1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clapperboard or similar for collabs?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by thesamhill, Nov 18, 2020.

1. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Having the same DAW still requires that you have the same 3rd party plugins, unless you're bouncing/freezing tracks that you add, maybe. I still think it's better to have one person making mix decisions. Take turns on projects if necessary to keep everyone happy, maybe, and of course accept comments and suggestions, but someone has to drive the bus.

simoncroft and thesamhill like this.
  2. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yep, even with the same software, we still send audio stems back and forth. The "host" puts the mix together, using built in effects if the stems are raw audio. A side benefit of not being too particular about tone.

So far were doing well accepting each other's approaches and decisions.

Of course we're still on our first song. You'll probably see a new thread soon about how you deal with idiot collaborators who overuse flangers when a song clearly calls for a tremolo effect or such :mad:;)

awasson and simoncroft like this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Reaper has always struck me as great value for such a comprehensive and well developed DAW. It's the one I tend to suggest to people who ask: "What DAW should I run on my PC?"

I'd never jump from Logic to Reaper, though. Apart from the fact I have years of experience invested in using Logic – so I don't really want to learn to do something similar a slightly different way in Reaper – there are features on the recent versions of Logic that are so cutting edge, they are unique. Plus, those version upgrades are free.

For a commercial studio to move to Reaper seems a little strange.

4. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hey Simon,
    Yes, I was intrigued by the comment about my buddy switching to reaper as well. Since I’ve known him he’s always used Logic but he said that Logic is a resource hog and his pro level Mac boxes were getting bogged down. One of Reaper’s compelling features is that it manages resources much better than other DAW software so I understand his point.

When using Logic of even GarageBand, I used to shut down all programs, reboot and then have a session. After a couple of years of Reaper, my process is just open Reaper and go. I’m running a 2016 iMac 27 i7 machine with 32GB RAM and it’s been very good at not running out of resources with Reaper. I used to run out of resources on GB or Logic and my controls would freeze or the screen wouldn’t redraw or the recording wouldn’t stop playing or recording. Weird stuff would happen.

The settings in Reaper can be packaged and exported so I can take my customized interface with all of the controls and mixers on my Mac, export them to a theme and template and someone else on Mac or PC (or Linux) can import and use them to get the same interface on their machine. I exported my settings and gave them to my buddy with the studio because he liked my setup, which I imported from the guy I do my music with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.