Chris Shifflet (Foo Fighters) Signature Tele, who's got one? Kicking the tires.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jpjr50, Aug 21, 2019.

1. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Well I sold my beloved Copper Burst 1 of 200 made Tele last year like an idiot. BUT, it had a high gloss maple neck which is not a fan of. Actually maple necks I don't like at all, I'm a rosewood guy.

I have single coils on my HSS Artic White Strat (Suhr V60LP Single Coils) so I want a Tele with Humbuckers and rosewood neck.

I proposed this same question on The Gear Page and several chimed in to look at the Chris Shifflet Sig Tele that fits my request. Best part they make in Artic White which would match my Strat. BUT, they didn't make many white ones, mostly Shoreline Gold.

I would changed the tuners to Fender Locking, the nut would be changed to Tusq and I'd possibly change the pickups to Suhr Thornbuckers if I don't like the stock ones. The music I play it totally coincidence as its Foo Fighters.

Who's got one of these and can tell me more?

I've only been playing guitar for a few years, started at age 44.

Here is my old Tele Copper Burst with Fender 1962 Reissue pickups and playing Foo. Take it easy on my, I'm still a noobie guitar player.

[​IMG]Untitled by jpjr50, on Flickr

swany likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I don't but I was recently on a Chris Shifflet bender and was amused to learn that this signature guitar is actually a copy of a partscaster Shifflet assembled for himself.

3. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I saw that. If you know Junin Cantador on YouTube he's in a very well known Foo Fighter cover band in Europe. He also does Foo tunes on his YouTube Channel. The one that came out yesterday, he's playing the guitar you speak of. I asked him about it in the comments. I had no idea this was even out there for sale.

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I think you've nailed it! good playing! Ive always wanted to learn this song, but just dont have the time..

I played one because it has one of my favorite color on a tele, shoreline gold, but Im not a humbucker guy, and also dont like the strat headstock on it, but it felt nice on the hands, nice weight, maybe the one I tried is heavy, its hefty but nothing like a boat anchor, good sounding pickups, but still too humbuckery for my taste.. so my next build will involve his signature tele body and my choice of neck..

if only I can fit a soapbar in that humbucker route..

5. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Is it just me, or is the pickguard hanging over the bottom edge?

Ugly as sin IMHO.

6. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Chris shiflett also has a great country music related podcast.... "Walking the Floor". Just saying.

6stringcowboy likes this.
  7. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I keep hoping they will make an MIM version of this baby.

[​IMG]

Murphcaster and dreamingtele like this.
  8. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Well my buddy bought one and it was all kinds of bad. Had to go back to GC 3 times. First one the truss rod was bad, second one electronics was crap, and the third was a bust as well. The neck was a bit twisted. Needless to say he gave up and went for a Gretsch.

9. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

It is, these were made by hand with mistakes and all. I have OCD so I'd obsess over that among other things on that guitar.

10. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Bruxist likes this.
  11. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Thanks Man! When I did that song I had been playing guitar maybe over a year. Started in mid-2015 (first time I picked up a guitar ever) and that was recorded Jan 26, 2017 so about 1.5 years. It's a very easy song. I did "My Hero" 2 months after that with 2 guitar parts (video is on my YT channel). Foo is tough with the number of guitarists.

12. dreamingtele

Ive been playing for 20 sum years... and I can say you nailed it cleanly.. good job!

13. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Thanks, very encouraging from you guys that have been playing a long time. Wish I started this journey 20 years ago, I would know all this theory and technique by now (I think).

Now I just need to get back into the Tele game. Only have an HSS Strat with Suhr pickups currently.

14. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I'm a huge Foo fan though I don't know much about this guitar. I'd rather have Dave's Trini Lopez in blue.
    I haven't really listened to any new Foo since Wasting Light. They got very boring to me after that. But I have seen them in concert about six times.

15. dreamingtele

This! I think Dave Grohl's Trini Lopez IS the guitar to get!

16. asnarski

asnarski TDPRI Member

Have one in Shoreline Gold. Had it about a year now, & everything is perfect, plus it cost me 75 bux less than my Deluxe & came with a hard case! I will say the neck pickup can be a little muddy, but I can eq that out with the precence control if I play it tru my Marshall. Bridge pickup is killer! Big plus is the pups are standard size unlike the WRHB’s in the deluxe. I fingered the cost saving would cover news pups if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Dave Grohl's Trini is like $8K to $10K. Eastwood makes a $699 knockoff. I haven't gotten into semi-hollow guitars yet.

@asnarski Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I was looking for. I may play one this weekend. I figure if I don't like the pickups I'll add Suhr Pete Thorn "Thornbuckers". I have them in my Strat and I just love everything about the way they sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.