Chrissie Hynde

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telecasterless, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

a free night out to see a legend that maybe not bring the old vibe of the original band...still worth going

2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Anyone can play the notes, but she is the voice.

3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Saw the Pretenders last year. They were pretty good! They did nothing off the most recent release as far as I could tell and played mostly the classics (enough of em that I recognized anyway). I noticed that Chrissy mostly plays chords up the neck a ways.

4. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hollywood Bowl is not the greatest venue but a nice night out, minimal investment, good seats. You can say you saw her, perhaps see something different and perhaps better.
    Around 2006 my wife got us seats to see BB King at the Kodak. He was not in good health, sat on an easy chair and talked about his music, The Blues and his life. He played his signature songs accompanied by a full band but it was a different experience. At first I was annoyed but quickly realized it was something really special. And I’m glad I can say I went.
    All Things Must Pass. Go see Chrissie Hynde.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  5. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My advice: Do Not go to see the Pretenders, but DO go to see Chrissie Hynde.

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Go

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

As far as performance, it should be great if she's into it still. I don't think with their music it matters who the musicians are. The real key to their songwriting success was the guitar player who died. Forget his name. But now they are covering their own songs and it should be great!

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

IMO you should just go. If you talk yourself out of it over the fear that it won't meet an expectation you have, you're probably talking yourself out of an evening of good music. Just go and listen to what they play and how they play it.

The musical quality really depends on planning, rehersal, and symbiosis between band members, conductor, and orchestra. I heard Peter Frampton play a full concert with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and it was great music. I heard Modern Jazz Quartet play a full concert with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and it was great music.

BTW: If you want to see Chrissie play and sing, go do it. There will be a point where she hangs up the Tele and doesn't gig any more. (Unless she joins the Rolling Stones. :lol:)

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Check out their Austin City Limits episode performance from a couple years ago on YouTube. If I close my eyes it sounds like the band in its prime to me. Definitely go. The Pretenders that I loved really haven't existed since the second album anyway, so I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle over the personnel.

tarheelbob and studio1087 like this.
  10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I had written off Chrissie Hynde years ago until I heard these tracks, and realized I'd made a big mistake:

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow... outstanding stuff! I want to play Dark Sunglasses, now.

12. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

yeah, I love the bowl for concerts. It's a great venue. Especially when you can get a box for 4 people. your own little private party patio. Also love the outdoors.

41144 likes this.
  13. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'd go.

That said, I was lucky enough to see the original lineup back in the day, and ain't nothin' gonna beat that. Honeyman was at the height of his powers (just after 'EP' came out) and Farndon was in full rock star mode. Chrissie was a little chippy, yelling at Pete to 'turn the F down' and chiding the audience for being too quiet.

And we saw them at NYC's Roseland (RIP) a few years ago with the five piece lineup with the pedal steel player. They sounded good, but it was a little annoying to have pedal steel shoehorned into every Pretenders song. I would have preferred that he went and got a beer on a few of the classic tunes - the steel was completely unnecessary in a lot of those old songs, IMO.

Still, it's Chrissie. And she's worth the ticket, especially if it's free.

- D

Telecasterless likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.