Church Installs Transporter To Teleport Worship Band Onto Stage During Closing Prayer

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by JuneauMike, Nov 6, 2019.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

(It's been a while since I've posted a Bee item. Let's all get enraged together, yay!)

[​IMG]

ATLANTA, GA—Discovery Church in Atlanta has come up with an innovative way to get the worship band onto the stage during the pastor's closing prayer: a transporter.

Once thought to be the stuff of science fiction, the transporter is now a reality, thanks to the ingenious tech guys at Discovery. The team is always looking for ways to make their services smoother. The worship band has to creep up onstage while the pastor prays, running the risk of the congregation seeing them. But now, they can warp in instantly.

"Beam me up, sound guy," worship leader James Archer said Sunday as he and his team prepared to warp onstage.

"I can do zat!" the sound guy, an immigrant from Russia, said as he prepared to teleport the whole worship band onto the stage while the pastor prayed.

Unfortunately, the transporter's trademark sound alerts the congregation as the worship band warps to their position. The tech guys are still looking for a quieter solution.

GoldieLocks, hotraman and nidgereedo like this.
  2. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

This is why there are movement parts in the old liturgy.... No one was familiar with Star Trek - or even "cut to commercial".....

3. JuneauMike

We do the "join me in a closing prayer" thing. It's never a problem, but it does feel contrived as a fixture of the service. Like saying "ok, everyone close your eyes and look down while the band sneaks up here to pretend like they've just been standing there the whole time."

Jhengsman and mRtINY like this.
  4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

For the last couple of years we all march up after the prayer for a closing song;
    then our pastor gives a benediction.
    After the benediction the band gets to be a bit rowdy with an instrumental reprise
    of the final song.

mRtINY likes this.
  5. nidgereedo

nidgereedo TDPRI Member

Hahaha this is great! Love it.

6. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

That's funny! We don't do that at our church (the band was always in the choir loft, out of sight, anyway) but I can just see that happening and it's cracking me up right now.

7. JuneauMike

Ok, so many churches are trying to put the amplifiers into closets. Your church put the whole band in a closet. Ha.

Kidding.

christhee68 and nidgereedo like this.
  8. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

I like playing from a loft behind the congregation. Not only does it drive the room well, I can dress-down and pick my nose....

9. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

I was raised in a church where you didn't move around and the ushers held the door during prayers and Bible readings. It still feels strange to me, I just have to miss out as part of my service to the church. But it does emphasize that the teaching is seen as the most important part of the service, just like those churches who televise just have their pastor's message on TBN and local syndication

I guess the other model used where the band and singers are seen as leaders is to keep us on stage like many do with Deacons and other staff pastors sitting behind the teaching elder much like the Vice President and Speaker of the House during the State of the Union address. But then you run the risk of a bad visual in reaction to a speaker's point.

10. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I like the transporter thing; it would definitely take care of the creaky floor problem!

11. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

WHAT?!

You mean your churches don't make the musicians march single file up the aisle applying flogging sticks/whips with Ash on your heads and torn monk outfits? Must be nice. I'm all for the teleportation technology. :twisted:

mRtINY likes this.
  12. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.