Christmas television programming rant

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I had TV on most of the time and never watched stupid re runs of any xmas stuff.... or any scripted dramas..

Oh, it was on there... but I skillfully channel surfed to find watchable content.. on free to air...

while surfing online, as well...

I never let any channel run on to the next show without checking the guide for a better program...

Though a little unusual for us, we have let the folks out there in TV wasteland celebrate Christmas in their own way while we did the same. Somewhere right now, Tom Cruise is beating up twelve 200lb guys a foot taller than he is (barefooted) and telling them he's got more where that came from. Did you know that Tom Cruise once beat up Chuck Norris in his prime, with one hand tied behind his back? Chuck got down on his knees and begged Tom to keep quiet about it. No one ever accused Tom of not being a gentleman, (well maybe Colonel Jessep) but hardly anyone else, and Tom has remained silent, for the most part, except for telling ME.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Now today's TV is a different story..

we have on free to air.... Australia V England in a big cricket game and the start/first hour of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race... that'll keep the TV away from all that other stuff...:rolleyes::D

we're back outside today.... ;)

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Covid cut into content-production for two years, so every service and network is low on content. Of course, nobody's dripped their prices to reflect the absence of new material, so it's a bad deal for consumers. I blame the providers and networks for the absence of much quality programming, but I blame the audience, too. It's pathetic to see the real garbage people choose to watch. No point complaining about culture -- people are what they are, and they get what they want. Disney remakes the same move 10 times each year and parents take their kids to all 10, and buy the toys.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
My wife has the Hallmark channel on now. It’s really the same movie over and over again. Middle age chick, kids in tow, finds a guy to be a fashion accessory. Like a new handbag she can show off to her friends. He’s too stupid to leave so she gets mad anyway and drags him around by the short hairs until he gives up and does it her way.

There must be a Hallmark acting school where the women learn to whine, smile, and drink white wine at the same time and the men learn to pretend it’s no big deal when they cut ‘em off way up high.

Babylon Bee article about a clairvoyant man. He has the amazing ability to correctly guess what will happen next in the Hallmark Movie his wife is watching.

https://babylonbee.com/news/amazing...what-will-happen-next-in-wifes-hallmark-movie

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I shoveled the decks and walkways, loaded up the wood boxes and then went for a nice snow shoe hike in the sun after many 4” snow days in a row and then my wife and I cooked a huge traditional Xmas ham dinner for just the two of us this year. Just shut downed the wood cookstove and just lit the main heat stove, finishing up the bottle of wine. We are resting for a bit before the barrage of Christmas phone calls from family and friends in four states that will entertain us most of the evening. My wife or I will play a bit of guitar during the lulls. I got her a super duper macro lens for her camera, so she is taking pics of the tiniest things that she can find around the house.o_O:lol:

We baked a pumpkin pie, so along with some whip cream, we will be sufficiently sugared up for the phone calls.:rolleyes:

Oh, you guys are watching TV? o_O:confused::eek:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Babylon Bee article about a clairvoyant man. He has the amazing ability to correctly guess what will happen next in the Hallmark Movie his wife is watching.

https://babylonbee.com/news/amazing...what-will-happen-next-in-wifes-hallmark-movie
Hysterical. My problem is that I can’t watch more than 10 minutes of Hallmark without feeling my stomach in my throat. Even thirty somethings who look like sorority girls all growed up can’t hold my attention. But thanks anyway for the link.

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
I fall in love at least once an hour when MSNBC is on. It’s TV news. What amazes me though is where MSNBC finds beautiful young women who are smart, poised, and well spoken

Some programmer had to have been watching old Cliffy on Cheers fall in love with the weather woman episode.

They must’ve said hey we could really run with this.
Edit- If my memory is right about the cheers..

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I am so tired of Christmas carol shows. At least it gives musicians , strings etc. some employment
Too much cricket and a Yacht race Downunder to keep our minds off real problems..

m0b1liz3

TDPRI Member
I am so tired of Christmas carol shows. At least it gives musicians , strings etc. some employment

If you are in Aus, did you see any of the Royal Christmas Carol show? I couldn't believe how rubbish it was. It had 70s disco music and trannies at the start, then later had shirtless male acrobats. It seemed insane that they were promoting this as a Christmas show. I don't care what people do in their own homes but this current trend of trying to put a spotlight on gender related nonsense in every show needs to stop. I lasted through about 15min of it. Apparently it got a little better later on.

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
I was watching this movie at midnight last night and it turned out to be a Christmas movie - a refreshing surprise. A little off the "It's a Wonderful Life" path.

v71435wiu7q.jpg

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
When Mrs. 39 Martin starts watching Sappy Xmas Movies, I go upstairs, turn on a football game, and put lyrics in my Band In A Box backing tracks. With over 450 songs to do, I guess I need to send Hallmark, Lifetime, GAC, et al, a big thank you for making me concentrate on this HUGE project. I'm about 50% finished, without those &^$*&^ movies, I might be 25-30% done.:confused:

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
You were more informed then without the added leaning of the current news.

I’m tired of events being interpreted for me. I’m tired of pundits telling me what this means for my future. I’m tired of suggestions on how I should feel about anything.

it seems that most major news networks in America have an agenda. It’s just the degree of it that varies. Some are bold and obtuse whereas others are more subdued. But I don’t think isolation is the answer. Instead I try to be a careful curator. And that’s more work than it used to be with ole Walter Cronkite.

Last edited:

zimbo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I like just the plain vanilla Law and Order I can't get enough of them. Perfect formula, find dead body, investigate, trial. You know what you're in for, perfect for actual watching, or snoozing. Probably seen it a dozen times anyway.

Law and Order is kind of like comfort food. All the Dick Wolf shows have a certain cadence that you now it's Law and Order. It's all pretty predictable.
Still I think Mikey got a bad deal if you know what I'm talking about.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Law and Order is kind of like comfort food. All the Dick Wolf shows have a certain cadence that you now it's Law and Order. It's all pretty predictable.
Still I think Mikey got a bad deal if you know what I'm talking about.

Yes I do, and I agree!

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I'm a huge fan of The Birds fans-
still madly in love with both Tippy Hedren and Suzanne Pleshette
Stayed at an air-bnb this summer in Bodega Bay. House had "Birds" posters and memorabilia in every room, but was lacking a copy of the movie in the DVD collection. Maybe people keep stealing it? Went to the "Birds" cafe. Overpriced batter fried food. Actually the entire town is not much more than a tourist-decorated bend in the road, but it's well placed for day trips and the hike around Bodega Head is really nice. The long beach and dunes are also really something, I got lost a few times walking in the dunes.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Stayed at an air-bnb this summer in Bodega Bay. House had "Birds" posters and memorabilia in every room, but was lacking a copy of the movie in the DVD collection. Maybe people keep stealing it? Went to the "Birds" cafe. Overpriced batter fried food. Actually the entire town is not much more than a tourist-decorated bend in the road, but it's well placed for day trips and the hike around Bodega Head is really nice. The long beach and dunes are also really something, I got lost a few times walking in the dunes.
I can't afford to travel across the street ( I'm in VA), but going to Bodega Bay ( and the Diner, schoolhouse, Gas station- if they exist) would be on my Bucket List

* I just LOVE the colors/ light darkness in The Birds, and all Hitchcock's movies.
They are ' characters' !