Chris Ledoux

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rocking rooster, Sep 29, 2019.

1. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

Up till 3 weeks ago I'd never even heard the name, as far as I know he was totally unheard of in the UK. On my latest USA road trip I was in a truck stop in Georgia and they were playing the Garth Brooks song that name-checks him and decided to find out who he is (was).
    I've now spend hours on Youtube listening to his stuff and can't believe that he wasn't better known. From what I've read he was reasonably big in the USA. The UK is hardly a hotbed of country music but somebody that good really should have gained some recognition over here.
    A great talent, taken much too soon. This is my favourite song of his so far. Please tell me more about him or recommend some more songs of his.

stormsedge and Jim W like this.
  2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I’m not a GB fan but some how I came across a interview with him where he expanded on that connection.. it seems important to him, but was barely mentioned ( if at all) in the extensive GB coverage that was part of the recent multi part public television country music history program.

So much of life is simply being in the right place at the right time and catching the attention of the right people. You can miss that connection through no fault of your own, and despite ability, desire & hard work toil in relative obscurity, while others simply fall in to opportunities. Nowhere is this more prevalent than the arts.

To be fair Ledoux was ahead of the curve in having his own label and desiring creative control, and turning down several offers to sign, and when he did sign ( after the release of the song you heard) he was assigned to a subsidiary label. Still he has moved a significant amount of product; much of it as a independent , much of that on cassette. He won a few awards, and seemed poised to take his place with, Brooks, Straight et al, but now is practically unknown to the average listener.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

yup. there is country music.. but there is rodeo circuit, western music. chris ledoux is kind of hank in that sub sub genre. You might like Corb Lund too... which leads you to Chris Knight and Cody Jinnks and the Turnpike Troubadours and about 20 other quasi unknown (although they sell out on the circuit) bands and artists.

TeleTex82 and codamedia like this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Chris had an interesting history as a real rodeo cowboy. He self-recorded his music and sold copies to the other riders at rodeos. His music was like the bible to pro rodeo riders and cowboys in general.
    No doubt George Strait modeled his look on Chris: starched Wranglers, crease of the hat and the swagger.
    In his later years he mostly did covers as the illness worsened but his voice never failed him.

stormsedge and codamedia like this.
  5. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Chris was a star on the rodeo circuit, both as a competitor and as the entertainment. He was a great songwriter, with a unique voice that most wouldn't call "mainstream". His biggest international commercial hit *so to speak" would have been a song called "Cadillac Ranch"... (not the same Springsteen song popularized by the Dirt Band)... but (IMO) it's not the best representation of what he did.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    RodeoTex and ronzhd like this.
  6. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

Singing Cowboy, for real deal, still kind of a cult figure in the South and SW. "This Cowboys hat" is a favorite as well.
    RIP Chris Ledoux.

stormsedge, fendertx, getbent and 2 others like this.
  7. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

One of my absolute favorites... astonish songwriter, entertainer, and just all around guy.

getbent and codamedia like this.
  8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

getbent likes this.
  9. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ve known the men Chris talks about in this tune...this is (to me) the perfect example of Chris LeDoux

getbent likes this.
  10. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Today was a good day.
    Me and the kids listened to Rush and Chris.
    Was going to start a thread, but, this ‘un’s still fresh.

getbent likes this.
  11. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Saw him in 02 or 03. The man could put on a show.

12. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Have really enjoyed his work. This one a more low-keyed love epiphany tune...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.