CIC Classic Vibe 50s Pinecaster ... how are they, aside from heavy??

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
Recently came across a listing for a 2010 Classic Vibe 50s tele in natural finish.

It's a looker! This seems to be from the edition of pine bodied vintage blackguard inspired models they did.

I know people rate the Crafted in China CVs well. But does anyone have more info / opinion about this particular model?

I know the pine can be pretty heavy... But does it sound the part? Any other considerations vs. other eras of CV 50s?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
In good, original condition they're fine guitars that need no changes or mods to play well and sound good. The butterscotch blonde models have A5 pickups and a brightish twang. The vintage (white) blonde models have A3 pickups with a bit more wind and have a slightly thicker twang. They're routed for a humbucker at the neck and have shielding paint in the body routes. The tuners are almost, but not quite, the equivalent quality of the Ping tuners Fender uses on MIM guitars. Typically, when new, the fit and finish of these guitars is excellent.

If it's a natural finish, yours is either refinished or a different body.

I've got a BSB CV 50s Tele. The original pickups were fine, but I use it as my test guitar for auditioning other pickups. It's got Fender AVRI '62 Custom Telecaster pickups in it now and will get a Cavalier (Rob DiStefano) Firebird pickup at the neck and a Fender CS '51 Nocaster in the bridge.

BTW use the Search box, too. There are a bazillion posts about these guitars and just about any specific question has been answered, here.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Pine isn't always heavy, it is inconsistent in weight, if anything. I have seen CV50s, both MiC and MiI over and under 8lbs. I have several Classic Vibe CV50 Telecasters and each is around 8lbs. That might be heavy to you, but that is my ideal and pretty consistent with other body woods...YMMV :)

20211211_232910895_iOS.jpg

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
Absolutely - in fact the one I came across weighs in at a feathery 7.25 lbs. Don't get much lighter than that, even with prime swamp ash...

Pine isn't always heavy, it is inconsistent in weight, if anything. I have seen CV50s, both MiC and MiI over and under 8lbs. I have several Classic Vibe CV50 Telecasters and each is around 8lbs. That might be heavy to you, but that is my ideal and pretty consistent with other body woods...YMMV :)

View attachment 986202

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
In good, original condition they're fine guitars that need no changes or mods to play well and sound good. The butterscotch blonde models have A5 pickups and a brightish twang. The vintage (white) blonde models have A3 pickups with a bit more wind and have a slightly thicker twang. They're routed for a humbucker at the neck and have shielding paint in the body routes. The tuners are almost, but not quite, the equivalent quality of the Ping tuners Fender uses on MIM guitars. Typically, when new, the fit and finish of these guitars is excellent.

If it's a natural finish, yours is either refinished or a different body.

I've got a BSB CV 50s Tele. The original pickups were fine, but I use it as my test guitar for auditioning other pickups. It's got Fender AVRI '62 Custom Telecaster pickups in it now and will get a Cavalier (Rob DiStefano) Firebird pickup at the neck and a Fender CS '51 Nocaster in the bridge.

BTW use the Search box, too. There are a bazillion posts about these guitars and just about any specific question has been answered, here.
Thanks so much for this reply @archetype really helpful. I did search a bit and didn't find anything this clear!

Just looked up the SN and you're right, the one I came across should have been vintage blonde. Probably refinished but who knows, could be a different body. Seller claims it weighs 7.25 lbs which is pretty light for one of these.

Going for country twang. Sounds like the A3 pickups are more desirable but I'd love to stick '51 nocasters in one too.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Thanks so much for this reply @archetype really helpful. I did search a bit and didn't find anything this clear!

Just looked up the SN and you're right, the one I came across should have been vintage blonde. Probably refinished but who knows, could be a different body. Seller claims it weighs 7.25 lbs which is pretty light for one of these.

Going for country twang. Sounds like the A3 pickups are more desirable but I'd love to stick '51 nocasters in one too.

The pickups that sound right to you (with the height dialed in) are the most desirable ones. ;)

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If you've never played one, and you prefer a thick neck, you may not like it.
I have both 50's and a 60's CIC models, and the neck profile doesn't bother me. It does bug some.
Be prepared to dial the pickup heights in to your taste, then plug in, turn up the volume and enjoy.

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
If you've never played one, and you prefer a thick neck, you may not like it.
I have both 50's and a 60's CIC models, and the neck profile doesn't bother me. It does bug some.
Be prepared to dial the pickup heights in to your taste, then plug in, turn up the volume and enjoy.

It's just a standard modern C, right?

I have a recent MIM Jazzmaster with the modern C. I don't hate it, especially for a JM, but it's not my preference for a tele. I really wish Squier offered at least *some* variation in neck profile on the CVs.

But I haven't found the exact tele neck and model I want to spend bigger on, and I really just want a tele with decent 50s twang to play around on while I shop for THE one. So a CIC CV seems like a decent option if the cost is right?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
It's just a standard modern C, right?

I have a recent MIM Jazzmaster with the modern C. I don't hate it, especially for a JM, but it's not my preference for a tele. I really wish Squier offered at least *some* variation in neck profile on the CVs.

But I haven't found the exact tele neck and model I want to spend bigger on, and I really just want a tele with decent 50s twang to play around on while I shop for THE one. So a CIC CV seems like a decent option if the cost is right?

Yes. Definitely a decent option. You might just keep it even after getting the Tele of your dreams.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Recently came across a listing for a 2010 Classic Vibe 50s tele in natural finish.

It's a looker! This seems to be from the edition of pine bodied vintage blackguard inspired models they did.

I know people rate the Crafted in China CVs well. But does anyone have more info / opinion about this particular model?

I know the pine can be pretty heavy... But does it sound the part? Any other considerations vs. other eras of CV 50s?
Pinewood guitars have a fantastic sound. However, pinewood is soft, so pine guitars dent and ding easily and screw holes tend to strip out after awhile. That's why Leo Fender stopped using pine in the early '50s.

Kungpow!

Tele-Meister
Heres my 2009 or 2010. Its hefty no doubt esp for a tele at least 9 pounds, never weighed it, but it's a great playing and sounding instrument. It has a full, big sound and I think the weight contributes to that. I Have a tele custom classic vibe too from 2015, which weighs exactly 7.5 lbs, and it doesn't have that big sound.

Attachments

• 20210209_154713.jpg
    20210209_154713.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 13

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
The vintage blonde looks like a ‘55 that didn’t have lacquer that yellowed so badly, or a blackguard as if you just bought it before it turned “butterscotch”.

Mine is a 2017. It is a little over 8lbs and I just had to change a few things to get that ‘55 vibe.

0C6D839D-E30B-4148-8E9E-D9A997D6059C.jpeg

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
The pickups that sound right to you (with the height dialed in) are the most desirable ones. ;)

Thanks all, appreciating the encouragement. Wasn't able to snag the one I had my eye on, but will keep hunting.

@archetype (or anyone else) which pickups are 'twangier' (I know, I know, not an easy word to agree on) the A3s in the vintage blonde or the A5s in the BSB?

A lot of the BSB's I've seen in videos do sound a little shrill and sharp on the highs... Can't find many clips of the vintage blonde.

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
Also: what year do the 'original' CIC models stop being made? Are the later China models different spec / less desirable, or is it just the Indonesian models which are different.

(Just spotted a 2018 vintage blonde...)

msalama

Tele-Holic
My '18 CIC is a fine guitar, but its frets are starting to show comparably more wear than my MIM Deluxe's. Both get played equally and a lot, which makes me wonder whether the fretwire on the Squier is indeed softer! Hmmm...

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
My '18 CIC is a fine guitar, but its frets are starting to show comparably more wear than my MIM Deluxe's. Both get played equally and a lot, which makes me wonder whether the fretwire on the Squier is indeed softer! Hmmm...
Would you describe the clean tones as classic twangy telecaster? I'm currently interested in playing country stuff, so looking for that '52 sound...

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Would you describe the clean tones as classic twangy telecaster? I'm currently interested in playing country stuff, so looking for that '52 sound...

What @radiocaster said. From my first post...

The butterscotch blonde models have A5 pickups and a brightish twang. The vintage (white) blonde models have A3 pickups with a bit more wind and have a slightly thicker twang.

Either one is perfect for country sound. Just play and use the tone control to reign in the treble if it's too bright.

BTW there isn't a '52 sound. They settled on alnico 5 mags and 42 gauge wire, finally, but the number of turns and winding tension were inconsistent and each pickup just sounded the way it happened to sound.

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
What @radiocaster said. From my first post...

Either one is perfect for country sound. Just play and use the tone control to reign in the treble if it's too bright.

BTW there isn't a '52 sound. They settled on alnico 5 mags and 42 gauge wire, finally, but the number of turns and winding tension were inconsistent and each pickup just sounded the way it happened to sound.

Great point. I realise I'm referring to the reissue pickup model names more than the original sound ... which doesn't make much sense!

(So hard to find useful shorthands for tone.)

Can you tell me which year they updated the CS line to the current configuration? Was it 2020? And do the current MIC / MII models have the same A3 / A5 split between white and butterscotch, or are all colors the same A5s now?