Christmas in May this week.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, May 19, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got way too bored sitting around the house for the last two months. So it’s gear merry-go-round time.

I sold a drum set and a guitar yesterday. Both cheap but fully functional. Neither one ever got used. They basically just collected dust the last couple of years. Raised a chunk of free money. So I raided the Sweetwater website.

1. Ordered a case for my gigging acoustic because I bought it two years ago and never got around to getting one. I’ve just been making it share with my recording guitar.

2. Ordered an ext cab for my Marshall Origin 20 combo. Just because it’ll be fun! I also have an 18 watt head that’s been sitting on a shelf so long I actually kinda forgot I had it. So I can use it with that too.

3. Ordered a nice acoustic preamp. BBE Acoustimax. Because my gig acoustic has a passive pickup. I’ve been using the clean boost in my Nova System with it. But this will be way cooler.

4. Ordered up an EHX “Tone Corset” compressor. Cause I wanted one. It intrigued me. I was looking at the CS3 and the Dyna Comp (I’ve owned both several times) and it popped up. I like the idea of the blend knob, and the YouTube demo sounded good enough to justify giving it an audition.

Then some odds and ends. Couple cables and stuff. Anyhow, should be a lot of fun come Thursday!

2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Merry Christmas Jakedog !

tah1962 and Jakedog like this.
  3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

WAAT!? You're gonna pay for this! o_O

Jakedog and tah1962 like this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

there's EASIER ways to get candy, m'friend. . .;)

Happy get-stuff day

Peace - Deeve

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow. I guess those stimulus checks can buy a lot these days.;) A great way not to lose your marbles though. Enjoy and hope it inspires some new songs for you.

Toto'sDad and Jakedog like this.
  7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

to everything there is a season

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Jakedog

Like I said, free money. I was sitting in my basement playing guitar and thinking about stuff I’d like to have, then I looked at the money I had tied up in a couple things I hadn’t really touched in a couple years. So I hopped on my Facebook page and said “anybody want this stuff?” and a few minutes later it was spoken for. Collected the cash yesterday morning, handed it to the wife to deposit, and ordered some new toys!

stormsedge and Obsessed like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My daughter bought a new home a few years ago, one of the first in the tract. Then they built another new home next door to her house. The owners as soon as they moved in bought one of those old land yacht Cadillacs and parked it prominently in their driveway. Then, the couple filed for a divorce, the man who was going to restore the car moved out, the wife who remained ignored the car. THEN one glorious day, a fellow who had his eye on the beast got a stimulus check, and knew just where to spend it, he bought the beast! My daughter called me when the tow truck arrived to pick up the car, and said glory be to stimulus checks! :lol:

Obsessed, stormsedge and Jakedog like this.
  10. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I recently got the Radial Stage Bug active (phantom) DI for my acoustic. It's one of the best purchases I've made in years. Coming from a passive DI to this one, huge difference. On my PA channel, turned the gain Off, or down to 0, then cut the main volume slider by 2/3s. It's awesome.

Let us know what you think of the Tone Corset. I used a CS3 for years, then on a whim got the Keeley Compressor + (it has a blend knob). I like it better than the CS3, but it's still missing something.
    I'm looking at getting Wampler's Ego Compressor (I recently got their Paisley drive and just love it), but I can't pull the trigger until we get back to giging.

Googeled the BBE Acoustimax, wow! That looks awesome. Love the knurled Tele knobs! It has a Sonic Maximizer built right in! It also looks kind a complicated. Let us know how it works for you too. It looks like a lot of pedal for the price, compared to ToneBone kind of stuff.

Jakedog likes this.
  11. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Congrats man. Hopefully you still have at least 1 drum kit? I wanted a kit for years and after I got one I realized they were just as much fun as I had suspected all along, lol. I'd have a hard time going back to not owning one.

Yanno the way things might be opening back up, I could see acoustic guitar playing initially making up a higher percentage of the musical opportunities than it used to be. It'll be interesting to see how you like that BBE preamp. I added one in front of my Huss and Dalton a few years ago and was pretty impressed that it made a great sounding acoustic guitar sound even better.

What kind of acoustic case did ya go with?

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Jakedog

I looked at a radial, for the same price as the BBE. I love their stuff, but it didn’t give me nearly the features. My acoustic has a passive pickup with no onboard controls. I kinda liked the control offered by the BBE. All the EQ, separate gain and level, etc.

When I use my own PA I can always dial in what I like. When I’m at a festival or a big venue on a bill with multiple artists I don’t always get a lot of time for a good sound check or to get what I want. I think the tone shaping available on the BBE will be a huge asset.

I’ll definitely fill y’all in on the compressor. I’d never heard of it. It just popped up when I was looking at other stuff. The demos sound good enough that I had to give it a shot!

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  13. Jakedog

I only had the one drum kit, but seriously, I haven’t touched it in nearly two years. I really got it more for one of my kids, but she lost interest in a hurry. Hasn’t gone near it since we got a piano, and that’s been more than a year ago now. All they did was take up space and collect dust.

As far as acoustic gigs, they make up about half of my work. I typically do around 100 or more acoustic gigs a year.

I ordered the Gator Transit Series gig bag. I’ve been using them for my electrics for a little over a year now and I’ve been super impressed with them. They aren’t Reunion Blues level bags, but for barely over $100 they’re a real winner. They’re probably 3/4 of the case a reunion Blues is, and they’re only 1/3 the price. That’s a no brainer to me.

Bergy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.