Chronic over-sharers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toadtele, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I’ll admit I’m probably more private than necessary. Just my way. I understand some people like to talk and share. I think social media is a good outlet for that even though I couldn’t imagine putting anything remotely private out there. I don’t do Facebook or anything like that but I’m aware some people put their whole life bio on it. That’s fine. I don’t have to read it.
    I met with an inspector today to see about getting a draw from an insurance company on a fire rebuild I’m contracted to do. Lovely young woman. I was with her for 15 minutes and I know more than I ever ever should about this chick. Relationships, health, finances.
    I don’t get it! But I listened well and she okayed my draw.

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Now thanks to you sharing we all know about it

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Good point

Boubou and Jakedog like this.
  4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

They're easier to deal with than the folks with a million questions about your own life. You want to be pleasant and polite with them, but you also want them out yo' bizness.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a couple friends like this. I try to be understanding because I myself have been accused of chronically over sharing. I’m just not that private. Sure, I have plenty of stuff I keep to myself. But I’ve never really seen the point of taking it overboard. I feel like I don’t really have anything to hide, and if I’m gonna spend time around people, they may as well actually KNOW me.

However... some people do tend to take it too far. Many of my closest friends are women, and I know more about a couple of them than anybody who’s not married to them should. But that’s my fault I guess for having a reputation of being a person that will never, ever, spill their business. For any reason. Many people don’t have that kind of outlet. I feel like everybody should have at least one friend like that. Nobody should have to carry everything alone.

But to just spill anything and everything to a total stranger? Nah. That’s weird.

I have occasionally bounced something off a stranger. Not disclosing particulars, just a situation. Sometimes it can be helpful to get the perspective of somebody who’s totally outside the problem, and who also isn’t biased by knowing me already.

telemnemonics and stnmtthw like this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

when a person discloses information of a personal nature I do not repeat it.
    when speaking I try to remember these simple guidelines:
    1.) is it true?
    2.) is it necessary?
    3.) is it kind?

when you speak to me disclosing personal information your trust the the disclosure is made inside of is sacred ,not to be repeated by me.

sometimes, loosely referred to as Right Speech

7. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I hear ya man. I was in middle management for a couple decades...I found out the hard way that employees tend to overshare by default. I knew far too much about personal stuff that was none of my business.
    My wife is like Barbara Walters and finds out more from an airline passenger on a two hour flight than I would divulge at gunpoint.

LutherBurger and nojazzhere like this.
  8. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I'd be happy if any lovely young woman wanted to overshare with me.

9. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I’m even more disturbed when I’m sitting in a waiting room or something and listening to someone disclose excruciatingly private information, by name or other identifying information, right on down to the sub-atomic particle level, about somebody who isn’t even there to object or defend themselves.

When people ask me personal questions that I feel cross the line, I feel morally justified in giving them any old answer that pops into my head. There may well be people out there reminiscing to their friends about the time that they met the Archbishop of Canterbury and he was wearing a cowboy hat and boots and vacationing at a nearby dude ranch, I don’t know.

Not my fault. Don’t ask me overly intrusive questions, and I won’t tell you things like that.

10. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I tend to not trust people who are not at least moderately circumspect. I often find those who offer TMI to be manipulative and self-centered.

8barlouie and MarkieMark like this.
  11. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I don't share contemporary personal events in my limited electronic circles or even with hard-copy colleagues although I'll happily fess up to past experiences. I don't mind telling them against myself. :)
    What I really dislike are man hugs; they're the same as those fashionable celebrity faux air kisses as far as I'm concerned.
    Handshake or nothing for me, thank you very much. Woman hugs are a different ball game of course.

Steerforth and Toadtele like this.
  12. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

My company is very huggy. We have to hug. Seriously

13. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hugs are nice when both people agree on them. Any time I hear someone blurt out "I'm a hugger!" I expect, and dread, extraneous body contact. Ugh.

skitched and Steerforth like this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't become a musician.

skitched likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

With the anonymity of the interwebnet?.....that's one thing. Face to face with a total stranger?....NAH!

16. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I have nothing to add.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  17. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

I dont care About it Either way. People are what they are. Just let them be. We have our share of stuff too. Everybody stinks at some point and from the right distance.

My personal approach is to listen kindly if someone wants to talk to me, sometimes even if the person has some mental Kung fu going on slightly between the lines and the looks...part of human nature. I skip all of that and just listen. Recently I started in a new workplace, same job but different building, and although I’m willing to be social to a certain extent, I won’t share anything of my life. From past experiences I learned that people will exploit this knowledge on the first opportunity. I don’t like playing social vampire. I just go there to earn an honest living, and when the clock hits the time I split as fast as I can.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Toadtele likes this.
  18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

“I am privy to the secret griefs of wild, unknown men. Most of the confidences were unsought—frequently I have feigned sleep, preoccupation or a hostile levity when I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was lurking on the horizon.”

Nick Carraway had this thought in The Great Gatsby. I have often thought that people seem to want to confide in me, whether they thought I would keep their secret safe or because they thought I would spread it around.

Toadtele and GuitarKid like this.
  19. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We are social creatures and I don;'t see any great advantage to keeping things private- but I still do. Heck this and every other forum demands a certain amount of sharing

GuitarKid likes this.
  20. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I woke up late for my 'procrastinator's anonymous' meeting, took my herpes medicine, and signed my divorce papers.

I fed my illegitimate twins before I went to find a bottle to drain.

Hope I'm not oversharing.

BobbyZ, tery, bender66 and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.