1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Chunky" or "Fat" Neck Truss Rod?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Phildog, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Phildog

Phildog TDPRI Member

Hey guys, those of you that have built "Fat" or "Chunky" necks for your Strat or Tele, what size truss rod did you use? I would imagine that a chunky neck would also need a larger diameter truss rod. Can a 3/16" truss rod actually adjust a fat neck?

Oh,by the way, when I say "Fat" and "Chunky", the neck I'm referring to is really thick. It's at the shop. It's a "C" profile, but it may be 7/8" at the nut. I love the way it feels in my hand, but it needs a truss rod. I'm thinking I can go to Home Depot and get a length of 1/4" cold-rolled rod, and the other parts I'd need to build a heavy duty truss rod.

2. malred71

malred71 TDPRI Member

My last two guitars both had really fat necks .910 and .925 at the nut. I used std two way truss rods on both. The .925 is a one piece mahogany neck on an acoustic and the .910 is a fender style in flat sawn maple. Both can be adjusted any way I want. The maple one has very little if any tension on the rod. That's with a 25.5 scale length and 10-50 strings and a wound G.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

To answer your question, yes, the standard is 3/16" for single rod truss rods in guitar necks will work in "Fat" necks. Double rods can be bigger due to their construction method. Martin Style rods even bigger.

A single rod should be placed more toward the back of the neck rather than the fretboard to work properly. Most people opt for the Fender neck drawing placement which can be found here and on the net. They make a routing jig to rout the slot at the correct spot.

http://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6&p=18618&hilit=templates#p18618

The problem with going to a larger diameter rod is that the nut will be larger and the weight will be greater.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.