cirti-strip / SX Furrian - What the HE$# is the neck finished with...?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Bman40, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Bman40

Bman40 TDPRI Member

I have had the citri-strip on the neck of my SX Furrian for three plus hours.... no effect WHATSOEVER!!!!

The government should look at what they use and put it on tanks or something... its not budging AT ALL!

Its bit cold here today - the bottle says 68 to 80 degrees is best...could that be the problem? I've turned my shop heater on and hopefully it will warm up a bit and I can get the crappy orange plastic off the neck.

Barry

2. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Thats chinese tech, no sell to USA!

3. LightninMike

LightninMike Tele-Holic

it could be a polyurethane blend which is cheap and fast to use

i wound up using a regular strength stripper on a body a while back and it was the only thing that could get through

4. K-Line

K-Line Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Probably polyester urethane.

5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Those nice-smelling citrus strippers are friendly to the environment, and consequently they're not very effective at softening finishes. Generally they're good for things that you could just have easily removed with alcohol or lacquer thinner (like shellac finishes on old furniture). Once they encounter modern catalyzed finishes they're no longer useful as strippers.

I would suggest, however, that almost any finish can be removed with a heat gun as long as you're careful not to char the wood underneath. Remember, stripping is a process of softening the finish (either with chemicals or with heat), then lifting it off mechanically (with some kind of scraper or putty knife). I'm really glad you didn't try sanding which would have just wasted some good sandpaper.

6. Bman40

Bman40 TDPRI Member

Vizcaster -

I have a heat gun but I've been afraid to use it - I definately dont want to char the wood. is there a risk of warping the wood with the heat?

is that a potential problem? ?

7. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Considering the amount of work and time involved, if the heat gun works, in the long run it would be alot easier to just buy a used neck. I've had finishes that even a heat wouldn't touch and only sanding would remove it. You can find Squier necks on Ebay for $30 all day long.

8. Vizcaster

Sheperd, you're absolutely right, but when it comes to tinkering with guitars reason doesn't always prevail.

Bman, just go slow with the heat gun and keep it moving. The idea is not to melt the finish, really, it's just to get it to heat up, then cool off, then heat up, then cool off, then heat up, until it gives up and releases itself from the wood. The only real risk of charring is if you have a nitro or other old style finish that's flammable and sometimes starts to smolder (don't ask me how I knew that).

9. jstream

jstream Tele-Holic

Zip Strip marine. Non-flammable, and will remove it.

10. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

I have used it to remove the finish from a Fender body (poly) Still took a while, and several applications.

11. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Forgot to mention that if using heat or a strong stripper be careful around the frets. Some builders use glue to hold them in and strippers or heat can soften it.

I once had to strip an old MIM Strat and nothing would touch that finish. The fumes from the heat gun nearly knocked me out. I got so ticked off I ended up running it thru my planer :lol:.

DSC00175.jpg DSC00176.jpg DSC00179.jpg

That's all finish :eek:. It was almost an 1/8" thick.

DSC00177.jpg

12. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

When I strip poly or that god - awful catalyzed urethane, I use a belt sander and then a random orbital with 80,150 and 220 grit paper. I would not even try it on a neck. Getting that stuff off a fretboard would be a nightmare.

13. Vizcaster

If its the same stuff I saw on This Old House (and tried after ordering some through a paint store that got it from Canada), it's okay to use on wood but only up to a point. It works by having hydrogen peroxide break down into water and oxygen bubbles. The bubbles soften and lift the paint but the water can be an issue if you let it soak into the wood too much. That's not a concern for aluminum alloy aircraft fuselage, remember it's not designed to be used on wood. I've used it on woodwork and it can soften the wood too much so I gouged some moldings by scraping.

14. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Yep. I coated my fallout shelter with catalyzed polyester. I should be safe from a direct hit.

15. rideit

rideit Tele-Holic

I actually really like how that looks just run through the planer! If the belly cut wasn't so messed up, I think it would look pretty cool with just a nice stain and finish.
    Might be a really fun thing to do to an SX or something.

16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I just scraped a whole neck full of thick poly off a cheap neck .no easy way really .Its the accepted way .F1 cars are dealt with in the same way .They get a strip down every time its painted and its just scraped off .I use a Stanley blade and get scraping .I havnt tried a body so havnt tried a heat gun yet .it doesnt take long ,just boring .I do a about 10 minutes a day cos I'm lazy .

17. Ed Miller

Ed Miller Tele-Meister

flame thrower?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.