Clackers... Remember These?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, May 2, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

the tip with a cap gun was, you loaded about five or six single caps into the flat piece where one cap was supposed to sit. It was LOUD!

I blew part of my thumbnail off doing that

totally worth it

2. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Heck we took the whole roll of caps and would hit them with a brick or hammer..

Imagine walking around your hood nowadays with a cap gun firing away..

CAPGUN.jpg

within minutes you would have police,swat swarming around...

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

my first skate board was one of those skates nailed to a piece of 1/2 inch ply wood

4. 24 track

I had one of these and if I look really hard I'd probably find it

i think it was called a gyroball

Gyrotwister.jpg

Torren61 likes this.
  5. blowtorch

Yeah, I also had made a cap "bomb", a length of narrow pipe with a weight inside attached to a string, you stack up your caps in there and drop that weight and KAPOW. Maybe that's how I blew my thumbnail apart, I don't really recall

caps these days are so lame, ditto for those "snappers", they used to be a lot louder

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have two sets of lawn darts in the boxes in my garage. I had three sets but I sold one set to a TDPRI member.

My dad was an avid lawn dart guy when we went camping. Pabst drinking and lawn darts in the moonlight with his buddies. The kids were told to stay back. We watched in amazement. That's why I buy lawn darts at garage sales.

I think the clackers were more dangerous than lawn darts. I've seen kids nearly clack an eye out. Clacking can get nutty.

My mom bought me a set of Saftey Lawn Darts when I was 10. I thought they were embarrassing.

[​IMG]
    I wanted to be this tough guy.
    [​IMG]

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

What a crazy thread. And thanks for the memories. I have proof that you don’t outgrow stupid experimentation using common every day objects in ways that were never intended while you’re still a kid. Who had a real sled in college? We never needed one when cafeteria trays were easy to abscond with. They were the fastest way down the very steep hill one of the men’s dorms was built on. They were crazy fast but you had absolutely no control over vector or velocity after launch and I had a concussion to prove it. What was a college health center for? Birth control pills and patching up the walking wounded.

8. blowtorch

[​IMG]

Somehow the plastic handles on mine were always swinging and dangling by one weak rivet, and the "autofeed" thing didn't work very well, you had to pull the caps up by hand mostly

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

We had a pair of those, but they were kind of large, well my feet were smaller even if I tried adjusting with the key.

The last time I tried them on in whatever you call that room before the outside door, and fell, so they wouldn't let me try them again and I never learned to skate really.

Torren61 likes this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

We didn't have seatbelts in cars, or, if you did they were just lap belts. My mom would be driving and she'd hit the brakes and she'd reach out with her right arm (steering wheel on the left here) and she'd try to hold whichever kid was sitting in the front from slamming into the dash. I guess she thought she had amazing mutant strength.

As kids, we'd ride in the back of the pickup truck. Our parents would have us wait in the car while they went into the store to shop. We'd have dirt clod and BB gun fights. Some would get hit in the face. We'd all jump ramps with our bikes like Evel Knievel. Some would break bones.

11. 24 track

its when you think out side the box that it gets interesting , our local drugstore used to sell saltpetre, sulphur, and we would mix it with sugar, and charcoal load up ping pong balls with 1/2 our concoction and the other 1/2 wooden match heads then reseal the ball with tape,make about 1 dozen of these go to the local park and toss them at concrete tennis ball court barriers just to watch them explode........isnt science wonderful and no one lost an eye

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Clackers stimulated the mind SO much more than television! :D:D:D

13. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I have a set of clackers in my nightstand drawer.

I paid a kid sitting behind me $10 for them at a ball game a few years ago... just so that I wouldn’t have to hear them anymore. Seriously. I said, “I’ll give you $10 for those.” He looked at his dad... dad nodded... I gave the kid a $10 bill... he handed me the clackers and I put them in the side pocket of my cargo shorts. When I got home, I put them in the drawer and never thought about them again until I saw this thread.

14. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What, now you're Darwin's little helper?

Lake Placid Blue and Torren61 like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Never forget the smell of gunpowder in the air after a big cap pistol fight with my little buddies.

16. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We had ever crazy toy out there, later I realized why so many parents would gather on the porch with an ice chest full of beer. Best entertainment in town!
    Only thing I wish had come out when I was a kid, was the Big Wheel! My younger Brother had a blast on that thing when I tied it up to my bike!! He would get to power slide that thing till he ate a curb, fly off laughing, then hop back on if it was still in one piece,,,Great Times!

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone ever play BB Gun War?

18. blowtorch

I had a lens shot out of my glasses with a bb gun. While wearing them

19. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

We invented our toys

Lake Placid Blue and 24 track like this.
  20. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

I remember playing war with firecrackers. Not a lot of supervision back then...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.