1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chrome vs Nickel, help me decide!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by etype, Jul 10, 2019.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

My son has been playing an old PRS SE model (borrowed from Dad!) and as he is continuing to play, he'd like his own for his birthday.

Of course, here is the one he likes the look of (sorry, I cannot link the Sweetwater pic directly and cannot find pics of this model elsewhere):
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...assic-alder-natural-with-rosewood-fingerboard

He also likes my Cabronita and so we are building a Cabronita inspired by that Friedman guitar. Ash Cabronita body on the way from Warmoth.

Well, I have two chrome Fender Fidelitron pickups. Nickel would probably be a better option for that more raw look.

Option 1: Baja 60s neck with the chrome tuners it came with (if I can find one) and go chrome for all the hardware. This neck is similar in shape to my Cabronita, which he likes.

Option 2: Allparts neck with nickel Gotoh vintage tuners and then get nickel covers for the Fidelitrons (they are like $25 for a pair) and hope the Filterton covers fit the Fidelitrons. This neck is similar in shape to my PRS, which he also likes.

Option 3: suggestions welcome!

2. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I like nickel better than chrome, but whichever all the metals should match IMHO.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Age the chrome to meet the look your going for. Sounds like a great project!

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Aging chrome?

Frodebro likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Get chrome or go mismatched for that homemade looks :) It's not worth cutting out the Fidelitron hoping the generic stuff will fit. It sucks, trust me.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Chrome always looks cheesy to me. But I would rather have a Fender neck than roll the dice on the Allparts.

7. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

etype likes this.
  8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Or pretend it's a transition era Gibson. They sold quite a few mix in match guitars in the 60's.

etype likes this.
  9. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nickel, nickel, nickel.... or nickel. IMOP, classier and actually ages/wears with use. Chrome can scab up and fall off and steel... Nickel.

10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I much prefer nickel both new and when it’s aged a bit!

8trackmind and etype like this.
  11. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

nickel will age better. Chrome will pit and flake over the years.

etype likes this.
  12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

appearance is purely subjective.. get whichever you prefer... or which ever matches most of the other hardware.... but Chrome is the most durable.. Nickel will corrode when exposed to perspiration, assuming a hazy appearance over time..

and there never was an all nickel tele... except as per pure chance... back then Leo ordered whatever, allowing the supplier to supply either chrome or nickel as he was setup for at the moment.. and as the guitars were being assembled, they just placed ALL the parts in separate boxes, the assembler would just reach in and grab whatever they touched first.. This is why the serial numbers are not perfectly sequential either..

so a guitar with both Chrome and Nickel would still be correct..

rk

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like nickel but probably wouldn't go to the trouble of changing the pickup covers to match the hardware. If I was ordering new pickups I would get nickel.

etype likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Nickel looks the best IMO, but as @Ronkirn mentions, it takes more maintenance for nickel to stay clean and shiny.

etype likes this.
  15. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

If there isn't a difference in tone it really doesn't matter ...

etype likes this.
  16. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you are in to relicing, nickel is the way to go. A soak in vinegar for a day or two will tarnish it nicely and give it an aged appearance. Chrome doesn't age, though it might flake off. Nickel is slight bit yellowish looking but warmer tint. While Chrome is a slight bit bluish and less warmer.

You pays your money and you takes your choices!

etype likes this.
  17. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I have read so much about aging chrome (and watched several youtube videos) and which nickel seems to get an attractive patina with a little acidic fumes, chrome tends to be pretty unpredictable. And to age the Fidelitrons, I'd still have to remove the chrome covers, at which point replacing them with nickel covers is easier.

DrASATele likes this.
  18. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't skip the Fidelitrons, but just switch out the covers.

19. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I think I have read somewhere at TDPRI that Allparts are used by some pretty high quality builders. It's the heel trussrod access I am not liking.

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, not saying Allparts are bad, but a bit unpredictable in feel and etc. I even had to carve one once to fit a Fender body. It was wider than the standard neck rout. But I assume that was an early Allparts neck. Fender necks (if you know the model) are consistent and reliable.

etype likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.