1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CL $49 value

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Danomo, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Attached Files:

2. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

An almost invisible repair...

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Good $49 body and electrics. Not such a great neck, but a deal at $49. You're going to change out the pups anyway, aren't you? Just don't go to the same tech as did the neck repair!

4. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great deal for $ 49 but when did they start making s'mores glue :lol:

5. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

It'll buff out.

6. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

It's purely cosmetic. The crack doesn't go all the way through. It's just in the finish. Stays in tune perfectly. Plays like butter.

7. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Who uses spray foam to fix a guitar neck?

8. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Now would be a good time for a little friendly advice about wood repair.......

NEVER USE GORILLA GLUE ON ANYTHING.......EVER!

Titebond is the way to go. What would have been a pretty straight forward repair will now be a time consuming nightmare. All the old glue must be removed & Gorilla glue swells the wood grain, so even after it's cleaned off, the two pieces won't fit together properly.

That being said, I'd pay $49 for that mess. You could make a few bucks in parts anyway.....

Bob

9. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

heh worse choice for glue for many reasons.. one is it adds water to the joint before it even expands.. hhe.
    chris.

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen a few Asian Lesters with busted necks. Seems to be a 50/50 split pardon the pun between headstock breaks and neck joint breaks.

We have two horizontal mortisers in our workshop. When it's not so cold out there I'm going to make a Les Paul jig for the mortiser.

It's a relatively intrusive process to clean out the neck pocket but it's like new when it's done. Only difficulty is finding a replacement neck...

Which brings us to another back burner project: Converting bolt on necks to long tenon set necks. Not as difficult as it seems! Done right it's stronger than the original Asian neck. Drop one of those on the floor. It will break the floor.

I engineered a modified set neck that's almost as strong as a neck- through.

It all evolved from a simple concept: I don't like bound fingerboards with big inlays. Unbound rosewood is o.k. and I prefer dots.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.