1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CIJ paisley tele - anyone played one

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sir humphrey, Jul 23, 2014.

1. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I've had a hankering for a pink paisley Tele for a while and am currently following a couple on eBay and another website and itching to pull the trigger.

I almost never buy a guitar without playing it first, but pink paisley Teles are as rare as rocking horse **** in the UK so online is my only option.

Anyone played one? CIJ 90s version. What's the neck radius, how are the pickups. Anything to watch out for. Don't want to buy something because it's perty then find I've been sold a pup!

2. Yamaguy

Yamaguy TDPRI Member

It's been a loooong time. Back in '1990 or 1992..
    A good buddy of mine had a Japanese paisley tele.
    One of the finest instruments I've ever picked up- ever

3. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Good to know - keep feeding the GAS ;-)

4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    My two are fine...and consistent

5. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

I've got one of the slightly older MIJ versions and it is one of my favourite guitars ever. I changed the pickups, mainly because I put Seymour Duncans in pretty much any guitar I bought back then without even thinking - I was young(er) and stupid(er). Can't remember what the originals sounded like - I think they might be in one of my other Tele's but couldn't swear to it. Even now, i don't really worry too much about the pickups in any guitar I buy as they are so easy to change if you don't like them.

If you like the feel of late 60's necks you'll love it - not too thin, not too chunky. I actually picked up a flower paisley about the same time (it had already been stripped because the shop couldn't sell it with the original finish) and the neck from that now lives on the walnut Thinline I put together.

I've found that generally you can't go too far wrong with any MIJ or CIJ.

6. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I had a 2008 model when they were imported to Sam Ash stores. I went around and found the lightest one I could I think it was 7.5lbs.

Craftmanship is great on those guitars. The pickups lack as do the electronics. Needed pots and switch upgrades to be on par with my American Fenders. But very nice playing guitars.

The bridges and saddles although are "vintage" styled they aren't as correct as say what's on the US AV RI '69 Thinline.

The paisley pattern is off when compared to the originals. The Tokai and now Allparts bodies are way closer. I was also a bit turned off by the basswood body. Why? Well that never existed when Fender did this so for me it just felt "incorrect."

After I sold that guitar I missed having a paisley. I'm a big James Burton fan so just this last June I had a CF Restorations build me a closer to Burton's guitar than the CIJ Fender.

If I had the option I'd go the Allparts route and have Chad build me one for really not much more than a brand new CIJ.

My old CIJ
    [​IMG]

My new Allparts
    [​IMG]

7. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Tele-Meister

I have one. As usual with Japanese Fenders (and most other brands) craftsmanship is top notch.
    Mine had Seymour Duncan Antiquities and CTS pots when I got it and I've never tried retrofitting the original pickups and electronics but I don't think they are bad at all. I have an "MIJ" Paisley Strat and those pickups were pretty good.
    As for the neck radius all I can say is that it is what I call "unobtrusive". It's a neck I had no problem adjusting to as it has no pronounced features. It's not a "V or something like that. It's neither thin nor fat. It's ordinary in a positive way.
    If you want one and find one at a decent price, I'd say go for it.
    I love mine and all my guitar playing buddies agree that it is a very good guitar, so grab one hen you can.

It's not easy to admit but I think it's better than my 1971 by any account. Better craftsmanship, better playing, lighter and more resonant.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.