1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chrissie Hynde...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 1962guitargeek, Jul 7, 2013.

1. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello---

I've been reading this thread with some amusement.......always funny to see people's opinions mixed in with personal taste .
    The Tele that has been on lots of Pretenders stuff [from "Chain Gang onward ] is mine.
    [I just in fact put it back in it's case after using it yesterday]. Bremner played it on "Chain Gang" and some others on the "Learning to Crawl" album. This was a horrible time in Chrissie's life and she made a decision to focus on raising her two daughters for a few years as opposed to being a rock star. This decision alone [ based on her extremely tenacious resolve and "no nonsense" take on life ] raises her way above the likes of all the other " rock stars" who continued to record material and tour constantly. I know for a fact she doesn't give a flying ***** what anybody thinks of her . If the only thing she ever did was walk on stage and give her middle finger to the audience she has STILL cemented her place in the R & R Hall of Fame! A truely good person and a class act as well as one of the most imitated women in rock. This is just the "short " version..........

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Did I say they were hacks?

Nope.

I said they just didnt interest me.

Crack pipe and smoke it, sonny.

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Funny, I think of him as Pete Townshend's bassist. I love his playing on "Empty Glass".

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I almost mentioned that. :D

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yecccch!! X 5.

:eek:

6. boris bubbanov

Chrissie writes wonderful songs; Aretha is amazing but, like Barbra, she doesn't write and thus she didn't make the cut.

I have my rules and you, I submit, cannot change 'em. ;)

I think one has to look at the whole package otherwise I gotta take Caruso over Lennon. I ain't gonna do that.

7. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

No, and that's not the point. That fact that Chrissie wrote many of their best songs makes the Pretenders her voice and vision in a way that's different from a singer who interprets the songs of others (she does that well too). That's taking nothing away from them, but it's not really what we're talking about here.

You can't think about Chrissie Hynde without realizing that she wrote "Talk of the Town," "Brass in Pocket," "Message of Love," "Private Life," "Back on the Chain Gang," "Show Me," "My City Was Gone," "2000 Miles," "Middle of the Road," "I'll Stand By You," "Night in My Veins," "Revolution," among many others.

8. boris bubbanov

You know better than that. Not a lemon in the bunch.

But they're singers. I'm looking for composers, producers, instrumentalists and people 100% in charge or that's the ideal or the template.

You do have good taste, I'll grant you that. :)

9. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--
    Chris is a HUGE fan of all those singers. Her sense of humility and admiration is one of the driving forces behind her talent...she assimilates aspects of the greats that have come before her. In every one of her original songs there is a homage or reference to one or more artists that she admires.

Oh, and "I'll Stand By You" is one of her few collaborations. It helped her to get some airplay after laying low for awhile. Her co-songwriters [Steinberg and Kelly] had a VERY similar song for The Divinyls in Australia......

10. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Steinberg/Kelly co-wrote 5 songs on "Last of the Independents," 3 on "Viva el Amor" and 2 on "Loose Screw."

11. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

Skully-- Yep.... one of the few collaborations.

Another one is "Hymn To Her". Uncharacteristically enough the lyrics came from an old girlfriend of Chris'. Great song, too.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Aretha did a lot of her songs, but I think you know that. The problem I have with your post is that you say that your view is a "fact." You know better than that.

13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Slightly OT & sadly, we just lost Christine Amphlett.

14. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday Tele-Meister

If you add up voice, hotness, and songs, Chrissie is right on top. The top is always a bunch of people because people are different, but Chrissie is at the top.

Is she a personal jerk? Maybe. Probably. She certainly is 100% Certified Girl. The best personality went away when Annette went away.

And dig this: I just last week re-heard an interview where Terry Gross was trying, repeatedly, to goad Chrissie into bitching about The Plight Of Women In A Man's World. Each time, Chrissie just said, "I never had any problems."

And I'll bet she didn't.

15. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Rod, probably best to not include Aretha in that "...don't play anything" list. Aretha Franklin is a fantastic piano player and has been since she was just a young girl. Franklin was also often listed as co-producer in album credits, at a time when few vocalists were.

16. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

Bender66- Yeah,,, Amphlett.........very sad.
    Burn-- Nope, CH is NO personal jerk. She just keeps all the jerks out of her life and never tolerates fools or people who try to use her.
    She has triumphed over more "problems" in the course of a week then most people see in a lifetime because she knows the meaning of "responsibility " and cause and effect.

17. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

I think it's great she still makes really good new music. I am a little disappointed her latest bass and guitar player look like 20 something's from central casting. She could have had ME!

18. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I forgot, I think she is the best female rock vocalist ever. I can't listen to old Pretenders anymore (I used it up I guess), her output since then is uneven at best but she has a great voice.
    Back in the day everyone brought their copy of the first Pretenders album to the party.
    I saw them in 82 in Pittsburgh but I found the volume lacking, they didn't crush me like the Clash did. I was all about the volume then. Sounded great otherwise

19. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Best overall except for Robert Plant's Zeppelin days.

20. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

I saw her on tour with Stray Cats and ZZ top. It was a GREAT show and then toward the end she started mumbling some political mumbo jumbo stuff and vegetarian this or that...Totally turned me off

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.