1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Circuit Amperage Requirement for New Music Room

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Oakville Dave, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

I'm at the stage of wiring my new music/family room. I've put in 10 outlet boxes (9 single, 1 double) on two circuits for amplifiers, a stereo system, TV/monitor, computer work station, and occasionally a small PA. If I'm planning on having 2 guitars, bass, keys, and a small PA running together, should the two circuit breakers be 15 or 30 amps each? What are the advantages of each?
    FR.JPG

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Did you mean 20 amps? 30 amp circuits would probably be overkill.

Not sure I wanna think about how many times I've run a PA, Bass, 2 guitars and a harmonica off one single 15 watt outlet in some crappy bar... The outlet's usually worn out, loose and a chip or two out of the outlet itself as well. Always makes me nervous.... both for our physical safety and the safety of our gear!

I dunno that I've ever had a music space with a 20 amp circuit. What a luxury that sounds like! LOL

I honestly think you'd be fine with two 15 amp circuits. Especially since you've run 14 ga wire already. To go higher amperage, you would need to up the size of your wire.

SRHmusic likes this.
  3. zipseattle

zipseattle Tele-Meister

Add up the amp loads of all the devices you're likely to be running at once on each circuit, and factor in a margin. Perhaps 15 or 20 amp breakers will be enough, who knows. Recommend GFCI's as the first outlet in each circuit (or panel breakers with built in GFCI), with the other standard outlets downstream. GFCI's are a no brainer - they prevent fires and save lives.

SRHmusic and Axis29 like this.
  4. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Two 15's should do more than you want. I would hate to hear what one 15A circuit would do to the ringing in my ears. Used to have some buddies practice at my old place years ago and we had to amplify the bass drum. Two guitars, bass keyboards and monitors on one circuit. Those were good times.

5. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Looks by the photo that you wired with 14ga wire?. You are now pretty committed to 15amp breakers

Peegoo and Blrfl like this.
  6. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

D'tar is correct......15 amp is the limit on 14 gauge wire. I would do 4 circuits and use the little double breakers if you a short on box space. That way if you have something putting noise on a circuit, you have the option to move to another.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.