CL real or game

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by popthree, Jun 14, 2019.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not an expert by any stretch...but I think it could be a real deal Tele based on the pics. Not sure if the seller is just pulling legs or what. I messaged suggesting he get ot appraised though. Who knows?

I cant imagine what fun could be had by playing such a game. If its truly a naive seller (unlikely) he needs help.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Seems something isn't right, but you never know...

3. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Pics aren't very good, but even if it's not old, that Tele is probably worth $400-$500. So not much to lose, unless the seller is fishing for something or trying to crime you in a dark alley.

From the very few images, I don't see anything that's obviously off. Go for it, but proceed with caution.

5. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a scam to me. Seller is trying awfully hard to come across like a babe in the woods who knows nothing about guitars. Just what you would do to attract a sucker in a scam.

My guess is that if you bite, you will get some crazy run around and will not be able to see it before you buy.

nojazzhere and ladave like this.
  6. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

ladave and Danjabellza like this.
  7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I wonder what the scam is? It's a mobile phone number. He searches the internet to get the value of a telecaster but doesn't type in 1960. But does steal pictures from a vintage guitar dealer. So that adds up. SMH.

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

As soon as somebody leads with "I don't know much about it" you can bet it is always a scam. Nobody is going to list anything for sale without researching to find out if it is valuable. By saying that you really don't know much about something, you are trying to avoid having to answer questions and avoiding responsibility if there is something wrong.

I don't know what the scam is though as he doesn't like emails and prefers phone call? Maybe it is just to get you on the hook to where you will provide that sensitive information later?

Stubee, JayFreddy and nojazzhere like this.
  9. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe he wants to shame people who might try to swoop in and get the deal of a lifetime?

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Might be worth a shot ... You never know ...

11. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

From what I've read, these scammers either want to draw you in and get your personal information (phone #, address, email, maybe even credit card or paypal info if you're that naive to give it to them) or trick you into agreeing to some convoluted payment scheme ("well, I'm in the Army overseas, so I don't have the guitar with me, but if you send me payment I'll have my shipping company send it to you" or something like that). In any event, you'll end up with no money and no guitar (or at least not a 1960 Tele).

You could try it out and see what happens, but it reeks of scammer. They're like the animals that pretend to be weak or injured to draw in unsuspecting prey. They say, "oh, poor little innocent me, I have this ugly old guitar with the paint peeling..please let me give it to you for nothing just to get rid of this hideous thing". Yeah, right. They're counting on you getting that "but what if it's real?" thought to pull you in. Maybe the Nigerian prince really DOES have $10 million to split with you.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

It is curious that the number given IS a Tulsa mobile number, so at least it seems local to the add. Who knows, maybe it IS legit?:confused:

13. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

CL absolutely creeps me out.

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Could be wrong, but I think I've seen those pics (though not the same text) here on DFW Craigslist. I'd be willing to bet GOOD money (up to $5.00) it's a scam.

15. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

That picture, etc., is stolen from Gary Dick in Cincinnati. Gary's Classic Guitars. Good guy, legit dealer.

16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

17. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Complete scam. Flag it immediately.

JayFreddy likes this.
  18. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Absolutely worth checking out. I got a NOS Ric 360/12 for $125, and just picked up a Martin SWDGT for $300. (Okay, the top had split but the repair is less than $100.)
    I check CL every day.

19. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Somebody's gonna end up with their head in this guys freezer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.