1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chrissie Hynde...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 1962guitargeek, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Saw her and the boys in 1984 at Red Rocks-- one of my favorite concerts ever!

2. Colo Springs E

LOL yeah I have to agree with Skully--I really like Chrissie and loved the old Pretenders stuff, but hot? To me she's sort of a female version of Keith Richards, whom I assume most women wouldn't consider 'hot.'

On the other hand, if it's gonna happen... I would suggest bringing your 'A' game. :lol:

3. DaddyG

DaddyG Tele-Meister

I was acquainted with her briefly at one point in the past. Image and reality are miles apart.

4. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Chrissie is great!

5. StuR

StuR Banned

In a UK "Lad's Mag" series of i'views with the stars, many years ago, the last question was always "Describe yourself in 5 words". Her reply was "One hell of a s**g".
    (The second letter wasn't an " l ".

In recent years I've read i'views with one of their roadies and someone from the stables she owns/goes to(???) & they both said that she was a tad difficult ;) to get along with.

But as to her talents, I admit I'm going back a long way - but with Pretenders early hits she had an awesome smokey voice - and she was tidy on her Tele too!

6. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Credit where it's due for what she's good at, but I can't stand her myself and never could.

7. Colo Springs E

Expound...

8. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

We have a Christmas CD of mixed artists on which she sings "Have Yourself a Merry Little Xmas. She has an absolutely wonderful voice...great pipes. She sounds a lot like Connie Francis (for those born before 1960 or so). As far as her musicianship and songwriting, very good and certainly not "Middle of the Road" ;)

9. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I must be one of the few that just cant stand her.

10. dleuen

dleuen Tele-Meister

I was there too. Great band.

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Hey, we have a winner. Really, the first album was never equaled, let alone topped.

Love her vocals and a good bit of the writing, but as a guitarist...uh, no. Could someone please email her an inversion, or two?

Scott

12. DaddyG

DaddyG Tele-Meister

ColoSprings, I got a job at a place she was already working at in the early 70's in west Akron. Now to say that I know her would not be true. I did not even know that she was a musician. My take on her was that she had a bad attitude about everything and bitched a lot. She'd tell everybody all the time "F this, I'm moving to England". Maybe image and reality are closer than I thought. She has a brother that is a bassist in a real good band around here and is a very nice guy. My favorite Pretenders album is Learning to Crawl.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  13. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

She was the original rock goddess of my younger days. Was, is, and always will be great in my book. Not exactly what I'd call hot, but she's got something going on. Smart and talented is its own kind of sexy.

14. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

Hard to understand that view. The early stuff is great, but Learning to Crawl is one of the classic albums of all time. A couple of the albums that followed weren't up to the mark, but Last of the Independents is a great record. I'll admit I haven't followed her much since. For me, what her guitar contributes to the arrangements is her sense of timing. It wouldn't have sounded the same without her playing.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

In terms of musicianship, stage presence, and the ability to connect to the audience,

I think

Bonnie Raitt
    Emmylou Harris
    and Chrissie Hynde

between the three of them so dominate the Female Artist category

that there's no turf left for anyone else.

I don't know if this is good or bad but I consider it a fact.

I think a guy does himself a disservice if he gets too engrossed in whether who is this much or that much attractive. Get real. These ladies are Demi-Gods and you and I are the ground they walk upon.

I guess I could mess things up, call for four and include Joan Armatrading but you get the idea.

16. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I like a lot of "Last of the Independents," particularly "Night in My Veins," which I is the last thing of theirs that I loved, but overall it's very uneven.

Trivia question: What movie inspired that album's title?

17. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

She's come a long way from slagging off bands for a living in NME.

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

And then you quickly discovered Nancy Wilson, Debbie Harry, Stevie Nicks, Cherrie Currie, and Pat Benatar.

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Is this so-called fact based entirely on their ability to play guitar? Otherwise, you've ignored Tina Turner, Linda Ronstadt, Ann Wilson, Stevie Nicks, Barbra Streisand, Annie Lennox, and a few hundred other female artists who have had incredibly successful careers because of their ability to sing, dominate a stage, and connect with their audience.
    If you need to include the ability to play an instrument, there's Joni Mitchell, Sheryl Crow, Sarah McLachlan, and Aretha Franklin (piano), just to name a few.
    Are you really going to say that Chrissie Hynde is above Aretha Franklin?

20. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

What about Grace Slick, who's also wrote intelligent, unique songs?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.