Chronic pain for musicians

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
I've been a guitar player since 1977. I feel every year of my career these days. Last month our band played a 2 night fundraiser. Night 1 we played a one hour (+) tribute to Led Zeppelin. On night 2, we played an hour and a half tribute to The Who.

In the 80s, 90s, and 00s I could play this material with relative ease. These days it takes motrin/ibuprofin to loosen the rusty hinges AKA my knuckles. I also stay well hydrated and try to get enough sleep. I'm happy to say I can still pull it off, but without the anti-inflammatories and plenty of water, I doubt I could do it. Things sure have changed since my younger days!

Here's a pic from each night. I'm the guy on the right with the Les Paul.
IMG-6428 (2).jpg
IMG-6436.jpg

ellielo

TDPRI Member
My mother is law is a successful saxophone player for years. Even her job seems to be like dream for someone, she is always very and very tired after every single concert. She've been a client of online pharmacy for a long time, taking different meds almost every day. She gives all her energy to the people who come to enjoy the music and doesn't have much left for herself.

Last edited:

Masmus

Tele-Holic
i have wondered if Prince's and other's death's were related to this. You have real pain in your hands and the work you love and your livelyhood becomes impossible to continue the way it was before so you start taking Vicodin and when you get to the point you can't get a new prescription you turn to the street. Mix in Fentanyl that you don't know is there and you're done.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
i have wondered if Prince's and other's death's were related to this. You have real pain in your hands and the work you love and your livelyhood becomes impossible to continue the way it was before so you start taking Vicodin and when you get to the point you can't get a new prescription you turn to the street. Mix in Fentanyl that you don't know is there and you're done.

... and then Gene Simmons lectures you posthumously about successful people never using drugs or alcohol.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I've been a guitar player since 1977. I feel every year of my career these days. Last month our band played a 2 night fundraiser. Night 1 we played a one hour (+) tribute to Led Zeppelin. On night 2, we played an hour and a half tribute to The Who.

In the 80s, 90s, and 00s I could play this material with relative ease. These days it takes motrin/ibuprofin to loosen the rusty hinges AKA my knuckles. I also stay well hydrated and try to get enough sleep. I'm happy to say I can still pull it off, but without the anti-inflammatories and plenty of water, I doubt I could do it. Things sure have changed since my younger days!

Here's a pic from each night. I'm the guy on the right with the Les Paul. View attachment 925727 View attachment 925728

That day 2 pic... Is that a Studio? I can't see any binding in that light, hence the question. What year?

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Whoa.

I had noticed a lot of guitar players play in weird postures. I even catch myself in some crazy, contorted posture when I'm playing sometimes. Being that I'm still new to this and already have physical issues, I probably need to pay more attention to what I'm doing and not doing.

Thanks for sharing this.

Me too. I tend to stand with most of my weight on my left leg. I have to concentrate to re-balance but when I'm concentrating on playing I lapse back. My chiropractor sorts me out but has warned of likely long term problems. Though I'm 67, I've only been playing regularly (once a week), for a couple of years. Hasn't really caught up with me yet, hope I can change the habit before it gives rise to 24/7 discomfort.

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
That day 2 pic... Is that a Studio? I can't see any binding in that light, hence the question. What year?

As I didn't check which photo I posted first, I'll give you a little blurb about both.

If you're referring to the gold top, I hate to disappoint you. Its a 2005 Korean made Epiphone. It has a great neck and fretwork, best I've ever seen on a budget guitar. I gutted it completely and re-wired it with high quality pots, switches and pups. It roars like a lion! Ironically, no one in the audience realized it was an Epi. After our set I was approached by several musicians with questions about it!

I'm not a gear snob. A great guitar is a great guitar regardless of the brand.

The black Les Paul is a 1979 standard. It was my first "professional" quality instrument. I bought it 3rd hand in 1985. It has seen hundreds of gigs.

Thanks for asking, I appreciate it!

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Having a bar stool close by can help a lot even if you just sit for 30 seconds. Nothing says you have to stand the entire time. I have played competitive tennis my entire life. If you get chance to sit, take it. You will last longer and feel better. Standing in one place for long periods is hell. I have also worked my share of of trade shows and our company said "no chairs, it looks bad"...All I can say is that, nothing looks as bad as I do when I get uncomfortable. Not mention my personality.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I've had hyperacusis (the hearing disorder Laura Ballance of Superchunk has) since 1995. It prevented me from playing music for 22 years. I just started playing again in 2018. I play 100% clean, and very quiet. It's the only way my ears can handle it.

Now, it's three years in to playing again, and I have nerve pain in my strumming arm and what I think is tennis elbow in both arms. Playing music again after so much time off has opened my heart back up, I love it so much, and I worry about having to give it up again.

I make my living as a visual artist, so the threat of chronic arm, wrist, and hand pain is especially frightening.