perhaps) why Chris was so smitten with her that he would tolerate her infidelities.....he was truly a tragic figure. Thanks for posting.

19. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's true. Even when Blind Faith first came out, I assumed that Winwood was doing most of the lead vocals.

But that goes back to Cream for me - I think I thought of Clapton as just a guitarist and didn't realize he was singing a lot of Cream's stuff, too.

- D

Greggorios likes this.
  20. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

They opened with this in the Blind Faith concert I saw on their only US tour. Winwood and Clapton were both playing Firebirds, weaving together. It was epic from the first note. I loved that band -- so incredibly musical, and with 3 insanely monstrous musicians driving it all. Even Ric Grech, the bassist who is rarely mentioned and praised, was a great fit,, layoing a platform from which the others could take off and swing. Winwood is a rock Mozart: musical prodigy both technically and creatively. And what a singer!

StrangerNY, black_doug and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.