1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

circuit board out of lexan ?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Fontane57, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Fontane57

Fontane57 Tele-Meister

has anyone ever used lexan to make circuit boards . i made a 5e3 board with it but before i put it together i would like to to know if it will work. being broke it would surely help out if i can use it . thanks johnny

2. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Lexan melts at ~300F, so you cant solder right up against it.

What you could do is run the wires through the holes, clamp a hemostat on as a heat sink to protect the lexan (or needle nose pliers with a rubber band on the handle), and solder the wires 1/8-1/4 out from the board.

In other words, just use the board to hold the parts in place.

Another el cheapo approach is to use 1/8-1/4" wood and do as above or use small nails as solder terminals.

3. Fontane57

Fontane57 Tele-Meister

thanks bud, the melting point was what i was worried about. that and how conductive it might be . looks like i better try for something else .

4. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

You can use it. Just keep the heat off the board while soldering.

Should be quite a good insulator (and look cool).

Otherwise, I'd say the ghetto wood and nails approach is a classic--or just wood. So what if it gets slightly burned?

5. Nash

Nash Tele-Holic

I'd give it a shot and if it starts to melt you can stop using it and move to a silicon based board or wood like others suggested. I think that as long as you're careful there wont be any melting and you'll have a cool looking board holding your components.

6. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Drill for turrets or eyelets and you'll be golden. You'd still want to solder quickly, but it's totally doable.

7. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

I know times are hard and believe me, I've been there more than once with a family. If your lexan is free, well then you can't beat that. Otherwise the cheapest price I have found on G-10 board material is Tube Depot. They have been running a sale for a while now at .45 an inch as opposed to .60. And their shipping is only 3.95 no matter how much you order with a small limitation. So, say a 12 inch board would cost 5.40 plus the 3.95 shipping. Order other parts, it's still 3.95 shipping.
    But like I said, I've been there and remember turning down things because I didn't have $5 I could spare and lunch would be a buttered roll and coffee.

8. Fontane57

Fontane57 Tele-Meister

thanks everyone. yea the lexan is free and i,ve got a couple differant thickness"s to chose from.

i drilled the first and installed eyelets cause thats what i had. shoot i"m gonna give it a try . i,ll let ya,ll know how it comes out . thanks again johnny p.s. first one is .093 thick but i have enough 1\4 inch for several .

9. AumAmps

AumAmps TDPRI Member

Ive used it in my tweed Princeton clone with a copper chassis and originally 400+ volts on the plate. I had a picture around here somewhere. Its a very very quiet amp. I wish I could build larger amps out of copper. The Lexan holds up fine but when I went in there to change the power transformer out I did mark up the board a little bit from the gun and had to epoxy one of the turrets back in. Its a studio-only amp so I dont have to worry about road reliability and everyone loves the thing to death. I am working on another amp right now and im going to use the Lexan again since I have it laying around.
    I was originally worried about static and random oscillations across the surface at first but that problem never arose. Just make sure those turrets are tight. Heatsinks are a good idea. I use silver solder and turrets so I can get in and out pretty fast.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.