1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Christian Country Music

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by westex93, Jan 15, 2012.

1. westex93

westex93 Tele-Meister

I know a lot of this forum is geared toward a contemporary worship style, but nothing goes together like Tele and Country, so......any love here for Christian Country Music? This is a genre that is still largely unknown but growing across the country - real Country music with real Christian lyrics.

Any lovers of Christian Country music here? Or any interest if you've never heard of it?

And, yes, here's a little shameless self promotion video. But I would really like to help get this genre more recognition out there!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. westex93

westex93 Tele-Meister

3. westex93

westex93 Tele-Meister

If anybody can help on that embed, I would much appreciate it! I've dropped YouTube videos here before, but I can't seem to get it to work now......

4. Drunkinminer

Drunkinminer Tele-Holic

Take everything after the = and put it in between the youtube tags.

5. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a fan Westex93...Country music really emphasizes the lyrics so it's an ideal medium to tell a story.

and a couple of my favorites by a great writer...

...who can really tell a story.

6. dr. love

dr. love Tele-Meister

I like it. I've actually been looking for some stuff like this.

7. sdlotus

sdlotus TDPRI Member

My blowed me away post any more you got.Thanks..................stanley

8. westex93

westex93 Tele-Meister

OK, here's a few more for you, Stanley. Never met these folks, but it's worth it for the Tele content.

One from Marty Raybon, lead singer for Shenandoah, who does Christian Country now.

One from Chuck Day. Chuck and his brother Greg are known as the writers of Southern Gospel’s most recorded song of all time “Midnight Cry”.

A good one by Danny Ray Harris.

A great patriotic song from Russ Murphy honoring our soldiers.

My buddy Tommy Brandt, five time ICM Male Vocalist of the Year.

My friend Jeff Dugan, who also show my music video for I’m Not That Way Anymore.

A great one by Hunter Erwin.

One from Cindy Hughlett, showcasing the more contemporary side of Christian Country.

One from the duo Branded. I love this song honoring our soldiers.

So there's you a few. Be sure and go check these guys out if you like their stuff!

9. westex93

westex93 Tele-Meister

Oh, and I forgot Jayc Harold! Gotta include him just for the Tele content. Jayc can pick heck out of one.

BTW, the blue Tele in this video was stolen this last year - around, Dallas, I believe. Any help relocating Ol' Blue will be much appreciated.

10. sdlotus

sdlotus TDPRI Member

Thanks for sharing westex.Now those are some good music in my book.And your stuff is right there with them........................stanley

11. westex93

westex93 Tele-Meister

Thanks, y'all! Although I'm not here just to promote myself but the entire genre. I would really like to get more recognition out there and, outside of the Cowboy Church circuit, some internet radio and a few syndicated shows that get picked up on Country and Southern Gospel station, it's just really not getting a lot of exposure out there. So how do we get it more recognized in the mainstream?

12. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, Wes.

13. Telebrand

Telebrand Tele-Meister

Hey folks, I am also really into the Christian country stuff, and trying to get out of the cowboy church thing. I attend and play for a cowboy church here in southeast Texas but those of us in the band are looking to expand. We mainly do a lot of the hymns, full band style. We also do a few re-writes, such as victory in Jesus over old habits, or we completely rewrite whiskey bent and hellbound, and it is now "I gave up whiskeybent for heaven bound." But we need more! And I really think the whole genre could he so much more!

14. westex93

westex93 Tele-Meister

Just my opinion, Telebrand (By the way, I see your location says Weatherford. My place is just west of W'ford, although we're in GA now), but the country song rewrite thing is way too overdone already. It's common place in Cowboy Churches all over the country. If your goal is to get outside of the cowboy church and expand, you're going to have to start doing more originals. Good bands and singers are a dime a dozen. It's ALL about the song. So sharpen up those pencils and get to work! Or find a really good songwriter to collaborate with. There are also several Christian Country organizations to hook up with out there.

Where in SE TX are you now?

15. Telebrand

Telebrand Tele-Meister

I am in jasper, which is about an hour north of Beaumont. It is my hometown, but I did live in weatherford for a few years. And I agree with you on the rewrites. The band had already done them when I came along, and I would rather not do them but they do go over good with the congregation.

16. westex93

westex93 Tele-Meister

I know where you're at, my wife is from Beaumont. And, yes, the rewrites go over in the cowboy church pretty well, but I get the feeling even they get tired of them after a while. Definitely start working on originals.

What church are you with? I've never played down there.

17. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Buddy Miller - PBS Concert, "Three Girls and their Buddy"

Heard this?

18. Telebrand

Telebrand Tele-Meister

I am with the jasper county cowboy church (jc3), westex93.

19. chicknpikr

chicknpikr Tele-Meister

AMEN..

good stuff ..I did secular country for 35 years ..just now made up my mind to quit once and for all and this is the kind of stuff I want to do here is a cut off our newest CD ..my son covering Gene watson gospel song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7bjSIP1Ycc

20. DoodlySquat

DoodlySquat Tele-Holic

The song, 'Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)' comes to mind. Not worship
    music (as it is a song in rememberence of 9/11) but it definitely has some Christian lyrics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.