1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chrissie Hynde...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 1962guitargeek, Jul 7, 2013.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep, her too. And many many others.

2. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I always though Chrissie Hynde was Keef in drag. Have I been mistaken all these years? :eek:

3. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

When i think of my favourite female musicians, she ain't in the discussion, I'm afraid. Hasn't done enough to compete, never mind to separate herself at the top of the tree.

No offence, YMMV, etc..............

4. ricksandteles

ricksandteles Tele-Meister

Susan Tedeschi

Attached Files:

5. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

PJ Harvey on this song anyway has a lot of Chrissie Hynde sound, also a nice dress and some thigh action.

6. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

Some nice firebird action too.

7. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

I had to look up Cherrie Currie. Debbie Harry and Nancy Wilson did some great stuff, but the body of work doesn't compare to Chrissie's. Pat Benatar, naah. I'm a little too young for Stevie Nicks to have been my rock goddess. Great song writer, her voice has both alluring and annoying qualities. With Fleetwood Mac the alluring qualities predominated. Her solo stuff after that brought out the annoying qualities more.

Take Chrissie's best ten original songs, and show me another female singer of that era with ten songs that are as good.

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My mistake. I thought you were talking about "Goddess" in the sense of being incredibly attractive.

What "era" are you referring to? Hynde put out 4 albums in the 80's, 3 in the 90's, and 2 more between 2000 and 2008.

However, from that era (1979 - 2008), Annie Lennox tops Chrissie Hynde in my book. So does Ann Wilson of Heart, even though Heart debuted a couple of years earlier and took a decade off. You might not like her music, but I'm putting Madonna up there as well. Sarah McLachlan's career started later, but her albums from 1993 onwards far outshone anything Chrissie Hynde did in that same period, as did the work of many other female artists.

Really though, of the 9 albums the Pretenders released in 28 years, only the first three were significant successes, and if you just look at the period from 1979 to 1984, Annie Lennox and Pat Benatar had far more success and much bigger hits. Chrissie Hynde, though, ranks very high in that 5-year period.

However, there's no doubt that classic rock radio stations prefer The Pretenders over Lennox and Benatar, and maybe that skews our perception of Chrissie Hynde's impact and importance.

9. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

I'm a fan of Annie Lennox, Sarah McLachlan, and yes, Madonna too. I have a lot of respect for Madonna's longevity and pop savvy but she's not a songwriter though she takes co-credit and I'm sure has made the real writers (and herself) wealthier than they would otherwise have been. Benatar was successful but, in my opinion doesnt rate with the others as a singer. She has a strangely expressionless voice that can belt it out but injects little emotion into the song.

I'd like to hear a top ten list (critical, not commercial) for some of those singers as I might discover tunes I missed.

10. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

I'll take Pink over Madonna any day. Pink actually does write her own stuff, it's not bubblegum pop either. She's a great (non-autotuned/lipsynched) voice and she can belt out a tune upside down in a cage, spinning around a stadium. Meanwhile, Madonna changes her image just to be seen to keep up, and dances around a bit. While Madonna-the-celeb may have longevity, I doubt her music will.

Hynde always had an aggressive rock chic (sic) thing going on, but really FM-radio'd out after 3 records.

Lennox is too angsty and right-on to be a rock chick. Again, her 80s output defined her place.

Stevie Nicks? Sorry, one for the codgers and spin-it-again and again FM. Give me Peter Green's FM instead.

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

down memory lane.... thanks Chrissy...

they always had good guitar sounds....:cool:

12. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

What little I've seen of Pink I liked. I agree a lot of the classic tunes of the Pretenders, Eurythmics, and Fleetwood Mac have been played to death on FM radio, but it's hardly fair to hold that against them in judging their quality. Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green and with Stevie and Lindsey were two different bands that happened to share a name. There are reasons why the former are remembered chiefly by blues rock guitarists and the latter became international superstars. Give Rumors a listen again, with fresh ears if that's possible. Surely one of the greatest albums ever to come out of the AOR era.

Did anyone ever write a better song than Landslide? One the other hand, if I never again hear anything that sounds just like a white winged dove, it'll be too soon... :)

13. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Pink (and pop) is not usually my thing, but the wife loves here latest CD and I think it's very good, and I listen to it regularly. She's a noticeable cut above, and is hugely massive over here. She's sold out a major Melbourne arena for 6 nights, and is spending most of this month touring Oz. Will her stuff last? who knows.

I think FM radio has reduced the 'quality' that was a lot of those tunes, by overplaying them. But I have weak stomach for SoCal Fleetwood Mac anyway.

14. Gazman163

Gazman163 Tele-Meister

+ 1 and she is one real nice person. Love ya Susan :oops:

15. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Hynde is pregnant with Ray Davies' child in the video.

The lead guitar is by Billy Bremmer and the bass is played by Tony Butler of Big Country fame.

16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Been posted here before, but it's somewhat current. Still a lot of energy. The lap player looks like he's hanging on for dear life.

17. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

are they ever any closer?

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Singers that dont play anything, and seldom write their own music, dont really interest me all that much.

You, and a zillion other people, will disagree, and thats fine.

19. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Sure, I understand. The likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Judy Garland, Julie London, Sarah Vaughan, Dinah Washington, Billie Holiday, etc., etc....what a bunch of hacks.

20. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Always enjoyed her music, finally saw her in concert a couple years ago. There must have been a shortage of f-bombs that week, because she was using them as if they were going extinct. All illusions of grandeur shattered.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.