Chrome covers for Modern Player P90s - will they alter the sound?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by VerySlowHand, Dec 26, 2016.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I just bought a Modern Player Thinline with P90s. The only thing I'm going to consider changing - purely cosmetic - is the black plastic pickup covers (I have the sunburst with parchment pickguard).
    • Will fitting chrome plated nickel covers alter the sound?
    • If 'yes' please expand.
    I could get chrome coloured plastic ones, but if I'm stuck with plastic I'd rather go for ivory, rather than have pretend metal ones.

Thanks!

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The metal covers will reduce noise, especially if you sit near computer equipment, CFL lightbulbs and so on for recording clean.
    If you shielded all your guitar cavities you will notice it more with/without covers. But check you have a shielded cable from the control cavity to the output jack rather than the usual 'two conductor' as that is a big source of noise on its own (otherwise we'd use plain two wires from the jack to the amp).

Do a search on 'Antigua' user in the forum for analysis of cover materials. Some covers are better than others, some covers darken your pickup a lot, and it's a gamble or an opportunity to experiment. If you have covers that darken the pickup you can swap volume pot for higher kohm measured values and capacitors to brighten the circuit up to compensate for the covers.

I'd suggest getting the cream covers and use aluminum shielding tape on the inside of them to cut noise.

3. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

This is probably best said with a YMMV because we all hear differently and play different guitars and amps but in general any metal cover will impact the pickups tonality with some metals more than others.

Actually the plastic chromed ones should impact tone the least followed by high quality nickel silver covers. Brass or other metals will impact tonality the most. So take that for what it's worth when you decide.

5. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Thanks guys. The guitar is so quiet you'd think the pups were humbuckers - so that's not an issue. The beauty of a simple mod like this is that it's fairly inexpensive and easily reversible. There's a place in Germany that has chrome plated nickel covers, for about $20.00 each.

'Safe' options, sound-wise (and aesthetically) are to grow to like black on parchment, buy some ivory pickup covers, or buy a three-ply black pickguard (4-6 weeks lead time). Option one costs nothing. Option 2 about $15.00 and Option 3 close to $50.00.

I'm glad that these trivial things are all I can think of to do with this guitar... relatively inconsequential tinkering during the winter months.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

7. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

There's a guy on here that has done exactly that - put chrome covers on his P90 modern player tele. Don't think I made any difference sound wise. I kept the black plastic, but changed the scratchplate to black. It looks awesome. These are very under rated guitars, they sound brilliant, look brilliant, and play brilliant.

VerySlowHand likes this.
  8. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Just confirming what has already been said. I have first-hand experience of the effect of chrome-plated brass covers on a set of SD Jazz. They killed the top end., I would never use that type of full cover on anything, ever, again.

awasson likes this.
  9. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

diff'rent, but in the same exact vein - this is why i gave up on those "vintage" chromed brass tele neck covers in favor of thin nickel-silver covers ... most folks don't need their tele to do double duty as a bass guitar. :lol:

10. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I might do that too, but where did you get the black pickguard? The only place in the UK I can find is WD Music and it's a 4-5 week wait for custom cutting.

I agree with the other bit - I'm not an expert, but I prefer mine, in almost every single way, to every Tele I've ever had - which includes a '52 Reissue, a Classic 60s and a Baja.

Kojoflo likes this.
  11. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

I did get it from an ebay supplier in the US, I thought it was WD music, I'll check and get back to you. It was only a 2 week turn around and that was over Christmas last year. The only pain in the arse was they sent it US mail, which meant I had to pay £12 duty on it. I think overall the scratchplate cost £35. It's worth it because at the end of the day, that is just too much white, and it does make it look very cool.

You know what, I also prefer it over the Baja that I had and subsequently sold because I felt the thinline outperformed it on every level. It's also turned into my number 1 songwriting guitar, as it speaks to me, unlike my much more expensive Les paul. I'd wanted a thinline, not sure why, but I did. I tried the fender 72, and the squier, and tried out the modern player as a means just to tell me how good the 72 was, because frankly I really wasn't feeling it. But this cheap white luminous thing utterly blew me away. It had such great sustain, and a totally different sound to all my other guitars. Some people on here complain that the pick ups are too dark and that you have to change the pots, but to my ears it's perfect, and scratchplate apart, I wouldn't change a thing

VerySlowHand likes this.
  12. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

Yes it's WD music, $35 for the scratchplate. Product code TEMP 2503

13. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Thanks buddy. After seeing this one I'm actually growing to like the parchment pickguard... getting used to the goofyness. It's the contrast between the black pup covers and the parchment that I'm still not sure about. Think I'll start with nickel covers and see what happens.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.