1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CL 1952 Telecaster listing-whatcha think?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by backalleyblues, Sep 24, 2014.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ooof... That's bad. That wire channel! :lol:

Notice that the only things not photographed are the areas that usually have a date on them.

3. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

The decal is wrong.

4. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It may be "In the style of" a '52, but a '52 it is not! I'm no expert, but there's a lot of things that even I can spot.
    Decal has been mentioned. That's wrong, and badly done. Wiring is a mix of cloth covered, plastic covered, modern cap, etc. Serial number on the bridge is, according to the Fender dater, '54, and the body routs are certainly not from the fifties. Wiring channel has been mentioned, and back then, the corners of the neck pocket were not rounded out. It might not even be a Fender body!

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I don't usually chance my limited knowledge in these threads, but here goes.

Looks like a 3-piece pine body to me, not the 2-piece ash it should probably be.

There are also too many Phillips screws in there instead of flatheads.

It also looks in way too good condition.

Did they have serial numbers on the headstock back then? Hmm.

Finally, I'm not seeing any initials on any of the parts you usually see them on.

I'm afraid that's as far as my "expertise" goes.

6. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

The Gruhn letter seems to think it is genuine:confused::confused:

7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Probably easier to forge a letter than a guitar.

However, I am no expert, so I should move over to make room for those who are.

8. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Bollocks.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Apart from your unneeded foul language, why is the Gruhn letter wrong, aren't they the experts? If anyone doubted the letter surely a quick call to Gruhn would satisfy them?

10. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

"oh grow up"

Joan Rivers

11. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Pathetic and puerile response again, look at the letter. I'm not saying the guitar looks right, all I'm pointing out is that Gruhn has seen pictures that lead them to say it is genuine. Unless it is a forgery as Hemingway says.

12. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Actually, the Fender dater wouldn't be much use in this instance as any serial number below 6000 comes out as '54.

13. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's interesting and I wasn't aware of it before.
    I still feel that the guitar is not an original '52 though.

14. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

The body, bridge PU, the pots/wiring, neck plate/screws, pickguard and the decal are obviously non-original but the rest of the guitar could be authentic ;).

Guestimate of the value for Ebay sale: Neck (refin/refret) 3000, Bridge plate(hacked at the corner) 300, orig. saddles/screws/springs 500, tuners (orig no-line) 1000, Neck PU (rewound, leads, with paint residue?) 300, control plate 500, knobs 300, other (jack, string tree, switch? etc.) 400. Summed 6300, minus 15% would be 5400, so I guess it could sell for between 4k and 6k. 6k seem pretty far off from what Gruhn said to me (can't read the letter).

15. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

After a quick look I would say there's good points, but real bad points too. Serial number is fine, bridge looks good, tuners look good, neck doesn't look bad except as some said, this decal is wrong, post 1961 (patent numbers under "Telecaster") could be a restauration mistake, I think 12th fret dots are correct. Control plate and knobs look good. But it's the body that really worries me, particularly the cavities. Neck pickup cavity should be openned on neck pocket, it has a wrong size, but that could have been modified together with openning diagonal route on the pickup cavity, but there should be a trace of nail hole next to the neck pick up cavity anyway. Control cavity's low edge should be flatter, not semi circular, not speaking of course of the differences of level inside at the bottom... wood doesn't seem to be ash. Maybe some genuine vintage parts have been set on a copy body.

16. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Decal, switch tip, and philips heads would be unoriginal.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

A lot of things look fishy to me, except the bridge and control plate which look OK.

The letter could be a forgery, or the pics it's based on could have been different or doctored, or who knows, maybe the bridge was put on a genuine 52 for Gruhn, and then switched to this guitar for sale.

I read a piece years ago where a seller was offering a Hendrix Strat with authentification documents.
    The "buyer"- writer sent the seller authentification documents showing that it was a George Harrison Strat.

18. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Waaaayyyy easier to forge a letter than a guitar. Using that as proof is specious. Can someone explain the routing under the control panel, and why it looks incorrect?

19. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well, it is possible that the person "refinishing" the body, routed out a little more room for the new orange drop cap. I've enlarged a control cavity to fit a 4-way. Wasn't a "52" though.

I not an expert either, but I had the same thoughts you guys did; looks like a partscaster, with a few '50's parts.

20. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

This thread raises an interesting question. Are we to accept the assessment of a firm like Gruhn, or not? If not, then on whom can a buyer rely for a proper evaluation?

I looked at the letter as closely as I could, and it does say that the evaluation is from photos only and not in person. There might be a other caveats, but it was too fuzzy to read.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.