Chuck Prophet

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
Ok. I was late to this party. Night Surfer was my introduction to him and I’ll link a couple videos from that below. But, I don’t really know much of his stuff from before that, so I’m hoping for some guidance on the good stuff to check out. I do have his most recent one and it’s fine but I don’t enjoy it as much as Night Surfer. But I’m missing out on one or two in between. So help me out, let me know what else to check out.

Cheers,
Geoff

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Chuck's solo stuff has never done much for me. And it's a shame, because he's a lovely guy.

But back in the Green on Red days . . . incredible.

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
I see allmusic gives nine of his records four stars or more. That’s a lotta good records I don’t know.

Cheers,
Geoff

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
Love Chuck’s solo stuff (“Leave The Window Open” gets me every time) but I can’t stop listening to Green On Red’s Gas/Food/Lodging LP. “Black River” man! What a song. That guy can’t write a bad song.

RomanS

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been a huge fan of Green On Red since my teens in the '80s, have even seen them on their single reunion tour, I guess about a decade ago...
I've seen Chuck Prophet live quite a few times, and he is a GREAT live performer, awesome guitar player, great stage presence, funny banter with the audience.
Unfortunately, most of his solo albums aren't up to the live experience - the songwriting and playing is great, but he tends to go for too much production gimmick stuff, too slick, too "pop".
Consequently, my favorite solo album of his "Let Freedom Ring", which was produced in a 1960s style recording studio in Mexico City.

Also, check out some of the umpteen live versions of the song "You Did" on YouTube, that's always one of the highlight of his gigs, where he pulls out all the stops, guitar soloin-wise...

EDIT: Just noticed other people on the thread love that song, too... ;)

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I cannot start my summer every year without hearing Chuck's song, "Summertime Thing". I play it regularly all summer long - but most all of his stuff is good.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
He first impressed me back in 1985 or so when he played in Green on Red.

I was expecting more, from Green on Red, than they delivered (at least to me) and that's why I was slow in catching on to Chuck. Many thanks to the guys here at TDPRI who woke me up in various posts about him (some that pre-dated my membership, I was just lurking then).