1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clapton Custom Shop Neck

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Pawek Tanki, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Pawek Tanki

Pawek Tanki NEW MEMBER!

Hello!
    I am new here, I want to say hello and greet everyone very much. I have often read and used your posts. Now I need your help and advice myself.
    I want to buy a neck. However, I am concerned that the neck is original, produced by Fender Custom Shop? Add photos. Can any of you help me in this matter?
    Regards
    Paul

DEC 06 2005 2.JPG DEC 06 2005 1.JPG

2. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    It looks original and is a v neck. But I'm sure more qualified individuals will chime in. Good Luck!

3. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

That sure looks good.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Amen!

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

What s the cost ?

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Warmoth will build one, identical, licensed by Fender....probably half the price....but it's your money.

Tonetele, thunderbyrd and noah330 like this.
  7. Pawek Tanki

Pawek Tanki NEW MEMBER!

Thank you for the answers. Neck Fender Custom Shop Eric Clapton and other models are not so much stamped, but I can of course be wrong. I want to buy an original Fender neck, but these raise my doubts.

8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Fender CS doesn't sell parts. What is your source?

It does look like a very nice neck.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I second this. IMO, warmoth makes better necks than fender. but the one you're looking at is very pretty. but looks don't mean much to me - it's all about feel. and warmoth does 'em right.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

The neck looks to be an original Fender to me, though there does seem to be a lot of stamps. I have a Masterbuilt which has almsot no stamps or marks at all.

One thing to beware of in those heavily flamed necks is that they can be hard to keep straight and level. My own is more heavily flamed than the one in your photos, if you can believe it. But I cannot take it anywhere without having a truss rod wrench in the bag. My Fenders with plain maple seldom need adjustment, some never do. If I were to order another guitar, I would avoid the flash, and get something more stable and playable.

The Stratosphere and a few other places sometimes sell Custom Shop necks.

11. Amerman

Amerman TDPRI Member

Warmth don't sell a neck with the current Clapton neck profile, either the standard or custom shop versions Their necks are good but not as good as a custom shop. This looks a very good neck, but I can't say if it is or isn't legit.

12. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Have you played a Warmoth "Clapton profile" and been able to compare it with the Fender Clapton contour? I only ask because I own one of the Warmoths and was able to A-B with a Clapton sig strat, but I've never seen a CS with a Clapton V.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Amerman

Amerman TDPRI Member

I have played them all yes. I haven't had chance to directly A/B them, as they're not my guitars. From memory, the Warmoth profile has a more pronounced V shape compared to the Clapton, which is a softer V. It's most noticeable in the lower registers.

EDIT: I just checked with my mate who owns a Warmoth and a USA Clapton guitar to be sure i'm remembering correctly. The Warmoth neck he has (from December 2016) is a very pronounced deep V compared to the Clapton, which is more like the old Japanese '57 re-issue. However, he seems to think that the necks Warmoth are selling now are not the same so i'm not sure now!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that you should get a Warmoth , or other , neck that suits you. I took a few mm off a Mighty Mite Neck for a classical guitarist, did not want a reply for a few days whilst he was trying it out, then he described it as phenomenal ( not my words, his), so glad he was happy.

My point is, don't buy a neck unless you know exactly what YOU want- not Eric Clapton. That neck you seek is for you- not him.JMHO

15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Yes they do.
    Is that your only Flame ? I ve never had a problem w mine.

16. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Me either.

Attached Files:

17. Amerman

Amerman TDPRI Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have just got the aforementioned Warmth Clapton neck back to work on, so if anyone wants any details from it let me know. It's very different to the op pictures.

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

I would have guessed it was a real Fender neck being sold by someone like the STRATosphere.com. They sell a lot of real Fender parts for just a bit more than you'd pay if you could.

Basically, they charge just a bit more than the usual going rate for the convenience of not having to search and wait for them to turn up.

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I have tried to duplicate my Clapton neck with Warmoth and USACG etc. I never got there with either. Both make good necks of course. The other thing I've found, having had several after market necks, is that, of course, they are not finished completely. Sharp fret ends etc So unless you have luthier skills, you are fooling yourself. Also, I would avoid the double truss rods etc. I discovered by accident how much heavier they are when changing necks once.... and for some reason seemed "dead".
    IMHO the best aftermarket neck out there is the Std Strat Fender neck. At about $200 brand new, and completely finished I haven't had a bad one yet. I just like the feel of them also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.