Christmas Guitar

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This is the guitar that I got for Christmas, I never got around to posting about it . It's the only musical item that I had mentioned and Mrs. Bones made it happen. It's a Bad Cat "AC-230", sort of a Dan Armstrong copy. Always liked the look of the D.A.s and clear acrylic guitars in general but also saw them as sort of a novelty and knew that they were really heavy as well.

Anyway, it's a pretty cool guitar though it's one of those things that if I plug it into an amp that I was playing something else through, it takes a bit of knobbing around to get a good tone out of it.

Surprisingly, although it was out of tune on arrival(didn't really expect it to be in tune after traveling from China), it was perfectly intonated and the frets had been nicely leveled, not so nice was the fretboard was covered with metal dust from the leveling. Fretboard was also pretty dry, again nothing surprising.

The tuners are "meh" , they do the job, but they don't feel that great. The strings which were counterfeit D'Addarios had to come off immediately, they were horrible. I also changed the cheap plastic chrome dome knobs to a more suitable aluminum "radio" type set and finally the bridge posts had way too much slop in them and it was causing the bridge to lift from the back. I found a tighter set in my parts drawer and now the bridge sits level. Pots and switch are fine and operate with no unwanted noise. The pickup in unremarkable in every way and eventually I will experiment with some spares that I have to see if they would be an improvement.

Overall, it scratches the acrylic guitar itch at a affordable price and it is fun to play
1227211214b_HDR_resized.jpg

1227211217_HDR_resized.jpg

1227211217c_HDR_resized.jpg

1227211558_HDR_resized.jpg
0119221353_resized.jpg
0119221353a_resized.jpg
0119221353b_resized.jpg

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I had an Ampeg DA in the 80s. Yeah, they are heavy.

With the exception of the non-swappable pickups and bridge, that looks like a dead nuts recreation of the original. The visuals are spot on.

The only guys that played 'em onstage with any regularity were Keith Richards and Greg Ginn of Black Flag. Thay were popular in music videos for their striking see-thru appearance.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Neato! I remember seeing an old video clip with, I believe, Keith Richards? back in the late 60's and he was showing his off to Jimi Hendrix back stage. Maybe someone knows the vid I'm talking about? Anyway, Really cool guitar man! Pretty!

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member

With the exception of the non-swappable pickups and bridge, that looks like a dead nuts recreation of the original. The visuals are spot on.

The only guys that played 'em onstage with any regularity were Keith Richards and Greg Ginn of Black Flag. Thay were popular in music videos for their striking see-thru appearance.
Joe Perry of Aerosmith plays one for slide on songs like "Draw The Line", that's how I got the bug..
J.Perry_1.png

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Never knew Bad Cat had a line of guitars.
Cool and one of the iconic guitars I always wanted but didn't get, had some chances when the originals were affordable and not really even cool.
Veeerrrryyyy heavy IIRC?

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Never knew Bad Cat had a line of guitars.
Cool and one of the iconic guitars I always wanted but didn't get, had some chances when the originals were affordable and not really even cool.
Veeerrrryyyy heavy IIRC?
It is heavy.

I do not believe there's any connection between Bad Cat Amps and Bad Cat Instruments, these are inexpensive MIC guitars, available through Amazon.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I don't really know this guy or his videos, but his experience is pretty similar to mine though his fretboard wasn't dirty and I do not mind the neck finish at all.

runstendt

Tele-Meister
I’ve been thinking about getting one myself, but I was concerned about the weight. I really don’t want to be “that guy”, but do you know how much it weighs?

Crafty Fox

Tele-Afflicted

I saw Steppenwolf play at the 1970 Bath Festival in England and one of their guitarists played a Dan Armstrong. I thought it looked incredibly cool!
By coincidence, I recently bought a little Epiphone Jnr amp here in Perth and the owner wheeled out a few beauties including an original DA (it still had a replacement pickup in the case) and also a Gibson Trini Lopez, the 335ish version. Both in immaculate condition.