Chris Stapleton Princeton, no sound

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by kram29, Jan 24, 2020.

1. kram29

kram29 TDPRI Member

So I've had this amp for several weeks, it was shipped across country used. Worked fine, perfect condition when I got it.

Played it last night before going to bed and it was perfect, today I go to use with no changes and now the amp powers on, but I have absolutely no sound.

-Plugged in direct and off my pedal board no change.
    -Second input no change.
    -Different guitar no change.
    -I can see in the back that tubes are lit, but with the tube cage I can't see them all.
    -Speaker cable into amp seams good

I bought this amp cause my Deluxe died and I didn't want to be bothered getting it repaired at this time so I bought this. Now I have two dead amps!!!

Please ideas?

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

My first thought would be one of your tubes is not fully inserted. Try to pull them out and push them back in.

cnlbb, King Fan and kram29 like this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Yes, try what @AlbertaGriff said first. Take out the tubes and put them back in, being sure to re-seat them as snugly as possible. Then try the amp again, and see where you are.

AlbertaGriff and kram29 like this.
  4. kram29

kram29 TDPRI Member

Get this, I left the amp on plugged in to guitar and I'm just sitting here next to it right now. Probably on for 20 minutes. I hear a tiny click or soft pop. Now it's working.

What the? Bad tube?

5. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Reseat tubes, reseat the speaker cable on the speaker. Then buy a couple of 12ax7s to have on hand and a spare set of 6v6s is always good.

kram29 likes this.
  6. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

It just needed a mojo refill.

Straydogger and kram29 like this.
  7. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Try a new rectifier tube. Usually they either work...or they don't; but I've seen some odd happenings with the current crop of tubes coming from China.

BobbyZ and kram29 like this.
  8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

My next thought is you might have a weak connection at one of the tube pins - as in weak soldering - which could be an easy fix if the problem reoccurs.

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If they copied the original 6g2 right the rectifier tube is a 5y3. Just spend a few bucks on an old USA 5y3 now, even a used one is fine but even NOS are pretty cheap.
    For what that amp cost you there's no point in taking a chance with a Chinese rectifier tube.
    Here's one good source.
    https://www.kcanostubes.com/catalog/17

Weather or not that was the problem it's hard to say. Could be been a loose tube or bad solder joint. Pretty good chance it'll happen again.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  10. kram29

kram29 TDPRI Member

I am a complete amp moron. Is a rectifier a straight swap no bias or anything?

11. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

Buy a ToneMaster..Problem solved.
    They will probably come out with a TM "Princeton" within the next year or so..
    ;)

12. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yep. Straight swap.

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Two high quality Fender amps died for no reason? I'm thinking its you! JK. Get the Deluxe repaired!

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

From your description you kept using the same cord. It’s stupid, I know, but that can be the culprit just as well as a loose tube. Maybe not on this occasion, but place “changing cord” very early in your troubleshooting routine.

Best of luck with your two amps … and if nothing else avails, take them to a tech. Better than having them broken around the house!

15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I know finding a decent tech is a pain, that's why I started doing amp work in the first place! Back in the early '90s.
    But you're gonna have to do that or learn how to DIY. Even giving up tube amps for soild state digital amps isn't a guaranty you won't have issues. My friend in town is doing more non tube amp repairs these days, than tube amps. I'm so glad I didn't buy into that store when I had the chance. I'd be fixing garbage like that now too just to pay the rent!

16. kram29

kram29 TDPRI Member

Thanks for input everyone, I'm going to take the cage off and check the tubes and order a new rectifier. But dang, the money is poring out of my arse lately on gear!!! I get everything setup and poof it's something else. Usually happens right after I buy something else. Last month my Martin freaked over the humidity drop and needed work as well! I was just about to buy some Waverly's for it when the Deluxe died. Then I bought the Princeton.

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Have you tried a different CABLE?

18. kram29

kram29 TDPRI Member

Yes, the amp comes on randomly if I power it on and leave it. I did that earlier and it just started working again. It's still doing this though, wasn't a one time thing.

19. kram29

kram29 TDPRI Member

So I took that backplate off. First time I turned it on, the rectifier tube flash and lit up and I had sound. Shut off the amp and turned it back on, no flash on the rectifier and doesn't look like it lit up. Look like that tube is the issue.

Mudman32 likes this.
  20. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Get an American made 5y3. They’re cheap, plentiful, and will last forever.

SnidelyWhiplash and kram29 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.