Circle of fifths

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by TeleAnthony, Feb 22, 2017.

1. TeleAnthony

TeleAnthony Tele-Meister

Someone in the last week started a thread about how his sister taught him the circle of fifths and it was brilliant. Stupid me though did not comment or select to follow it. Now I can't find it. Can someone post a link here?

Thanks!

SlappyDuck likes this.
  2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here is my idea of a circle of 5ths (you KNEW it was coming)_ tile_coaster.jpg :

3. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Beat me to it.

4. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

5. TeleAnthony

TeleAnthony Tele-Meister

erratick likes this.
  6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's about 2000 videos on Youtube on the subject.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Or you could just play the A section of "In your own sweet way".

[​IMG]

8. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

With all the talk about circle of fifths in 35 years of playing music I still don't see it's practical purpose, other than for creating a nifty diagram that eventually lands back at the start. I do know what it is. Maybe to demonstrate the V-I "resolution" sound that everyone already knows if they have heard any western music ever?

BartS likes this.
  9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

It's best practical purpose for me was when that band you are sitting in with decides to change key of the song with no warning.
    I do the quick math with the circle of fifths.
    Also the guy that puts on a capo, with no warning.
    Circle of fifths.

speedy mcfeely, awasson and Pualee like this.
  10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Can you say Five of Five...

11. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

I've got a google search trick: "sister circle of fifths site:tdpri.com"

I just search for whatever the terms are (usually two fairly distinctive terms as a minimum), and then limit the search to this site's url.

w3stie likes this.
  12. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Circle of Fifths is a good compositional/improvisational tool. Then you can move on to "backcycle 5" -- see the bridge of rhythm changes.

xafinity likes this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

You can look all the way across (like from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock) to see the tritone substitution.

sockgtr likes this.
  14. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

This. It depends on the type of music but a lot of swing influenced tunes have chord progressions that move by resolving down a 5th. It's good to understand the movement and helpful, as said above, if there is a key change. Also, as a practice technique, it is a good way to make sure you practice everything in all keys.

Artemio_Cruz likes this.
  15. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

As someone who has spent considerable amount of time playing both the piano and guitar once you spend exactly 37 seconds learning to transpose songs which is the same as just switching keys it should almost be automatic if you have practiced enough. Even if it's not you just move every chord the corresponding amount of same steps and there you go.

One of the main problems of music theory is they teach you the same way to do things in just more complicated ways that just confuse people over and over. A lot of the stuff is just something some no name guy thought up and makes mathematical sense but serves no real purpose.

Another problem is between the 7 or so languages theory has been translated to and the billion teachers we have come up with 3 or 4 different words for the same thing and this just confuses the tar out of people who have only been playing anywhere from 1-20 years. It's hard for a lot of people to understand once you spent so much time on the fret board or in front of a keyboard the empty words of theory start making sense and become a way to communicate instead of what a lot of people think. That your going to be using the theory to make music instead of time playing and experiencing the notes and different chord progressions yourself.

You can sit there and read about the I-IV-V chords all day or you can learn a bunch of blues, country, rock and roll, classical and not even know the terms I-IV-V and when you start writing the sounds are just kind of in your head and you know which way the music should go. The more you write the more this stuff comes together.

callasabra likes this.
  16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Here is what is cool about the circle of 5ths. It's the physics!! Think about it. The 5th is a very natural overtone. When people first started singing around the campfire in the cave some of them would not sing in unison but would sing in harmony. The 5th sounds very natural and harmonious. Well guess what? If you keep going up a fifth you eventually generate all 12 tones of the western scale. In other words it is no accident that all of our western instruments are tuned and divided to play what we know as the chromatic scale. It is because these tones all relate to one another via the circle of 5ths. Otherwise we would all sound like some kind of gamelan players. It is also why if you are really, really good at generating harmonics on your guitar string (everyone can get the harmonic at the 12th, 7th, and 5th fret, but if you are really good you can get even more) you could (I think) eventually generate all 12 tones from a single open string.

xafinity likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

18. BigDaddyLH

^^^ Pythagorean comma

klasaine and vintagelove like this.
  19. Leon Grizzard

I thought it was a tear, and that he had been in a prison gang.

klasaine likes this.
  20. Leon Grizzard

I bought a tenor guitar the other day, and I'm learning to play chords on it for Texas Old Time fiddle accompaniment. It is tuned from low to high CGDA. I've been orienting myself to notes on the that low C strong. Being able to pretty much immediately know what the root, third, and fifth of each of the major and minor chords in the usual fiddle keys are, and the chords that are in each key, and correlate that to a chord chart made it possible for me to go to the weekly fiddle jam and proudly say I DID NOT SUCK.

Although I'm not a red hot player, knowing music theory, or fundamentals, as Larry F says, has enriched and informed my playing every day and in every thing I try to learn on guitar. Not everyone's mind works like that. But I think most players would really find it helpful if they would apply themselves a little bit in that direction.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Rustbucket, P Thought and Chris S. like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.