CL ad for Fender Bronco Amp...need some feedback

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tah1962, Apr 6, 2020.

1. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Looks clean. Price is ok. Most folks know that a Bronco is a VC, so you're not gonna see huge differences in prices. Some VCs go for more, but I've seen a few recently go for less. I would open negotiations quite a bit less. ~$350-400. Of course low-balling is generally considered bad form. But keep in mind lots of SF Champs and VCs are on the market. Fender made zillions of them. You can find one at a good price if you're patient.

tah1962 likes this.
  3. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Uh huh. I guess it's a good thing that Reverb no longer states how long an item's been listed. :rolleyes: Granted, it's not one of these.

https://reverb.com/item/31055271-fender-twin-reverb-1975-silver-face

But a Bronco/VC, as great as it is, is still a student amp from the 70s. There are tons of them. No reason to pay more than $5-600 in decent condition.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Vintage/?Ntt=champ&Ns=r

stevemc and tah1962 like this.
  5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Looks nice 'n' clean except:

Seller shows us everything except what we want to see.

I want to see inside the chassis.

I cant to see date codes on the transformers.

I want to see if the PT looks cooked.

I want to see the tubes. I'm generally not impressed by a full lineup of imported tubes. While we're at it, I'm never impressed by "just been to a tech and checked over". If you're selling it, that's my money you just spent. Skip the trip to a tech and knock off $100.

There's a big difference between a drip edge and the OP's CL find. The Reverb drip edge is overpriced. I'm embarrassed to say what I got for a 1967 Bronco S/N 19101. Way less than $950.

I should have kept that one.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

All those pictures and not one shot of the underside or inside of the amp.

Looks clean, it's not likely to be from the 60's, but rather from the early 70's. Ad says 'checked over' and 'needs nothing' but I would be skeptical. It's very likely it could use a new cap can and a couple of other electrolytics replaced.

The Jupiter speaker is likely an upgrade, although with vintage amps you generally want the original as well.

A few years ago I bought a 77 VC for $500 CAD (maybe $350 USD), bought a new speaker and had it serviced, played it for a few years and sold it last year for $800 CAD (about $575 USD), which is pretty much what I had put into it.

tah1962 likes this.
  7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Forgot to mention... the upper back panel isn't original. The tolex texture doesn't match the rest of the amp.

ce24, LuthRavin and tah1962 like this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, let's look at this a little.

First, the owner is selling an amp that he seems to know very little about. Anyone who bothers to spend just a few minutes online would know how to date the amp by the transformers and other clues. We never get to see the dates, but the pre-'70 Broncos had the aluminum frame around the grill cloth. The one in the ad clearly is a '70's model and could be anything from a 1970 all the up to the final year....which does matter regarding the cabinet wood.

Second, it is a Vibro-champ in a slightly differnt cosmetic with all the good and bad that goes with it. One of the bads is how boxy they sound with that 8 inch speaker. I much prefer Champ clones that use at least a 10 inch or even 12 inch speaker.

Third, a nice original VC seems to go for around $650 these days, so the changed speaker and fact that you have no idea what else has been changed makes this a red flag buy at that price. If you are able to see the circuit and verify the transformers, then it might be a good choice as it does look pretty clean for a Silverface, but based on just what the seller wants you to see....no dice.

tah1962 likes this.
  9. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

AlbertaGriff and tah1962 like this.
  10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

The Jupiter speaker is definitely an upgrade over the original Oxfart, which is good for a doorstop, if nothing else.

tah1962 likes this.
  11. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Thanks to all that have responded so far. I certainly don’t need another amp, but I’ve always wanted either an old Fender Champ, or Gibson Falcon. I’m still waiting for the right one to come along. My son got a Gibson Falcon a few years ago in fantastic shape, all original for $250.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You can get a Champ for $350-400 if you dont need a Vibro Champ.

AlbertaGriff and tah1962 like this.
  13. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Maybe $650 is common in your experience for a VC, but I have a nice 65 VC that I listed for sale last year, at quite a bit higher price. Had 3 offers to buy, before I got cold feet and pulled it. One of those potential buyers begged me to keep his email if I ever changed my mind.
    It's not a museum piece by any means, but has all the original bits (and items changed out in a baggie) one would hope to have in a vintage Fender.

LuthRavin and tah1962 like this.
  14. Milspec

I only count the ones that sold. Around here, it has been around $650 for a clean example. i see them listed over $750 quite often, but not selling at that amount. In my view, if you can get $700 for a Vibrochamp....SELL.

tah1962 likes this.
  15. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought a blackface champ about 3 years ago for 499 i haven't seen one even close to that low for quite a while. In the 90s I bought a champ and a vibro champ for $200 each, but nowadays it looks to me like around 500 for a silverface is about what people are asking. I think that's a fair price probably.

Milspec and tah1962 like this.
  16. Milspec

They are a good little amp, no doubt about it, but at the end of the day it has an 8 inch speaker and a boxy sound due to the small cabinet. Once you replace the speaker, it helps, but that just adds more cost to what has already become too high.

I owned a '74 for about 2 years, replaced the speaker to a Weber and it was a good amp. Eventually, I added another jack, disconnected the speaker and ran the amp to a 1x12 pine cabinet....MUCH better sounding amp, but I sold it soon after and bought a Victoria 5112 (Tweed Champ in a Deluxe Cab and 12 inch speaker)....that was the Champ tone I was after.

If you can land a VC for a good price, they are worth it, but at the prices people list them at...you can get better amps for that kind of money. At least IMHO, individual tastes may be differ.

tah1962 likes this.
  17. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I used one owned quite a bit in studios in the late '70s. The recording engineer could make
    it sound like anything small on up to a large amp stack. It is a great amp for recording.

tah1962 likes this.
  18. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Where are these Champs for <$400? Perhaps I’m looking at something different but all the Champs I’ve found are $1000+.

19. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Well, this was last year when I had it for sale. But it was a good bit higher than $700. But I choose to keep it.

20. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Maybe - once agin - I should list all the hand-wired 5-watt amps with 8" speaker for sale now. Pretty much all of them are over $1000. But, too many people cannot get past the idea that VC sold sometime in the last century for $100-200.

LuthRavin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.