CITES and a UK problem?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 41144, Oct 23, 2019.

1. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Hello to all ... and politics aside!

Came across this in a Guitar magazine over here:
    DSC_1347.JPG

Now it's not going to bother me and the little ol'e band I play with, but it strikes me that, on a quid pro quo basis, it could also possibly affect players coming to the UK of GB & NI (for non-Brits = Britain to all effect), either from within the EU or outside of it.

ie. Previously, within the EU we're all cool and if you live outside the EU, presumably, your country has an agreement whereby if you're playing/touring in Europe you can bring your CITEs affected guitars with no problem.
    If the UK does leave the EU - presumably your country will need to arrive at a new CITES permit agreement with the UK before you can bring any affected guitars/gear here with you?

Hopefully the powers that be have already resolved all this :lol: - but I'd hate to think of someone having their gear impounded on arrival at a UK border!
    Be interested to know if anyone can find a reciprocal US .gov webpage about this, or even French/German etc one?

rze99 likes this.
  2. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

It's complicated. Well, it's Brexit, so complicated is an understatement.

Under current rules, Appendix I materials require permits to travel across international borders, and theoretically so does Appendix II but there are exemptions for many materials when related to musical instruments that are personal property (ie not being bought or sold) being carried rather than shipped, such as Appendix II rosewoods and Pernambuco (used for violin bows). At the end of November the Appendix II rosewood thing changes again to allow shipping and international trade in musical instruments without permits.

So, if you have Appendix II rosewood in your guitar and no exotic shell you should be fine to move those guitars between Europe and the UK. If you have Brazilian rosewood that's another matter, particularly if you're used to the UK's rather laid back approach to CITES. Certain EU countries such as Germany and Spain are very hot on uncertified CITES materials, particularly BR, and you'd be playing with fire shipping anything CITES restricted to either of those countries unless the paperwork is done and checked with a fine toothcomb.

Traveling as a touring musician between those countries rather then buying and selling might be less risky - having travelled around the EU with a band a few times and seen the way vans full of gear and musicians tends to attract attention at the border crossings I'd be a bit cautious, personally - but also we've still to see how things will pan out for touring musicians in that respect anyway - a mate of mine used to be a tour manager for a couple of reasonably decent sized bands, and his hair used to go a little greyer every time he had to get a band into the US on a work visa, so here's hoping the same won't become the norm to tour the EU.

However, all this depends when we leave (which now seems unlikely until at least January), whether we leave with Boris's deal or it gets amended to a Customs Union, what sort of trade deal we do moving forward, so... well, who knows.

41144 likes this.
  3. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

jayyj.... Thanks for that excellent exposition.
    I'd say I'm on the same page regarding the whole mess that 'that' referendum unleashed.

jayyj likes this.
  4. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.